2010 Memories

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

2010 Memories

Post by movieman1957 »

I go into every year thinking it has to be better than the last one and it seldom seems to come out that way. This has been a year of grief and aggravation for many of us. Some of our group have lost loved ones, had health issues, car fires, the loss of a beloved pet, (my wife is sitting in a Colorado nursing home with her 94 year old grandmother waiting for her to slip away) and sometimes it is just the day to day things of life that can get in the way of our joy.

So, hopefully, without duplicating the Good News thread, tell us what are your favorite memories from this year. I know there are some good ones.

One of my favorites was I got to meet "Sue Sue Applegate." Christy came to visit Baltimore and we had dinner together twice. Carolann joined us for one evening. I couldn't have had a more pleasant time. We talked about many of you and found out some things we have in common.

(BTW, share as much and as often as you like. We could all use a smile.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ChiO

Re: 2010 Memories

Post by ChiO »

Every year that one gets to the end of and has the opportunity to reflect is a good year.

In no particular order (well...maybe...some kinda order), some of the favorite memories -- past and future -- are:

Every year is book-ended with a black-tie New Year's Eve dinner party hosted by Mrs. ChiO and me at our home for four other very dear couples. A marvelous way to end one year and begin another (though, curiously, each year it seems to break up a little earlier). This will be our 22nd (or is it 23rd?). Oh well, the martini and champagne glasses will be sparkling.

A trip to San Francisco (always good) to see dusty film noir (it just got better), and meeting Lzcutter and Moraldo (and better), and spending time with Mr. and Mrs. Dewey (this is getting really good), with my family (the best).

Visiting our elder daughter and her husband a month before her due date.

The birth of Naomi Louise, our first grandchild and...THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CHILD IN THE WORLD!!!

Visiting Naomi Louise -- THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CHILD IN THE WORLD!!! -- (and her parents) the week of her birth.

Our younger daughter graduating college! In four years!!!

Again, visiting Naomi Louise -- THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CHILD IN THE WORLD!!! -- (and her parents).

Naomi Louise -- THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CHILD IN THE WORLD!!! -- (and her parents) visiting us for a gala presentation in our back yard to Chicago.

Again, visiting Naomi Louise -- THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CHILD IN THE WORLD!!! -- (and her parents), at which time we belatedly learned that her father had gotten tenure at George Mason University.

Awaiting the arrival of Naomi Louise -- THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CHILD IN THE WORLD!!! -- (and her parents) at our home for her first Christmas.

(Knitty -- I didn't mention Butler beating KSU, so you need not mention the Duke game.)
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

my best memories of this year:

Getting to know Alison, Ark,Chio, the Dewmeister,Jack F, Birdy and JDB1 even better. Seeing pictures of Naomi Louise and "Bix". Surviving a could-have-been-deadly car accident. Finding out more about 'our' Ben. Having a 4 day mini vacation in the 'Zarks with my best friend of 60 years, although I am only 35.... :roll: :roll:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

ChiO:
I was counting on some mention of Naomi Louise. (Is her official middle name also include "The Most Beautiful Child In The World"?)

Nancy:
Sounds like all in all things were okay. I think "blessed" works for you.

Since I mentioned it - Carolann's grandmother passed away this afternoon. All is well.
Chris

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Chris,
What a wonderful idea for a thread.

My best memories of 2010:

1) The TCM Film Festival where I got to meet Kingrat and Countessdelave and renew my friendship with the unstoppable SueSueApplegate. They joined with Kyle and Peter to make the social part of the film festival incredibly memorable for me. And yes, TCM delivered the goods, x5 billion, on the movie side.

2) Meeting Dewey, Mrs. Dewey and ChiO and discovering how awful Johnny Cool really is and how great Cop Killer truly is.

3) Talking John Ford anytime, anywhere.

4) All the time spent here at the Silver Screen Oasis with the best group of cinephiles anywhere.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Chris, I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure Carolann was a blessing to her grandmother. Give her a hug from me.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm sorry for your loss Chris.

For me the high points were meeting Synnove and Brenda. One Swedish, one American and they both came to England and I was able to meet them both.

Another highpoint getting Miss Molly our tortoiseshell kitten and the naughtiest cat I have ever known. Charlie, now 18 months is a blessing too, he's got very soft, loving cuddles and when no one is looking cudding under the covers on a cold winter's night, he's fully grown with bright ginger stripes and so handsome.

The low point is being ill for so long. Years ago I had a medical condition that was dehabilitating and in some measure it's come back this year. I'm getting there though, with pleny of help from you guys.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Nancy:
Sounds like all in all things were okay. I think "blessed" works for you.
I am blessed, Chris, with friends like you and so many others here at the Oasis. Thanks.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Church group Christmas Party. (Carolann was in Colorado.) That is my ugly face on the bottom right, kneeling)

Later that night. (No drinking was involved.)

Chris

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, Chris, thanks for posting those. You all look so happy together and you look just like you write--very friendly and endearing. I particularly like the way that everyone in these pictures is so distinctively individual, yet you all seem quite at ease with one another.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

That's a lovely picture Chris, full of the spirit of Christmas.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

We're a diverse group for the differences in our ages. Most of us are in our late 40s to early 50s. But we have several couples that are young enough to be our children. I don't quite know the appeal but they like hanging out with us. It's a great group.

Thank you Moira (you are very kind to say that) and Allison.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Chris,
what a happy looking group of friends you have. And I agree with Moira, you DO look like you write..calm, friendly, happy from the inside out! Thanks for sharing.

Nancy
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Chris,
I am so sorry to hear about Carol Ann's grandmother.

But I am so grateful for the wonderful visits we had. And another wonderful idea for this thread. Your photos are lovely!

I am also lucky to have many wonderful memories of the TCM Festival, and glad that I got to meet Kingrat, pvitari, Peter, and
many other wonderful folks at the Festival.

I had so much fun being Lynn's roomie, and having a great friend to share everything with. :lol:

Merry Christmas, everybody!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor