Hollywood Between the Wars Discussion Online

moira finnie
Administrator

Hollywood Between the Wars Discussion Online

Post by moira finnie »

Foratv.com is a site that hosts a series of discussions with scholars and writers about many topics, including Hollywood Between the Wars. I have just discovered that our wonderfully funny and informative former guest star Eve Golden has contributed her observations to one session focusing on Vaudeville. Eve talks about every aspect of that life and her fellow speaker, Armond Fields (the author of a history of vaudeville and a descendant of Lew Fields) link the impact of the decline of vaudeville with the rise of movies and how one tradition was cannibalized and romanticized by the movies. (Unfortunately, the 77 year old Mr. Fields died shortly after this was filmed, though he was very lively here).

This is not the only aspect of movies that is explored--there are lively discussions about the press and Hollywood, Orson Welles, Citizen Kane, (this material is really interesting since one of the many supporters of Fora is Wm. Randolph Hearst III), Fatty Arbuckle, and the supposed lifestyles of the favored few working in the film industry. I thought perhaps a few others would enjoy seeing these clips and full discussions when you have time:

http://fora.tv/series/hollywoodbtwnwars
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
sandykaypax

Re: Hollywood Between the Wars Discussion Online

Post by sandykaypax »

I just wandered down to these forums and saw this post--7 months later! Thanks for posting this, Moira. I've bookmarked the link so that I can enjoy it later. I've always had an interest in vaudeville because of my interest in musical theatre (I played both Dainty June AND stripper Tessie Tura in GYPSY :) ). A few years ago, I used a vaudeville theme for the summer theatre camp that I direct and I really enjoyed researching vaudeville--it really had a HUGE influence on classic film. After all, they weren't that far removed from it in the 1930's and 1940's--the heyday was perhaps over, though.

Sandy K
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'm thrilled to think that you might enjoy this too, Sandy.

How I'd love to have seen you in Gypsy in either role--though I bet Tessie Tura is the most fun to portray! I am catching a few moments of the Joan Blondell musicals that are popping up in today's TCM tribute to the cutie pie of all time (Joanie!) for Summer Under the Stars, and the Vaudeville influence is everywhere from the songs to the visual and dramatic shorthand used to bridge scenes, the pacing and the hardscrabble life that these movies often depict.

I know that your enthusiasm for theater and musicals in particular is probably conveyed in every minute that those lucky youngsters get to share with you at your theatrical camp. Wish I could drop by for the show! It's great seeing you posting.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Moira, what a sweet reply to my post. Yes, playing Tessie Tura the stripper was more fun than Dainty June, ha! The story is actually kinda funny--I was cast as Tessie Tura, who doesn't appear until Act 2 in the show, and Dainty June only appears in Act One. I was also assisting the director with the choreography for the show. One week before the show opened, the girl playing Dainty June had to drop out, so since I was the only one who really knew her choreography, AND I was only in the second act, I played BOTH roles in the same show. I wore a blonde wig for June and a red wig for Tessie (I am naturally brunette). I was a bit long in the tooth for June, but as they say, the show must go on! Unbelievably, most people didn't realize it was the same actress in both roles.

Sandy K