Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Allhallowsday

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by Allhallowsday »

Allhallowsday wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 3:14 pm
jimimac71 wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 2:02 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 1:41 pm JULIE (1956) Eck. We are inflicted with DORIS DAY's angst from the git-go. LOUIS JORDAN is a CREEP within seconds.
I would describe the movie JULIE as protracted. I did not love it.
If you mean too long by "protracted," ...
Protracted as in tedious.
BTW, JULIE does a much better job in the cockpit than the driver's seat.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: July 24th, 2023, 8:52 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 2:30 pm I'm a Doris Day fan but JULIE is awful. Poor Doris, so ill-served by all her husbands (in real life). Those lovely Carmel settings just do not jibe with the hokey Victorian "had I but known" genre of women terrorized by a homicidal spouse. Day's voiceovers do not help. "I felt strangely disturbed" No kidding. Then of course there is the incongruity of those final infamous airplane scenes. "Lift the left wing higher, honey"
They could've done without the overheated narration. I think she says "strangely disturbing" twice in the film! The only place where it helped was explaining the apt in S.F. but they could've had her explain that in dialog. Still, the film is very entertaining and moves along at a brisk pace. I can't see Anne Francis pulling it off (Eddie mentioned it was originally intended for her) She just didn't have the star power.

Actually I couldn't wait for it to be over, lol. There was, however, one creepy part where Doris picks up her phone and hears a concerto or some other Jourdan piano piece playing -- there should have been more MIDNIGHT LACE-type scenes like that. As it is I must say I was, well, kinda bored. Agree about Anne Francis. (but I must give a heads-up to Anne in an unexpectedly artful performance as Dick Powell's bitchy girlfriend in SUSAN SLEPT HERE)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

:shock: :shock: Something is rotten in the state of Denmark and that would be 1961's REPTILICUS where a prehistoric puppet menaces wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen and places their Tivoli Gardens in dire jeopardy. In the "better" (ha!) European version that occasionally airs, American audiences are treated to an interesting segment with custodian Dirch Passer (sort of a Danish Jerry Lewis) who warbles the bizarrely catchy folk tune 'Tilicus to a group of mesmerized children. Dirch and the kids gambol around the countryside as if the monster were nothing more than a fairy-tale beastie waiting to say hello with candy-colored dragon breath.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

There's a YouTube video with Dirch Passer singing his infamous 'Tilicus but I am having the devil of a time uploading it.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 27th, 2023, 11:36 pm
Hibi wrote: July 24th, 2023, 8:52 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 2:30 pm I'm a Doris Day fan but JULIE is awful. Poor Doris, so ill-served by all her husbands (in real life). Those lovely Carmel settings just do not jibe with the hokey Victorian "had I but known" genre of women terrorized by a homicidal spouse. Day's voiceovers do not help. "I felt strangely disturbed" No kidding. Then of course there is the incongruity of those final infamous airplane scenes. "Lift the left wing higher, honey"
They could've done without the overheated narration. I think she says "strangely disturbing" twice in the film! The only place where it helped was explaining the apt in S.F. but they could've had her explain that in dialog. Still, the film is very entertaining and moves along at a brisk pace. I can't see Anne Francis pulling it off (Eddie mentioned it was originally intended for her) She just didn't have the star power.

Actually I couldn't wait for it to be over, lol. There was, however, one creepy part where Doris picks up her phone and hears a concerto or some other Jourdan piano piece playing -- there should have been more MIDNIGHT LACE-type scenes like that. As it is I must say I was, well, kinda bored. Agree about Anne Francis. (but I must give a heads-up to Anne in an unexpectedly artful performance as Dick Powell's bitchy girlfriend in SUSAN SLEPT HERE)
Didn't mean to imply Anne couldn't have handled the part. She was a good actress, she just wasn't leading lady material (as far as carrying a film on her name alone). Doris could.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Oh I know, Hibi! It's just that whenever I see Anne Francis' name anywhere I feel compelled to mention her in SUSAN SLEPT HERE to everybody, lol.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

kingrat wrote: August 1st, 2023, 10:23 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 6:01 pm I found another one last night, 1982's Yes Giorgio, the vehicle for Pavarotti. It got scorched earth reviews, its corny as all get out, and it is a plot that probably passed its sell by date around 1940 (when the studios largely, except for the later Mario Lanza, stopped making all those operatic musicals), but its also cute, likable,and I could not resist some fine operatic performances.
It was said that originally the film was supposed to include a rear-view nude scene for Pavarotti. Fortunately we were spared that.
Oh, so THAT explains why I had heard 'Yes, Giorgio' 's original working title was...wait for it...

(...'Moon Over Milano')
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS (1970) It's as wonderfully wretched as you've heard...

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 1st, 2023, 10:31 am Oh I know, Hibi! It's just that whenever I see Anne Francis' name anywhere I feel compelled to mention her in SUSAN SLEPT HERE to everybody, lol.
She was in that???? Didn't know! I've never watched the movie.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 6:01 pm I found another one last night, 1982's Yes Giorgio, the vehicle for Pavarotti. It got scorched earth reviews, its corny as all get out, and it is a plot that probably passed its sell by date around 1940 (when the studios largely, except for the later Mario Lanza, stopped making all those operatic musicals), but its also cute, likable,and I could not resist some fine operatic performances.
It was said that originally the film was supposed to include a rear-view nude scene for Pavarotti. Fortunately we were spared that.

Actually, I thought the film should have gone the whole hog to 1940 fantasy: Pavarotti has been lying about having a wife, just to fend off his admirers, and he and the nice doctor (Kathryn Harrold) get married at the end.

Fun fact: in sequence, Kathryn Harrold, Kathleen Turner, and Kim Zimmer played the same role on The Doctors.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! That shot would've packed theaters!!! LMREO!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: August 7th, 2023, 4:02 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 1st, 2023, 10:31 am Oh I know, Hibi! It's just that whenever I see Anne Francis' name anywhere I feel compelled to mention her in SUSAN SLEPT HERE to everybody, lol.
She was in that???? Didn't know! I've never watched the movie.

Yep and she's terrific! I could kick myself for not alerting everyone to the film as I forgot it was part of the Debbie Reynolds SUTS line-up a few days ago. Sorry about that. SUSAN SLEPT HERE is one of my favorite '50's Christmas movies. I love Dick Powell's Hollywood apartment.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I'll have to record it next time around. It pops up fairly often.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

According to QVC "Christmas is right around the corner" lol so we should expect SUSAN SLEPT HERE to air sometime in December as it sometimes does in between the more usual holiday movie suspects.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Actually, I thought the film should have gone the whole hog to 1940 fantasy: Pavarotti has been lying about having a wife, just to fend off his admirers, and he and the nice doctor (Kathryn Harrold) get married at the end.

Fun fact: in sequence, Kathryn Harrold, Kathleen Turner, and Kim Zimmer played the same role on The Doctors.
Thankfully we were spared Pavorotti's rear, but we were not lucky enough to avoid Dennis Franz's a dozen years later on NYPD Blue. I'mstill a bit emotionally scarred over that one.