Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jamesjazzguitar

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

LostHorizons wrote: October 5th, 2023, 4:54 am Does the Hunger count as a bad movie? I certainly don’t love it but it was a time killer.
I view Hunger as a bad movie and not one I love. I was surprised my Italian wife was aware of this film. She said it was fairly big in Italy during the 80s.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

LostHorizons wrote: October 5th, 2023, 4:54 am Does the Hunger count as a bad movie? I certainly don’t love it but it was a time killer.

There are no rules, and it's a subject I love. If a movie is bad, it's typically subjective. THE HUNGER has a lot to recommend it as "good" but I don't think it's very good. and in fact may be BAD FOR YOU, an opinion I have about a few movies.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

The Hunger is an example of a film that starts off OK for its type, but loses its way. Note how after the (unnecessary and exploitative) sex scene with Deneuve and Sarandon, how the story falls completely apart, as it goes in for vague imagery to fill in for a story that completely collapses. That said, the first half does have the feeling of sleazy decadence I think they were going for, and David Bowie does give a good performance. I just think though that Tony Scott is not a good director, and as dim on the film as I am, it is probably better than his others.....

That said, I know that audiences around my age have reevaluated it and love it and it actually has a higher score on Letterboxd than Terms of Endearment, that year's best picture winner, which certainly feels like a mistake of judgment.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR -- cardboard Technicolor remake of 1939's THE RAINS CAME, with Lana Turner as sexual predator Lady Edwina Esketh (married to Michael Rennie) falling helplessly in love for the very first time (golly!) with righteous, noble Indian doctor Richard Burton who unfortunately thanks to the unsubtle, banal script must go through the entire film uttering tedious philosophical summations in his crisp familiar actor voice as though it were a production of some lofty Shakespearean play. Fred MacMurray is at his most tediously cynical as Lana's old society friend. Turner eventually comes down with some form of the plague which is knocking the local villagers off like flies but in her case it turns out to just be your typical movie illness which the missionary wife treats with aspirin.

Turner wrestles with an emerging moral conscience -- "But darling, it's wrong! Everything about it is wrong!" as she comes to realize that self-sacrifice is the only road to true happiness.
CinemaInternational

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 9th, 2024, 7:46 pm THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR -- cardboard Technicolor remake of 1939's THE RAINS CAME, with Lana Turner as sexual predator Lady Edwina Esketh (married to Michael Rennie) falling helplessly in love for the very first time (golly!) with righteous, noble Indian doctor Richard Burton who unfortunately thanks to the unsubtle, banal script must go through the entire film uttering tedious philosophical summations in his crisp familiar actor voice as though it were a production of some lofty Shakespearean play. Fred MacMurray is at his most tediously cynical as Lana's old society friend. Turner eventually comes down with some form of the plague which is knocking the local villagers off like flies but in her case it turns out to just be your typical movie illness which the missionary wife treats with aspirin.

Turner wrestles with an emerging moral conscience -- "But darling, it's wrong! Everything about it is wrong!" as she comes to realize that self-sacrifice is the only road to true happiness.
It might not be the best film.... but it is better than Lana's other 1955 film The Prodigal, which is truly hard to sit through and a great distortion of the parable from the Bible.

The original version is better, but I was kind of pleasantly surprised here that Lana had a better fate than Myrna Loy's character in the original
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I have never seen THE PRODIGAL! Hope Fox Channel runs it soon!

THE RAINS CAME is of course superior -- nuanced, bittersweetly romantic, with fine performances by Myrna, George, Tyrone, Maria (Ouspenskya) and nasty Nigel.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 12:43 pm I have never seen THE PRODIGAL! Hope Fox Channel runs it soon!

THE RAINS CAME is of course superior -- nuanced, bittersweetly romantic, with fine performances by Myrna, George, Tyrone, Maria (Ouspenskya) and nasty Nigel.
...and Brenda Joyce :smiley_heartbounce:

:)
Mona
CinemaInternational

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 12:43 pm I have never seen THE PRODIGAL! Hope Fox Channel runs it soon!

Beware of The Prodigal. It's honestly one of the worst movies made prior to 1970.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

laffite wrote: March 13th, 2024, 1:20 pm

...and Brenda Joyce :smiley_heartbounce:

:)

Yep, Brenda is sweet college student Fern (played by Joan Caulfield in THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR). Later on Joyce would be swinging with Johnny Weissmuller in the post-Maureen O'Sullivan Tarzans.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 13th, 2024, 2:19 pm

Beware of The Prodigal. It's honestly one of the worst movies made prior to 1970.

Really? I can't wait!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 2:30 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: March 13th, 2024, 2:19 pm ...Beware of The Prodigal. It's honestly one of the worst movies made prior to 1970.
Really? I can't wait!
Apparently Cinemainternational has not seen MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE... :)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Love At First Bite
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Allhallowsday wrote: March 13th, 2024, 8:46 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 2:30 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: March 13th, 2024, 2:19 pm ...Beware of The Prodigal. It's honestly one of the worst movies made prior to 1970.
Really? I can't wait!
Apparently Cinemainternational has not seen MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE... :)

I can't wait to see that one too!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Wait a minute -- I think I did see MANOS.

One of the very worst!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 13th, 2024, 2:19 pm

For some reason, I've never seen The Prodigal. I think TCM has shown it (very rarely) I think a big reason I've never bothered to watch it is it seems like it would be a tough slog (Bad, but not in a good way).