Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
LostHorizons

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by LostHorizons »

Myra Breckinridge for me. I think it’s hilarious. I read the book and it largely is faithful to it. The use of inserting old film clips as “reactions” to the onscreen antics of Myra is also funny. Oliver Hardy pouring milk on himself in 1940 would never have guessed the lewd context it would be used in years later. Overall, it is a film I just never got the hate for.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Cuthbert wrote: October 26th, 2022, 6:29 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: October 24th, 2022, 9:33 pm RE: WHOEVER SLEW AUNTIE ROO
I saw it for the first time when TCM aired it recently as part of their “Creepy Cinema” spotlight. I was thoroughly entertained.
When Roo (Shelley Winters) was making her New Years dinner, I expected her to put the apple that she’d taken some bites out of into the bowl!

***SPOILER ALERT***
Mark Lester's character may well be the Anti-Oliver.
I watched the film again a while back and was reminded of my favorite line. The kids are locked in the closet. Shelley Winters is cooking in the kitchen. The little girl speaks to her. Shelly replies, in her best Brooklyn accent: "You mustn't disturb the cook when she's making something delicious!"

Am I remembering correctly that Mark Lester's character is a sadistic little kid, and the implication is that he's going to be a monster as an adult?

Who is the real villain/witch in this film?
The look on Mark Lester's face when he says "Bloody good fire" while Roo (Shelley Winters) is in the burning house . . .
Creepy!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

speedracer5 wrote: October 25th, 2022, 10:36 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: October 25th, 2022, 2:02 pm Guess I must have bad taste since i unapolagetically loved two films mentioned in the original post: Penelope and Breezy.
I also love Penelope. I am also a fan of the Elvis movies. And I love Valley of the Dolls. I don't care. I never claimed to have "taste." I look for things that entertain, and 'Dolls' definitely fits that category for me.
Like CinemaInternational and speedracer, I love PENELOPE. For a while the only way to watch this movie was on TCM.
The costumes that Edith Head designed for Natalie Wood for this movie are amazing!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I'm hoping it's not too soon to play the Lylah card, but I unapologetically love THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE.

"Get your ### out there and tell them, Lylah's coming."

CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I'm surprised that Valley of the Dolls wasn't really mentioned much earlier in the thread. It's most enjoyable and engrossing, and definitely the best of the three Jacqueline Susann adaptations (1971's The Love Machine has a bit of the good camp going for it and is fun in that regard but it is slightly chilled by a beating scene and by John phillip Law being very surface level as what was supposed to be a charismatic villain and 1975's Once is not Enough just takes itself too seriously although Brenda Vaccaro is great fun in it.)
Masha

Post by Masha »

I would like to know who labeled: Penelope (1966) a bad movie. It is very camp and the plot is a bit superficial but it is a glorious romp.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Masha wrote: October 29th, 2022, 2:54 pm I would like to know who labeled: Penelope (1966) a bad movie. It is very camp and the plot is a bit superficial but it is a glorious romp.
I know, Masha.
PENELOPE may be superficial (nothing wrong with that in my opinion), but it is certainly not a bad movie.
CinemaInternational

Masha wrote: October 29th, 2022, 2:54 pm I would like to know who labeled: Penelope (1966) a bad movie. It is very camp and the plot is a bit superficial but it is a glorious romp.
The original poster of this thread, many years ago now....
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

A "bad movie" that I've never seen but have always wanted to see is Can Heironymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?

Shock Cinema Review

Midnight Only Review

TV Cream Review
Last edited by EP Millstone on November 29th, 2022, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I have a problem with the title of this thread, because if I love a movie, then by definition, it's a good movie!
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Guillermo del Toro savaged his first short film Geometria but I thought it was really funny. Of course, he was probably just being modest when he called it a bad film.
CinemaInternational

EP Millstone wrote: November 4th, 2022, 7:43 pm A "bad movie" that I've never seen but have always wanted to see is Can Heironymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?

Shock Cinema Review
https://www.shockcinemamagazine.com/heironymus.html

Midnight Only Review
http://www.midnightonly.com/2016/02/06/ ... ness-1969/

TV Cream Review
https://www.tvcream.co.uk/films/cream-c ... happiness/
I am reminded that this film ended up causing a real-life divorce between the two leads......
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

The Ice Pirates is one I found very fun though it is usually widely criticized. Ron Perlman is embarrassed by it.
CinemaInternational

Saw 1958's The Female Animal the other day, and I think it might qualify. It's delightfully tacky with Hedy Lamarr and adopted daughter (!) Jane Powell clawing to keep the interest of George Nader who is at one point shown in lamé swim trunks while lavishing attention on Hedy. It's all faintly absurd, but a lot of fun to watch.

Also, after perusing this thread earlier, I checked out many of the films listed earlier: Claudille Inglish, The Miracle, Parrish, Susan Slade, and Where Love Has Gone. Where Love Has Gone was very enjoyable despite a rushed fatalistic ending and the miscasting of Joey Heatherton opposite two heavyweights like Susan Hayward and Bette Davis. The Miracle actually started off as an extremely good film, but became just a decent one after Carroll Baker left the convent; the scene of the miracle itself moved me to tears.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

THE CARETAKERS
Polly Bergen, of all people, goes nuts and so will you.