TCM Classic Cruise

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

TCM Classic Cruise

Post by moira finnie »

TCM announced this morning that the first TCM Classic Movie cruise will run from Dec. 8-12, 2011. It will be a four-day/four-night event aboard the Celebrity Millennium and will sail from Miami to Key West and Cozumel. The ship holds 2,000 passengers in 1,017 staterooms, 80% of which feature an ocean view. Pre-sale begins May 9 and runs through May 19. Cabins go on sale publicly May 20. Prices for interior cabins start at $795, which also includes meals, entertainment, and onboard activities. The TCM Classic Cruise will include live appearances by Hollywood legends, as well as exclusive events with Robert Osborne and TCM weekend daytime host Ben Mankiewicz. In addition to the ocean liner’s amenities, travelers will be treated to a wide variety of movie-themed events, from screenings and panel discussions to trivia contests and parties.“After the enormous success of the TCM Classic Film Festival and our Road to Hollywood tour, the TCM Classic Cruise will once again demonstrate that TCM is more than just a network; it’s a community,” said Dennis Adamovich, senior vice president of brand and digital activation/general manager of festivals for TCM, TBS and TNT.

To see more about this event, the website www.tcmclassiccruise.com features more information and details on booking a reservation. Here's the itinerary as of today:

Thursday, Dec 8, 2011 - Depart Miami, FL (approx. @ 4:30pm)
Friday, Dec 9, 2011 - Key West, Florida (7:00am - 1:30pm)
Saturday, Dec 10, 2011 - Cozumel, Mexico (11:30am - 8:30pm)
Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 - Day at Sea
Monday, Dec 12, 2011 - Arrive Miami, FL (approx. @ 7:00am ET)

Even if most of us can only enjoy this trip vicariously, watch this thread for updates as they become available. I hope that anyone going will post here too. Bon Voyage, friends!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
pvitari

Re: TCM Classic Cruise

Post by pvitari »

My husband and I have been going round and round about this cruise.

Con:
More expensive than regular cruises, presumably because of the movies/events and celebrity guests, who will all be comped with suites, no doubt

Watching movies, going to panels, etc., which you can do anywhere and if you're doing it on a cruise, then you're not on deck enjoying the sea air, the water, etc.

Non-optimal venues for movie watching, i.e., there will probably be a head or heads blocking my view of the screen

Husband not interested really in movies and celebrity guests, he'd just come along "for the ride" because he's never been on a cruise and would like to go, which means we'd be apart a lot of the time

Pro:
It probably will be a lot of fun!

Celebrity guests you can schmooze with because it's a cruise and unless you're tied up in port or they hide in their cabins, they can't get away from ya ;)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Here are my list of movies I'd like to see shown on the Cruise:

The Navigator

Love Affair/An Affair to Remember

One Way Passage

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I'm leaning now towards skipping the cruise and waiting to see reviews from the first one.

How about Ship of Fools as programming, though? :)

And History is Made at Night, A Night to Remember and Titanic. :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yeah, I purposely stayed away from the ship sinking theme....

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I don't know if I'll be able to go, but I hope they show Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison... :lol:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
feaito

Post by feaito »

I got registered a month ago for the pre-sale of tickets for this Cruise, but not knowing what its specific features were and having to fly from Santiago de Chile which made all much more expensive for me, I decided not to go....I hope it turns out to be a success.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Dear Fernando,

I know what you mean and I empathize with you...
It would be a long distance to travel for me also; and for only 4 days cruise, not worth it. If the cruise were longer - 10 days or more - then I would consider it....

The social aspect of the cruise would interest me more than any movies; and we could probably finally get to meet Joe (Mongo) - and that would be nice.

The TCM Festival in LA interests me more, as it is old stomping grounds and I know a lot more people there and can stay longer...
Perhaps you can focus more on next April in LA - so many people would be glad to see you there!!

Larry
feaito

Post by feaito »

Larry, Hello, just my feelings. I'd love to be able to attend 2012's TCM Festival! Best, FER
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Relax guys. Joe ain't going either. Too expensive for such a short trip, although it would've been nice to have met you both.
One of these days.
Joseph Goodheart
feaito

Post by feaito »

DITTO to both statements Joe! :wink:
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Ditto Mongo, Larry and 'Nando! I hope one day we can all meet up! Reading all your interesting posts has been such a wonderful pursuit for me, that I know we would not lack for stimulating conversation and hearty laughs!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Say, uh... whatever happened to the TCM Classic Cruise? Wasn't it supposed to be Dec. 8-13? I have looked for information about it and can't find anything, nor have I received any of the usual e-mails TCM sends out about its events. I looked at the website and there was a brief note about the cruise being "memorable" but no videos or any of the usual TCM thing, unlike the TCM festival in Hollywood which is covered extensively.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Paula, I also would like to know about this Cruise, because I pondered to participate...
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

There seems to be some discussion about the cruise by those who attended at the link below on the TCM Message Boards:

http://forums.tcm.com/forum.jspa?forumID=418
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks