Albert Capellani Silents

Ann Harding

Albert Capellani Silents

Post by Ann Harding »

A new boxset of Capellani pictures just came out in France. Pathé just released a 4-DVD box with four features and 7 shorts. Albert capellani was one of the most important directors of teens. He was under contract with Pathé for years before moving to the USA. This box is a great opportunity to discover some great silents which had been unavailable for years.
Here is the review of two features.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Quatre-vingt-treize (Ninety-three, 1914/1921) by Albert Capellani & André Antoine with Paul Capellani, Henry Krauss and Philippe Garnier

The story takes place in Brittany in 1793 during the Terror. While the Marquess of Lantenac (P. Garnier) joins the Chouans (royalist insurgents), his nephew Gauvain (P. Capellani) becomes a soldier in the Revolutionary army. The third character is the former priest, Cimourdain, who becomes the head of the Revolutionary army. He was the one who opened Gauvain's eyes to the new ideas by giving him Rousseau to read. In this adaptation of Victor Hugo's novel the destiny of the three characters are heading for collision. The film shooting was stopped abruptly by the beginning of WWI. A few years later, André Antoine took over as Capellani was unavailable to finish it as he was in America. The film didn't came out until 1921. Obviously, in the space of 7 years, cinema had moved forward dramatically and Quatre-vingt-treize was undoubtedly dated when it came out. But if we look at it as a 1914 picture, it's a tremendous achievement. The adaptation manages to show the evolution of all three characters and the kind of dilemna they have to face when making decisions. Lantenac is a ruthless royalist. He disguises himself as a Brittany peasant and becomes the chief of a guerilla (the Chouans). He orders the death of women or any man who failed his duty. His nephew Gauvain is the most humane of the three. He spares the life of his enemies several times. Cimourdain can be compared with Lantenac in his blind obedience to the Revolution precepts. Nevertheless, all three will have to modify their point of views later. Lantenac will show humanity when saving the lives of three innocent children, he had himself kidnapped. Gauvain will want to save his uncle and Cimourdain is face with an ever bigger dilemna. Can he send to the guillotine Gauvain whom he considers like a son? The result is a tremendous 2h45 picture with some wonderful Brittany landscapes, but also quite a bit of painted backdrops. Pathé is quite notorious for these compared with Gaumont who always used three-dimensional sets. However, the three lead actors give tremendous performances. Considering that the film contains only one close-up (the final shot), they managed to express their ideals, frustrations and emotions remarkably without any windmill acting. Paul Capellani, Albert's brother, is a moving Gauvain, looking very dashing on his horse. Henry Krauss, who worked in many Capellani pictures, is also a great Cimourdain. It has to be noted that the scene with the three gods (Marat, Danton and Robespierre) was used later again by Gance in Napoléon. Overall a tremendous picture on a par with Germinal.

ImageImage
Le Chevalier de Maison-Rouge (The Knight of Maison-Rouge, 1914) Albert Capellani with Paul Escoffier, Marie-Louise Deval, Henri Rollan and Georges Dorival

We are again during the French Revolution shortly before the execution of Marie-Antoinette in 1793. But this Dumas novel is mostly a story of plots, intrigues and love mixed with historical events. The Knight of Maison-Rouge is trying to organise the escape of the Queen. In diguise, he becomes an employee of his brother-in-law, Dixmer. His sister Geneviève, Dixmer's wife, is obviously asked to participate. Sometimes, she is told to do it. She meets a young French officier, Maurice Lindey who saves her and she falls in love with him. As the plot unfolds, their lives will be put at risk. Again, there is some use of painted brackdrops mixed with some superb real locations (like this back alley above). Overall, we are in the world of the serial with many twists and turns. The plotters are virtually uncovered when a jailer finds the message for the Queen inside a carnation. But, stupidly, he lets it escape through the window. The relief is short lived as the Queen's dog makes the jailers discover the entrance to the tunnel. Again, the acting is of very high quality. Unlike the novel which ended tragically (nearly all Dumas' novels end tragically), we have a happy end which looks plausible. The print is a recent restoration and looks extremely good. A really entertaining film.
Rita Hayworth

Re: Albert Capellani Silents

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Ann Harding,

I was in Paris back in 1994 and I see these some of his silents that you are talking about here. The problem is that I walked in a theater and can't remember the name of it (but, they made his movies to have English subtitles) and unfortunately I did not write it down in case someday I want to return to Paris to watch more movies there ... but its related to the one of the silents that you referring to. The Execution of Marie Antoinette and all. I was very impressed by this his silents and its does tells the story very wonderfully and made it very easy for you to follow along.

He does a great job putting it all together and I for one, admired his work. Thanks for telling us about the box set ... I will be searching the internet to acquire a copy of his works. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

P.S. I spent two weeks in Paris that year.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Christine, it's very exciting news. Those screen captures look lovely. Thank heavens for Pathe.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Kingme, you probably went to the Pathé retrospective in 1994 in Centre Pompidou. But, I doubt you saw Le Chevalier de Maison-Rouge as it's a very recent restoration. The film had no title cards and they were put back only in 2010. Albert Capellani is a very impressive director. I am watching again Germinal (1913) right now. It's a masterpiece. Among the best 1913 pictures I have ever seen with L'enfant de Paris (1913, Léonce Perret) and Ingeborg Holm (1913, Victor Sjöström). :)
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Ann,

I checked my travel diary back in 1994. I should had done this first. I saw these three movies ...

1918 - House of Mirth
1919 - Red Lantern
1921 - The Wild Goose

About the Pathé retrospective in 1994 in Centre Pompidou - I was in Paris from June 1st to June 14th 1994. I consulted my diary again ... and I have no record of it. But, I did see these three movies ... but, unfortunately I did not record the name of the theater in my diary. Maybe I have attended that retrospective ... but its doesn't ring a bell. Drats ... I wished I wrote more. You are right on all other points ... my mistake. :wink:
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

It looks as if you went to a Capellani retrospective. I don't know where it took place as I was not in Paris at the time.

Now Germinal, the best film of the lot. :D
ImageImage

Germinal (1913) Albert Capellani with Henry Krauss, Sylvie, Jean Jacquinet and Cécile Guyon

This adaptation of one of Emile Zola's most famous novels is a masterpiece. Watching it for the second time, it ranks for me among the best early features I have ever seen with L'Enfant de Paris (1913, Léonce Perret) and Ingeborg Holm (1913, Victor Sjöström). But beyond that, it's a brilliant piece of storytelling, visually and dramatically. Shot in the north of France, in a coal mining city, it recreates so vividly the world described by Zola that it almost feels like watching a newsreel.
We follow the destiny of Etienne Lantier (Henry Krauss), who having lost his job, goes to Monsou to become a miner. Once there, he meets Maheu (Mevisto) and his family. His daughter Catherine works down the mine as a hercheuse (she fills and pushes wagons of coal). Lantier falls in love with her, but she is promised to the violent Chaval (J. Jacquinet).
The film is dominated by the performances of both Sylvie (Catherine Maheu) and Henry Krauss (Etienne Lantier). Sylvie plays with all the skills of a seasoned performer. watching her, I felt like looking at a 20s actress. She moves, laughs and walks totally naturally. At that time, she was 30 and worked with the great stage (and later movie) director André Antoine. He was then famous for the quality and modernity of his actors' direction. Sylvie has a great chemistry with Henry Krauss as Lantier. They exchange smiles and glances in a very understated way which speaks volume. Each of their encounters is charged with electricity. Whether she smiles filling his glass with water - as he refused the strong alcohol drunk by the family - or when they meet by chance in the street, or down the mine, sharing her lunch. I noticed that Capellani seems to be particularly inspired by the locations and visually the film gains immensely compared with Les Misérables (1913) for example. When Lantier arrives in the mining town, the camera pans slowly revealing the coal pit and the corons (miners' terraced houses in bricks). Henry Krauss gives his Lantier all the energy and subtelty necessary. He creates a great contrast with the diminutive Sylvie. The film remains a record of the lives of miners in the XIXth century. They were proud of their work, in spite of the dangers they had to face every day. They are also exploited by a ruthless boss. Their strike will lead to violence and death. Nearly 100 years later, the film has kept its emotional power. The death of the strikers, shot by soldiers sends shivers down your spine. And Lantier's despair in front of Catherine's dead body can still bring a tear.
There is a great economy in terms of titles. Many things remain unsaid, but are told visually so clearly that we can understand immediately what's happening. During one scene at a fun fair, it's obvious that the camera is going to a real fun fair as many onlookers are looking interested at the camera (see picture above). The narrative is beautifully constructed leading to several climaxes. The opening and ending of the film makes the story come full circle. Lantier arrives in the town and at the end, he watches it in the distance as he prepares to leave it.
Just for that film, I would say that box is worth the purchase. A really great picture of the teens.
ImageImage
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for taking the time to share with us these little-known gems Christine. I had never heard of them.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

These sound absolutely amazing and the screen caps are gorgeous.

How long is Germinal? The tints are stunning.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MichiganJ wrote:These sound absolutely amazing and the screen caps are gorgeous.

Germinal is 150 minutes long ... I was doing some research on these films ... I seen three of them already ...I will let Ann Harding confirms this for me. I do not know how long the restored version is ... but the original in Internet Movie Database says it 150 minutes long.

Ann Harding please reconfirm this for me please? It will make me feel better ...
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

MichiganJ wrote:These sound absolutely amazing and the screen caps are gorgeous.
The Germinal print on the DVD is exactly 2h28min = 148 min.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I watched Germinal today, I have to concur with everything said above. The scenes at the fun fair remind me of the Mitchell and Kenyon films found in Blackburn, Lancashire in a cellar 10 years ago and subject to restoration and turned into a BBC series, a lot of the footage is at fun fairs ad parades and the crowds stare into the camera. then there are the stunning visuals of the mining village that add so much to the narrative of the film. Lantier and Catherine are beautifully acted, detail has been given to emotions and not just photographing scenarios. Don't worry if your French is abysmal like mine, I could get through the title cards by reading a quick synopsis on Germinal of wikipedia. A crisp restoration with a lovely score.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

The Cineteca di Bologna just released a new DVD with 12 silent shorts by Capellani. It's the perfect complement to the Pathé DVD boxset. The DVDs offer subs in English, French & Italian. Among those shorts there are some incredible advanced pictures for the time.

ImageImage
L'épouvante (The Terror, 1911) with Mistinguett and Emile Milo

An actress (Mistinguett) finds a thief hiding under her bed. With such a simple story, Capellani creates a beautifully engineered short with some pretty incredible camera angles for the time. As Mistinguett is lighting a cigarette in her bed, the camera tracks back revealing the thief underneath the bed. As the throws the match, she discovers with terror a hand coming from under the bed (in high-angle shot). She escapes from the room while the thief climbs on the roof. But as he grabs the gutter, he is about to fall if his victim didn't save him in time. The suspense is beautifully done and the acting top-notch. A brilliant little thriller.

Le Pain des petits oiseaux (Bread for the birds, 1911) with Stacia Napierkowska

An old man who likes to feed the birds helps a young hungry waif. She becomes a famous dancer thanks to him. The story is again very well balanced and structured. The director offers us some reverse angle shots which were pretty unusual at the time. Napierkowska was a famous dancer from the Paris Opéra-Comique at the time. I hated her overacted Esmeralda in Capellani's Notre-Dame de Paris (1911). But here, she is natural and is very convincing as the waif. The film closes with an ending showing we have gone full-circle: the waif now famous helps the old man now in need. A very nice short.

L'intrigante (The Schemer, 1911) with Catherine Fonteney

This short follows a nasty female tutor who plans to marry the father of her pupil. She does all she can to get rid of the girl while having an affair with another man. The story resolves itself beautifully as the girl cleverly captures her nasty tutor with her lover with a camera, through a peephole. Again, the film structure is extremely well done with some great reverse angles.

ImageImage
L'Homme aux gants blancs (A Pair of White Gloves, 1908) with Henri Desfontaines and Jacques Grétillat

This 17-min short was amazingly shot in 1908. It's an extremely advanced picture for the time. Just think about it, Griffith was just starting to make pictures while Capellani shows already an incredible mastery of film grammar. The film even contains a triptych when a hotel employee calls to order some gloves for a hotel guest. The central panel shows the avenue de l'Opera. I never thought this kind of technique had been used so early. The story is equally amazing in its complexity. An elegant robber steals a necklace from a lady. As he leaves, he loses a pair of white gloves he just purchased. The man is elegant and wouldn't think to going out without them. But the lost gloves are picked up by another thief who kills the same lady. The robber is accused and taken away by the police. The real murderer contemplates the scene on the pavement as the robber is driven away. The pacing and structure are top-notch. One of the most amazing pre-teen picture I have ever seen!

More soon!
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

A few more Capellani shorts.

Le Chemineau (The Vagabond, 1905)

This 5-min short is an illustration of the first chapters of Les Misérables, when Valjean, just out of jail, finds shelter in Monseigneur Myriel's house. He then steals the man's silverware. He is caught by the police, but the benign bishop tells them it was a gift. The last scene is missing for the print. Nevertheless, it's an impressive film. The first shot shows the vagabond walking directly towards the camera until his face fills the whole screen. This is a very audacious CU for 1905. A little later, the camera pans the entire surface of Myriel's house as we move from the dining-room to the bedroom. There is a real pictorial sense in the first scene showing the vagabond walking under the snow. It's no surprise Capellani went back to Victor Hugo in 1912 to make a 2h45 version of Les Misérables.

ImageImage
L'Arlésienne (1908) with Jeanne Grumbach, Jean-Marié de L'Isle and Henri Desfontaines

This adaptation of Alphonse Daudet's play is a poetic masterpiece. In 1922, André Antoine, one of Capellani's mentors, made a feature film of the same play. I think the Capellani version, though only 18 min long, is even better. The film was considered lost until it resurfaced last year at Lobster Films. Leaving behind the studios, Capellani goes to Arles to capture the spirit of the Southern region of France, so important in this love and death story. The story is simple. A young man, Frédéric, meets an Arlésienne (a girl from the city of Arles) and falls madly in love. Alas, she leaves him a gardian (herdsman). Obsessed by the girl, Frédéric commits suicide. The neat trick used by Daudet in his play was never to show the girl in question. So much so that 'l'arlésienne' has entered the common language as something often talked about, but never seen. Capellani, unlike Daudet, shows us the girl from the start. (Antoine will do the same). The cinematography uses cleverly sunlight and shade. I felt I could feel the strong wind that blows in the olive groves near Arles. Again, the camera movements amazed me. As Frédéric and the girl are walking around looking over the city, the camera pans 180°. Then, later as Frédéric's obsessions are getting worse, the girl fades in by the river. Then, she quickly fades out. These double exposures are extremely cleverly done and enhance the story immensely. The second time, he sees the girl, she takes the place of his fiancee and he runs away terrified. And finally, as he is alone in the farm barn, he sees her embracing her lover. Gone mad, he rushes towards them and crashes down as he falls from the top of the barn. I found the film poetic and beautifully executed.

La Mort du Duc d'Enghien en 1804 (The Death of the Duke d'Enghien in 1804, 1909) with Georges Grand, Germaine Dermoz and Henri Houry
This short is showing an historical event taking place place during the Napoleonic times. The Duke d'Enghien, suspected of plotting against Napoleon was arrested and later shot in Vincennes. The print from the Cinémathèque Française used in the DVD has no title cards. We are told they were unable to find any. I have the feeling they didn't look very far to find them as Richard Abel in his excellent book, The Ciné Goes to Town - French Cinema 1896-1914, mentions a NFA print with lengthy titles. Even without titles, it's fairly easy to follow the story. Capellani uses a mixture of studio sets and historical locations, avoiding a stagy feeling.