What is Your All - Time Favorite TV Series

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Sue Sue,
I remember Grindle, it repaced Car 54, Where Are You ?, a much better( funnier ) series starring Joe E. Ross and Fred Gwynne as bumbling NYC cops. The movie of the same name from a few years ago is in no way near the humor of the original :lol:
Last edited by ken123 on April 18th, 2007, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

TV

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I am afraid that I never missed Car 54, Where are You?

I can remember aggravating my folks until I got to see it.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I recently watched a couple of episodes of I Love Lucy on...I think, TVLand. Lucy's antics made me laugh several times. So, I figure...if I Love Lucy was broadcast more than fifty years ago and still makes me laugh...it has to be I Love Lucy for all time favorite show.

The one thing television does better than movies is situation comedy. Some other comedy shows that made me laugh...

Seinfeld and Mary Tyler Moore Show and all the Newhart shows and the first few years of David Letterman (particularly his morning show) and Mr. Show and Monty Python and Benny Hill (no...I'm kidding).

A few non-comedic television shows I enjoyed. Star Trek and second Star Trek and The Prisoner and The Avengers and The Saint.

Rusty
sugarpuss

Post by sugarpuss »

Rusty, you're a Mr. Show fan? That's awesome. I can't believe I forgot to add that to my list, because that's always been a favorite of mine.

Did you ever see the episode with the F.F. Woodycooks "Crime Stick" sketch? Everytime I watch a gangster movie, I wind up yelling, "Shake the crime stick!" or "Crime!" at the tv screen. I just can't help myself.
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

sugarpuss,

I don't remember the "Crime Stick" sketch, but I'm picturing how Bob and David would do it and I am laughing.

I purchased one of the Mr. Show seasons on dvd...I wanted to watch the "Hail Satan Network" parody of evangelical television show. As a bonus, I got to watch "The Altered State of Druggachusetts"...the parody of those Sid and Marty Krofft shows. Funny stuff.

Rusty
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

John:

Did you see where BBC America will no longer show Benny Hill as they say it no longer reflects current English society (or something like that.) Next thing they won't be showing "As Time Goes By" because Geoffrey Palmer is too laid back.
Last edited by movieman1957 on April 19th, 2007, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

JohnM,

Hmm...well, maybe I only watched the unfunny parts of Benny Hill.

Rusty
ken123

Post by ken123 »

In some bits Benny Hill was very funny, at other times very boring. I haven't seen any of his old shows in years. Channel 32, year ago used to fun them at 10:30 PM Monday thru Friday. :lol:
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

SHolmes, what a lovely memory of you and your daughter.

I'm glad to read that some others here also appreciated the Andy Richter sitcom. I guess it just never found a big audience.

My favorite tv shows as a kid and teen:
Happy Days
Laverne and Shirley (those gals were great at slapstick comedy)
The Gong Show
Donny and Marie (I swear I am not DOSFAN!) :lol:
Solid Gold (remember the Solid Gold dancers?)
Eight Is Enough
The Love Boat
Fantasy Island
Barney Miller
Family Ties (Michael J. Fox! so funny)
Night Court
The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson (when I was lucky enough to be allowed to stay up and watch it)

Favorites as an adult
Murphy Brown
Newhart (Vermont Inn)
Northern Exposure
News Radio
Cheers
Saturday Night Live
Seinfeld
The Simpsons
My Name is Earl
Scrubs
Sex and the City
Project Runway
America's Next Top Model
Great Hotels (Travel Channel)

Sandy K
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

The "scroll down" feature is new to me, as you can tell my lateness on some of these threads!

If I had to pick just one it would be The Dick Van Dyke Show. I love it so much and have the first three seasons (so far) on dvd, which I re-watch constantly. "Laura" is my housewife role-model---I hope when I marry I can stay that slim and elegant! :wink:

If I can include "runners up" my next favorite is "Alfred Hitchcock Presents." I think it's one of the most cleverly realized series of all time and I have actually learned a lot from watching them as a writer. I look forward to seeing the future years come to dvd.

I also love "That Girl," "Family Affair," "The Rifleman", "Gunsmoke", "Bonanza", "The Virginian" and "I Love Lucy", of course.*

*Edited to include some of my favorite western shows. :)
Last edited by MissGoddess on May 18th, 2007, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

A new "old" show I've come to really enjoy is the British spy series Danger Man (aka "Secret Agent"). I think I actually like it better than The Avengers because the writing, editing and production values seem much higher---and particularly the locations which are really exciting.

I have also lately discovered I Spy and enjoy it for the locations mainly. I like Bill Cosby but am not a Robert Culp fan.

Oh, and I also never liked or understood "Friends" or "Seinfeld". :wink:
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Favorite show of the "modern" era:
TWIN PEAKS - David Lynch's hyper-surreal maxi-mini series continues to haunt my dreams.
Followed by:
THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW (Garry Shandling's HBO comedy series)
THE SIMPSONS (excluding the past couple of seasons)
SEINFELD

Favorite from the so-called "Golden Age" is (still) the aforementioned private eye drama JOHNNY STACCATO starring John Cassavetes.
Followed by:
TWILIGHT ZONE
SGT. BILKO
ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS

My new absolute favorite CURRENT program is:
THE SARAH SILVERMAN PROGRAM (Comedy Network)