Summer Under the Stars and Ben M

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Summer Under the Stars and Ben M

Post by Lzcutter »

TCM announced earlier today that Ben M will be hosting this year's Summer Under the Stars in the wake of Robert O's hiatus:

Ben Mankiewicz will serve as guest host for TCM's Summer Under the Stars festival in August. Ben will introduce the 9th installment of the festival while Robert Osborne is taking a break.

This year's Summer Under the Stars features several people for the first time, including day-long schedules with Orson Welles, Joanne Woodward and Peter Lawford.

Summer Under the Stars will also highlight Marlon Brando, Bette Davis, Jimmy Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Joan Crawford and, on what would have been her 100th birthday, Lucille Ball.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

JackFavell

Re: Summer Under the Stars and Ben M

Post by JackFavell »

And Ben Johnson!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

JackFavell wrote:And Ben Johnson!
yaaaaay!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Odd...I didn't notice any of his films showing on August 8.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Could it be because Orson didn't make any westerns????? I'm sure he would have used Our Ben to the fullest extent if he had. :lol:
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

He made Westerns: THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI and TOUCH OF EVIL. :P And, of course, CITIZEN KANE, which is everything.

He appeared in MAN IN THE SHADOW and did provide narration for DUEL IN THE SUN.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I really like Boy on a Dolphin, it's a much better movie than the title or the description would seem to indicate.

I am excited to finally see the Herb Jeffries movies on Friday night! Jeffries was a jazz musician, who sang with Duke Ellington and knew jazz greats like Count Basie and Louis Armstrong. He started out as a tenor, but lowered his range on advice from Billy Strayhorn. He was known as the Bronze Buckaroo or the Sepia Singing Cowboy. He was proud to be African American, and never appeared in subservient roles. During his career making films with positive black images, he continued his successful musical career as well, singing a number of hits. The film Two Gun Man from Harlem is not a western, it's in the crime genre. Harlem on the Range has Jeffries singing songs he wrote himself.

I wished I'd taped An Ideal Husband when it was last on, I really enjoyed it.

As for the rest of the Paulette features, I have only seen Pot O' Gold and Second Chorus, but too many years ago to be able to judge whether they are worth keeping. I'll be watching too, kingrat!
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Herb Jeffries was at the TCM festival last April -- he was at two of the three Roy Rogers movies I attended. He's in a wheel chair now but otherwise looks great, still wearing his colorful western gear with fringed jacket, big hat and bo.os ;) I did see him rolling down the red carpet at one point. A young theater employee watched him come by before one screening and I asked the young man if he knew who that was. He didn't have a clue, so I told him about Herb Jeffries and he seemed really interested and said he'd look him up on the web. I hope he did!

Roy's daughter Cheryl Rogers Barnett introduced him at each screening... he's the last of the singing cowboys. I didn't talk to him but it was an honor just being in his presence.

Herb Jeffries at the 2011 TCM festival
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks or that picture, P! He was looking dapper as ever!
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Wendy & Kingrat,

I'll be front and center all day Tuesday for Paulette.

I've only seen "Vice Squad" and "Paris Model" once before and they are not so good really. But, I'll watch them again.....
"Charge of the Lancers" is about the Crimean War and kind of silly with Paulette as a gypsy, who has a good time playing with Jean Pierre Aumont (both on & off screen!!)....

If you watch "An Ideal Husband" be sure and spot that enormous ermine coat at the beginning. She wore that to the premier and I've been inside it, snuggled up to her!!! Fell in love instantly and at 6 years old too!!!

Enjoy Tuesday and have a glass of bubbly & some chocolates. Better yet, enjoy a banana split with Paulette and me!!

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think I'll put on all my good jewelry, drink the bubbly, and skip the chocolates.... I'll be thinking of you, lucky Larry, watching that ermine coat, wishing I had one myself. :D