Pernell Roberts and Ian Hendry a comparison

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Pernell Roberts and Ian Hendry a comparison

Post by stuart.uk »

I was just thinking about American actor Parnell Roberts and UK actor Ian Hendry. Both enjoyed great tv success, but seemed unable to convert it into movies.

Pernell Roberts had already appeared in Western movies Ride Lonesome and The Sheepman, before he landed the role of Adam Cartwright in the iconic Bonanza, He played Adam a number of yrs before giving it up. As well as attempting to break into movies, he seemed to feel to role of Adam was demeaning. He was pretty good as a guest star in The Big Valley, The Virginian; Men From Shiloh and The Quest. He was also good in the star studded western Centenial. Robert's was however, successful in M.A.S.H sequel, in the main role, Trapper John, which aired in the UK during the afternoon

Ian Hendry after playing a Doctor in Police Surgeon played Dr. David Keel in the first series of The Avengers. It was the starring role with Keel in episode 1 out to get the gang, who killed his girlfriend and secretary in a drug raid. It was then he met the cynical secret agent John Steed as played by Patrick MacNee (Steed softened over the yrs). The show was a big success and after series 1 Hendry left in an attempt to become a movie star, while Honor Blackman came in and took the show up to another level.

Hendry did make the Hill with Sean Connery and Get Carter with Michael Caine, but spent a lot of his time making great guest appearences in The Persauders, Dangerman (Secret Agent)The Sweeney, The New Avengers and most noteably as a Mafia Don in the feature length Vendetta For The Saint with Roger Moore. Hendry did star in another series in the 70s The Lotust Eaters with Wanda Ventham.
Last edited by stuart.uk on August 12th, 2011, 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rita Hayworth

Re: Pernell Roberts and Ian Hendry a comparison

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Stuart,

You are absolutely right! I'm very familiar of both Roberts and Hendry careers and I grew fond of them. It's really sad to see that none of these men ever had any success in on the big screen. They are both distinguished actors and have relativity good success in television. Hendry had more problems than Roberts and I wish they had big screen success like the other leading men in 50's to the 70's. Hendry could had perfect secondary actor in 007 series ... he could had been a Felix Leiter's type character (if the Bond franchise had developed a new character in the James Bond film series) ... or something like that.

Roberts had great television career and I would love to see him on the big screen ... I just can't put a finger on it ... but he is quite rugged and has great looks to become a leading man like Glenn Ford, Henry Fonda, John Wayne, and others. It's a shame ...

Pernell Roberts

Patrick Macnee and Ian Hendry - In the Avengers

Its Hendry ... not Henry - Stuart! Just to let you know ...
stuart.uk

Re: Pernell Roberts and Ian Henry a comparison

Post by stuart.uk »

Thanks I''ll sort it out.