Can Fox's rival Redgrave dynasty

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Can Fox's rival Redgrave dynasty

Post by stuart.uk »

I like many regard the Redgrave's as the UKs, if not the worlds greatest all time acting dynasty, but was wondering if the Fox's might in time be as big. One like is the lesser known brother of Edward and James, Robert was married to the late Natasha Richardson, Venessa Redgrave's daughter.

However, I was watching the UK version of Who Do You Think You Are, where a celebrity retraces their roots. The subject was Emila Fox, the daughter of Edward. The Reddgrave's can be traced back to silent movie star Roy Redgrave, whose son Michael was married to Rachel Kempson. Their children were Venessa, Lynn and Corin, then VRs off-spring Joely and Natasha Richarson and CRs Gemma Redrave. You could also mentioned married partners like Liam Nelison.

I found out that when Emila interviewed her dad Edward that his father Robin was a top theatrical agent, with Robert Morely one of his clients, and that her great grandmother, not a great actress was on the stage in 1890s Victoria England. There was also a great grandaunt was also on the stage at the same time and was talented and famous. I'm sorry I can't remember her names. Tragically after the great grand aunt retired, she died not long after her child died at birth. The great grandmother retired and married into the millionaire Fox family and had 3 kids, but the husband ran of to America with another woman and blew his own dad's self made fortune. The great grandmother served in the land army during WW2, her son Robin died young, but her 2 daughter's are still alive, one over 100 and the other in her 90s. Emila also interviewed those 2 elderly ladies.

I was wondering with the current young generation of Fox's being younger than the Redgrave's might be able to rival them in the future. Emila's cousin Laurence Fox is currently Hathaway in Lewis, the Morse sequel. Emila is a great actress, who played the young Queen Elizabeth 2nd in a great drama documentary The Queen, she replaced Amanda Burton in Quincy like drama serial Silent Witness. However, I loved her in Catherine Cookson adapted tv movie The Round Tower, which for the writer was unusually set in the 1950s and 60s, instead of the late 19th or early 20th Century.

Like the Redgrave's the Fox's have married well known performers like Doctor Who star Billie Piper, who's married to Laurence
charliechaplinfan

Re: Can Fox's rival Redgrave dynasty

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It was a fascinating episode Stuart, I find the series a bit hit and miss but this episode was definetly a hit.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I was so taken aback when watching the first moments of Inspector Lewis last Sunday when I spied a young man who looked so like a young Edward and James Fox, I was not surprised at all when I saw Laurence's name in the credits! Then I realized I'd seen him before in Gosford Park and Elizabeth: The Golden Age.

Do you think that Britain has a tradition of fostering theatrical families? Have any of Laurence Olivier's children pursued acting? I know that his eldest son, Tarquin (his mother was the actress Jill Esmond), was not an actor, but haven't read much about his children with Joan Plowright.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Not that I know of, I think his son is a producer but I know nothing of the girls. Having said that I don't watch a great deal of TV, Stuart migt know better than me.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Jordon born Nadim Sawalha, from The Wind And The Lion, has 2 Brit acting daughter's Julia and Nadia

The Mills family

Charlie Chaplin, his parents, brothers, at least 2 children and 1 grandchildren.

Emma Thompson's mother is respected actress Phyllida Law

Soap star William Roache, who has played Ken Barlow for the last 51-yrs in Coronation Street, has 2 acting sons, one a lot older than the other Linus and James. Linus and James played Ken's son and evil grandson in recent episodes

Diana Rigg and daughter Rachel Sterling
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

As a red-blooded, card-carrying, movie-loving, Baby-Booming, American woman, I shall tout my own country's greatest acting dynasty: B A R R Y M O R E.

Every one listed below was or is in the acting profession. (My apologies for the inconsistency in photo sizes). :oops:

Image Image
JOHN DREW Sr. (1827 - 1862) married LOUISA LANE (DREW) (1820 - 1897)

Among their children...two of them were actors:

Image Image
JOHN DREW Jr. (1853 - 1927) and his sister Georgiana Emma Drew

Here is a picture of Georgiana (later known as "Georgie") standing behind her mother, Louisa Lane Drew:

When Georgiana (known as Georgie) grew up...as young girls do they meet a nice young man and hope to marry. She married an actor named Herbert Blythe...who changed his name to Maurice. Maurice Barrymore.

Image Image

Georgiana Drew (1854 - 1893 ) marries Maurice Barrymore ( 1846 - 1905 ).

Young Maurice and Georgiana Barrymore had three children. Here is Georgie with her little brood:

Aren't these some cute kids?

Maurice and Georgie's three kids went into acting. The oldest child:

Image Image
LIONEL BARRYMORE ( 1878 - 1954 )

Image Image
The only girl IS...ETHEL BARRYMORE ( 1879 - 1959 )

...and the baby of the family:

Image Image Image
JOHN BARRYMORE

Good-looking fella, don'cha think? He married a number of times I'm afraid. One of his wives was an actress and a poet. Her real name was Blanche Oelrichs (rich girl). She changed her name:

Image Image
MICHAEL STRANGE ( 1890 - 1950 ) marries Baby Barrymore.

Michael (nee Blanche) had a daughter with the Great Profeel. She's quite attractive. Here she is in glamorous times...

DIANA BARRYMORE

Barrymore's marriage to Michael Strange didn't last. But the game is not over. And that's where this man comes:

MAURICE COSTELLO ( 1877 - 1950 )

Maurice is a famed actor...and has two talented daughters, Helene and Dolores, who are child actors. Here is Dolores as a grown woman and Actress.

DOLORES COSTELLO

Dolores (who appears in "THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS") meets JOHN BARRYMORE.

Image Image
DOLORES COSTELLO ( 1903 - 1979 ) marries JOHN BARRYMORE and have a child:

Image Image
JOHN DREW BARRYMORE ( 1932 - 2004 ) the younger brother of DIANA BARRYMORE (1921 - 1960 )

Sadly, the ending was none to pretty for this crop of acting Barrymores:[/b]

Image Image Image
JOHN BARRYMORE ( 1882 - 1942 ) - DIANA BARRYMORE ( 1921 - 1960 ) - JOHN DREW BARRYMORE ( 1932 - 2004 )

John Drew Barrymore had four wives and one child with each wife. One of his children is an Actor and Producer. Sort of looks like her Aunt Diana a bit:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

It's even more complicated than that!

Blanche Oelrichs (a.k.a. Michael Strange), John Barrymore's first wife, was the great-aunt of Marjorie Oelrichs, who married famed society pianist Eddy Duchin. Marjorie sadly died of complications from childbirth. The child was son Peter, who also grew up to be a famous pianist and entertainer. Peter married Brooke Hayward, daughter of actress Margaret Sullavan and agent-producer Leland Hayward. The connections with various famous and distinguished step-parents, step- and half-siblings and various former spouses would take up quite a few more paragraphs.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Image Image

Hi there...I didn't know the Duchin connections. I see this can go on and on and on. That is what Family is all about. Thanx for that information. It was kind of fun me doing the research. Drew Barrymore appeared at TCM's recent film festival when her grandfather's film "NIGHT FLIGHT" was introduced. I thought she was a down-to-earth, beautiful girl.

I don't know about the Redgraves, but the Barrymores...now that's a dynasty!!

(I once did some research on Secretariat's line. He goes all the way back to the great Man O' War! Something fun to do on a dreary Sunday afternoon).

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

CineMaven wrote: I don't know about the Redgraves, but the Barrymores...now that's a dynasty!!
I'm very, very impressed by your efforts in creating the Barrymores acting line from generations to generations. I truly enjoyed reading what you've written and combined that with fantastic photographs was a treat for all of us here. I didn't know that it was that extensive. This took me by surprise. But, anyway thank you very much in putting this altogether for us to enjoy and believe me you've put a lot of effort into this and I enjoyed reading it.
charliechaplinfan

Same here, I read a book on John Barrymore but it wasn't high on photographs so it's great to see these listed here. Thank you for taking the time.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thank you Kingme...Charlie. Glad you enjoyed it. I, myself, learned much along the way.

sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Cinemaven, I loved looking at the Barrymore family tree post! The photo of the young Ethel Barrymore is so fresh and lovely, I got tears in my eyes, isn't that silly?

Acting family dynasties make a lot of sense to me--it's like any other family business. You are raised with it, around it, and in it. It's what you know, so it makes sense to go into it oneself as a career.

Sandy K
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#0000BF]sandykaypax[/color][/u] wrote:Cinemaven, I loved looking at the Barrymore family tree post! The photo of the young Ethel Barrymore is so fresh and lovely, I got tears in my eyes, isn't that silly? Sandy K
Silly? Not at all Sandy. By the time we see Ethel Barrymore in the movies...she's a wizened old lady. To see her so young, so pretty makes me wistful as well; she started off young and fresh...hoping to succeed in love and in a career in "the family business." I totally understand. You know, I now think of her (in my favorite role of hers) in "THE PORTRAIT OF JENNIE" wanting to help out a struggling young artist (Cotten)...and probably being in love with him knowing he would never see her that way.

charliechaplinfan

She has the most beautiful eyes, even as an older lady her eyes carried a distinct beauty.