A Face In The Crowd

JackFavell

Re: A Face In The Crowd

Post by JackFavell »

I miss Johnny. Always a good show, no matter what. A very comforting presence.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

You said it! He might have retired earlier. Much earlier. The show did get kind of lacklustre. But throughout the 1960s and 70s...Wow! You never knew what would happen. I talk to young people who watch Conan, Jimmy and the Scottish man. If they only knew...
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

There is a reason why there is a chair (next to the host) and a couch, next to the chair. B'cuz Johnny and Jack and Merv and Mike and Steve used to host "TALK" shows. Several guests would be on chatting with the host. < (Sigh!)> A long gone tradition. My favorite was watching: Steve and Edie, Suzanne Pleshette, and Phyllis Newman. I felt grown up if I understood what they were talking about. (And not being caught staying up past my 11:00pm bedtime curfew, cruelly imposed by my parents). "School?! I did my homework, what MORE do they want?!! School...schmool, I want to hear Phyllis Newman!!!"

< ( Sigh!)> Who'll cut off their Schlausen now for us?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh, you are right! There was an art to being the host, and an art to being a good guest. Phyllis Newman.... holy cow! I haven't thought of her in years. She was so smart.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Classic spontaneous entertainment. You never knew when Jerry Lewis would simply wander onstage and join them.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Classic spontaneous entertainment.
Classic spontaneous entertainment? This is classic Talk Show entertainment.

[youtube][/youtube]
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I remember she had a sexy throaty laugh. She was very quick witted. Funny the things one remembers...

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wow, my husband will be amazed to see this clip, he's a big Zappa fan. Of course, he may not recognize him.....
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

Thanks for the clip ChiO. Steve Allen is so gracious. Letterman channels him to a certain extent, but he can't conceal his essential mean streak. Allen's disposition is genuinely sweet.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Good observation, Nitrate. An actor can abandon his own disposition. A TV personality? Not so much. Meanness and egocentricity are not charming traits. I see this on cable news channels as well. Is this about the story? Or about YOU?

When Steve Allen died, the obits credited him with virtually creating the talk show format. I'd love to see some decent video of that. It's not often I get to say I'm too young, but two year-olds don't watch late night TV!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"...Two year olds don't watch late night tv!"??? :shock: What kind of movie buff ARE you?

P.S. Letterman is too snarky for me.