Fred Astaire actor

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Fred Astaire actor

Post by stuart.uk »

While I accept Gene Kelly was a better actor than Fred Astaire, I still rate the star of Top Hat and other great musicals one of the great all round entertainers.

Though the film was a flop, I thought both Fred and partner Ginger Rogers both gave great dramatic performances in their only drama/musical The Story Of Vernon And Irene Castle. Not long after Fred made Silk Stockings he more than held his own with Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner in the end of the world movie On The Beach.

It's rather a shame Fred didn't make more appearences as Robert Wagner's aging but still athletic jewel theif father in the long running tv series It Takes A Thief.

I thought Fred was brilliant as the love interest for Jennifer Jones in The Towering Inferno
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Fred Astaire actor

Post by moira finnie »

I think Fred was excellent in On the Beach too, especially when his scientific character explains the process of the atmosphere's poisoning in such clear-cut terms, only to express his inner despair so recklessly on the racing tarmac behind the wheel. Too bad he didn't have a chance to do more straight roles, but the demands of a dancing career probably made that highly unlikely--I doubt if he could ever match his musicals anyway, since Astaire was less likely to have had as much control over the content in dramas or comedies.

One non-musical part that he completely aced was in the rarely seen comedy, The Pleasure of His Company (1961-George Seaton), which has not--as far as I know--been released on video or DVD. Concerning a long-absent father's return just in time to disrupt his daughter's wedding, Fred is irresistible as "Pogo" Poole, globe-trotting playboy, whose joie de vivre overwhelms his ex-wife (Lili Palmer, who's delicious) and his adult daughter, Debbie Reynolds (who's less strident than usual). In the U.S. this film is available streaming online at Netflix. I hope this means the release of the film on DVD is imminent.
Fred Astaire as Pogo Poole.

Of course, there is also Ghost Story (1981), the last film of several individual talents, all of whom I feel deserved a jauntier send-off than this occasionally interesting movie with flashes of style, even though it was ultimately a crudely made movie with a big icky factor. It hurt to see Fred so frail in this one, alongside Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Melvyn Douglas, and John Houseman--despite the limitations of the movie, their presence together on screen was remarkable.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I hope no one minds me hyjacking my own thread, but I was interested to read Miora talk about Fred's frailty in Ghost Story. The reason is because I marvel at Sir Bruce Forsyth's all round capablities at 83. For those who don't know of Bruce, he was Julie Andrew's dad in Star and Sam Jaff's side-kick in Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Heres Bruce in what I think was a blistering routine with Britain's Got Talent Presenters Ant And Dec

GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
sagebrush

Post by sagebrush »

Nice photo, GaryCooper! :)
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

^^

Fred Astair with his daughter 1961 at an iconic setting. Couldn't pass it up.

GC
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Pinned Tweet
D. W. Griffith