This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Dargo

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: March 1st, 2023, 11:59 pm I think I prefer Rob and the Brazilian sailors.

This of course being a sort of reprise and a send-up of a scene in the 1942 comedy My Sister Eileen in which she starred.

(...just watched it all the way through for the first time a few weeks ago on TCM...entertaining little movie)
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smilie_happy_thumbup:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Island of Lost Souls is one of those horror films that is too good to be shown -- and ruined -- on Svengoolie.

IMO, it is the best version of all of the adaptations of H.G. Wells' novel The Island of Dr. Moreau.

Bela Lugosi, financially strapped and in dire need of work, was cast in the minor, undistinguished role of The Sayer of the Law ("What is the law? . . . Are we not men?"). Unrecognizable beneath a faceful of fur, Lugosi nonetheless was able to overcome the role's limitations by investing his "manimal" with a (literally) tortured humanity during his Big Dramatic Moment when The Sayer rebelliously challenges his "creator":

"YOU! . . . You made us in the House of Pain! You made us . . . THINGS! Not men! . . . Not beasts! . . . Part man! . . . Part beast! . . .THINGS!"

. . . whereupon The Sayer's fellow things -- roused and emboldened by Its speech -- set upon the actually bestial Dr. Moreau
(a Mephistophelian Charles Laughton) and savagely, horribly, and vivisectionally repay him in kind for the cruelty and suffering he inflicted on them.

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

jameselliot

Post by jameselliot »

Konga with the man you love to see rage, Michael Gough, is on Sven March 17. This movie is a good fit for his show.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

I remember a thread like this from back on the TCM boards. I believe it was started and steadily kept up by Nipkowdisc.

Does anyone know if Nip made it to here after TCM message boards shut down?
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Intrepid37 wrote: March 17th, 2023, 12:00 am I remember a thread like this from back on the TCM boards. I believe it was started and steadily kept up by Nipkowdisc.

As I recall NipkowDisc hated Svengoolie, and no, NipkowDisc did not join the SSO. He's on another forum that was created by the god formerly known as TopBilled.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

EP Millstone wrote: March 17th, 2023, 9:33 am As I recall NipkowDisc hated Svengoolie, and no, NipkowDisc did not join the SSO. He's on another forum
Glad you know he's still with us...I thought we lost him to covid.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Watching until the end.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

EP Millstone wrote: March 17th, 2023, 9:33 am
Intrepid37 wrote: March 17th, 2023, 12:00 am I remember a thread like this from back on the TCM boards. I believe it was started and steadily kept up by Nipkowdisc.

As I recall NipkowDisc hated Svengoolie, and no, NipkowDisc did not join the SSO. He's on another forum that was created by the god formerly known as TopBilled.
More accurately he enjoyed the crappy 40d B movies he played but hated the character/ on screen persona that’s about twenty minutes of the actual program out of two and a half hours.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

jameselliot wrote: March 16th, 2023, 11:40 pm Konga with the man you love to see rage, Michael Gough . . .
The last time that I watched Konga, more than 20 years ago, it was with a gal with whom I was romantically involved. When Michael Gough (as Dr. Charles Decker) is grabbed and held in Konga's gigantic paw and begins screaming "HELP! HELLLLP!" my inamorata wryly commented, "His dialogue is going to be really simple from now on."

Michael Gough was producer Herman Cohen's "Vincent Price," enhancing Cohen's Horrors of the Black Museum, Black Zoo, Berserk, and Trog. Gough excelled at portraying supercilious, astringent villains, snarling snide insults and stinging threats with a distinctive lip-curling nastiness.

While I was in college, a teacher showed the Omnibus TV episode "Vincent the Dutchman" in which Gough portrayed Vincent Van Gogh. I was pleasantly surprised to see Gough triumph in a serious role. After he died, he was primarily and lazily memorialized in obituaries for being "Alfred the Butler" in Batman movies.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I was excited to see a movie I've never seen before (KONGA) Sadly, I still haven't seen it, what a snoozer.

I did notice, both last week & this week, the movies do not start with the Universal logo, but the MGM lion logo and then American International Pictures logo. Wonder what's up, no more Universal stock contract?
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Again, another AIP this week. BLOOD OF DRACULA 1957. It was pretty cool and atmospheric at times, petty cool crazy teeth on the school girl. It was an interesting take on teen vampires.

But what was REALLY great was the Three Stooges short at 6pm- a very young Lucille Ball as a blonde playing a gangster's moll. And after listening to TCMs podcast, apparently art imitates life as Lucy was dating a gangster at the time!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

TikiSoo wrote: March 29th, 2023, 1:41 pm
But what was REALLY great was the Three Stooges short at 6pm- a very young Lucille Ball as a blonde playing a gangster's moll. And after listening to TCMs podcast, apparently art imitates life as Lucy was dating a gangster at the time!
Well, then it sure is a good thing that that relationship would come to an end and that she'd later end up marrying a Cuban band leader, isn't it.

(...I mean and don't know about you, but the idea that a sitcom about a frustrated housewife wanting to break into THAT business sure doesn't sound nearly as funny as one about her wanting to break into show business, now does it) ;)
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

TikiSoo wrote: March 19th, 2023, 7:00 amKONGA ... what a snoozer.
Is it ever.

Even as a kid, it put me to sleep.