This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Detective Jim McLeod

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

I saw Blacula last night, still a good one. William Marshall is excellent in the lead, he takes the role seriously and his great voice and commanding presence really uplifts the whole film. He is scary in the attack scenes and sympathetic in the other scenes. Thalmus Rasulala is also good as the doctor who serves as the Van Helsing type, he was in many TV shows around this time, a notable one not mentioned by Sven was his guest shot on All In The Family, same year this movie was released. He played a "blockbuster" real estate agent who tries to get Archie to sell his home. Denise Nicholas was still appearing on Room 222 around this time, one of my favorite TV shows. Lonetta McGee would later appear opposite Clint Eastwood in The Eiger Sanction, also not mentioned by Sven. He also doesn't say anything about Elisha Cook, who has a cameo as a hook handed morgue attendant, maybe he spoke about him many times before. Emily Yancy is the sexy photographer/victim in this, she was in the Otto Preminger cult film Tell Me That You Love Me Junie Moon (1970). Gordon Pinsent, the police lieutenant, later got some of his best reviews when he played Julie Christie's husband in Away From Her (2007) , a touching drama about Alzheimer's, Christie got an Oscar nomination for this.

As expected, some of the language was cut. One of the funniest lines was when after Rasulala scolds a black undertaker, after he leaves, the undertaker says "That is the rudest n!gg@ I have ever seen!" but the entire line is totally cut. The slur was also used by Denise Nicholas in a later scene and seems to have been bleeped, but she says it so fast it is hard to tell. Several uses of "f@gg0t" is also cut, though surprisingly "a s s" is also bleeped. There didn't appear to be any cuts in the violence.

Sven does a very funny song parody about Blacula, sung to the tune of "Baby Face", though it was a clip of an older show.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Nice write up, Detective. I love Blackula-half because it's a vampire story, half because of the groovy black/African vibe. Those giant hooptie earrings are nothing new, are they?

I too was surprised Sven ignored Elisha Cook. I don't think I had ever seen him this old, yet he still had his baby face. I didn't notice the hook/hand until the last scene he was in! That was kind of a dumb costuming choice.

Heh, I too was a Room 222 & All In The Family fan. Have sitcoms gotten worse or am I just too old to care for anything contemporary? I think the last sitcom I watched was CYBILL and even that was re-runs.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Wanted to watch Blacula again, but became too involved in gardening/planting and didnt finish in time. WIsh TCM would show this w/out the cuts! Marshall is really good in this. Knowing Sven, I'm sure it'll be repeated (this wasn't the first showing)......
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LiamCasey wrote: May 1st, 2023, 10:39 am This month on Svengoolie...

5/6: Blacula (1972) w/ William Marshall, Denise Nicholas, Vonetta McGee, Gordon Pinsent and Thalmus Rasulala. Plus Ketty Lester, Elisha Cook, Jr., and The Hues Corporation.

5/13: The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966) w/ Don Knotts, Joan Staley, Liam Redmond and Dick Sargent.

5/20: The Thing with Two Heads (1972) w/ Ray Milland, Rosey Grier, Don Marshall, Roger Perry, Kathy Baumann and Chelsea Brown.

5/27: The Killer Shrews (1959) w/ Ingrid Goude, James Best, Ken Curtis, Baruch Lumet and Gordon McLendon.
WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!! I just noticed The Thing With Two Heads!!!!!!! Havent seen that one in a long time. I will record it! I actually bought a cut rate CD some years ago with Heads and another AIP film on it, but it got misplaced in my last move! A SO BAD IT'S GOOD classic!!!!!!!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 10:08 am
TikiSoo wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 6:51 am

THANKS!
I'm always up for Blackula! It'll be a party night!
Pretty tired of Ghost & Mr Chicken, although loved it since childhood.
Have NOT SEEN Thing With 2 Heads since seeing it in the theater as an 11 year old! (perfect age for that sort of thing) Let's see if it still works for me.
Killer Shrews. Meh.
Blacula is a good one, though I am sure there was be some bleeps for curses and slurs as well as a few cuts in violent scenes. Same thing for Thing With Two Heads which is one of the most hilariously bad movies ever.

CONCUR!!!! One of the most hilarious bad movies ever!!!

A good thing about Svengoolie being on for 21/2 hours now is that he will (I would hope) be able to show the entire movie of Ghost And Mr. Chicken since before it had to be cut for time constraints.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

How did they bring Blacula back for the sequel? (Since he evaporated in the original)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I’ve never watched Svengoolie. I do enjoy MeTV.
Guess I’m spoiled. Can’t imagine watching a movie with commercials.
The promos make Svengoolie look a little goofy.
I’m am fully spoiled. TCM’s fault.
Then again, I might like Ben Mankiewicz more if I could spell his name without help, black around his eyes and the rubber chicken.
Detective Jim McLeod

jimimac71 wrote: May 10th, 2023, 5:15 pm
Then again, I might like Ben Mankiewicz more if I could spell his name without help, black around his eyes and the rubber chicken.

Ben's jokes are just as lame as Sven's, Sven has better delivery however.
Detective Jim McLeod

I did not watch all of The Ghost And Mr. Chicken last night. Since Sven is now on for 2 1/2 hours I figured this would be shown uncut for once.

If anyone watched it last night and knows the movie very well, can you verify this it was shown without cuts?
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: May 14th, 2023, 7:42 am I did not watch all of The Ghost And Mr. Chicken last night. Since Sven is now on for 2 1/2 hours I figured this would be shown uncut for once.

If anyone watched it last night and knows the movie very well, can you verify this it was shown without cuts?
Well I watched but don't really know what cuts you're talking about - it would help if you had mentioned what they entailed.

Seemed to me the celebration went on a little longer after the "shakey man" speech with more townspeople interaction, but that could just be me noticing for the first time.

Looking forward to this week-THING WITH 2 HEADS! I haven't seen this since in the theater as a kid!
Detective Jim McLeod

TikiSoo wrote: May 16th, 2023, 6:19 am

Well I watched but don't really know what cuts you're talking about - it would help if you had mentioned what they entailed.

I don't know if it was cut or not, I just remember on the old Sven show (2 hours) he would say at the beginning there will be cuts for time constraints.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Can't wait for the Thing With 2 Heads! Bad Movie Nirvana!
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Hibi wrote: May 16th, 2023, 3:58 pm Can't wait for the Thing With 2 Heads! Bad Movie Nirvana!
Haha I love the perception of "classic movie fans" where people think we're a bunch of art snobs always discussing "that director/screenplay/cinematographer" ...when we're REALLY more excited about seeing the silliest, craziest monster movie!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

TikiSoo wrote: May 17th, 2023, 4:52 am
Hibi wrote: May 16th, 2023, 3:58 pm Can't wait for the Thing With 2 Heads! Bad Movie Nirvana!
Haha I love the perception of "classic movie fans" where people think we're a bunch of art snobs always discussing "that director/screenplay/cinematographer" ...when we're REALLY more excited about seeing the silliest, craziest monster movie!
LOL!!!!
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I only saw the first half! Woke up during closing credits. How was it?