This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Swithin

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by Swithin »

LiamCasey wrote: February 1st, 2024, 2:52 pm This month on Svengoolie...

2/3: Revenge of the Creature (1955) w/ John Agar, Lori Nelson, John Bromfield and Nestor Paiva. Plus Ricou Browning, Tom Hennesy and, of course, Clint Eastwood. And directed by Jack Arnold.

2/10: The Monster That Challenged the World (1957) w/ Tim Holt, Audrey Dalton and Hans Conried. And directed by Arnold Laven. Audrey Dalton! Hopefully Dargo doesn't have other plans for that evening! :-D

2/17: Bride of Frankenstein (1935) w/ Boris Karloff, Colin Clive, Valerie Hobson, Ernest Thesiger and Elsa Lanchester. Plus Una O'Connor, E.E. Clive, O.P. Heggie, Dwight Frye, Mary Gordon, Walter Brennan and John Carradine. And directed by James Whale.

2/24: How to Make a Monster (1958) w/ Robert H. Harris, Paul Brinegar, Gary Conway and Gary Clarke.
Another great 1957 monster.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

The Gill Man just wants some lovin'. I agree with Marilyn in THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH. Too bad the creature couldn't have gone out with her. But then he would have run into Joe DiMaggio.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

This month on Svengoolie...

3/2: The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944) w/ Jon Hall, Evelyn Ankers, Alan Curtis, Leon Errol, John Carradine and Gale Sondergaard. And directed by Ford Beebe.

3/9: 13 Ghosts (1960) w/ Charles Herbert, Jo Morrow, Martin Milner, Rosemary DeCamp, Donald Woods and Margaret Hamilton. And directed by William Castle.

3/16: The Comedy of Terrors (1963) w/ Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff, Joyce Jameson, Joe E. Brown, Beverly Powers and Basil Rathbone. With screenplay by Richard Matheson. And directed by Jacques Tourneur.

3/23: Dracula (1974) w/ Jack Palance, Simon Ward, Nigel Davenport, Pamela Brown, Fiona Lewis and Penelope Horner. Plus Sarah Douglas. With screenplay by Richard Matheson. And directed by Dan Curtis.

3/30: Gargoyles (1972) w/ Cornel Wilde, Jennifer Salt, Grayson Hall, Bernie Casey and Scott Glenn.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

LiamCasey wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 2:13 pm This month on Svengoolie...

3/2: The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944) w/ Jon Hall, Evelyn Ankers, Alan Curtis, Leon Errol, John Carradine and Gale Sondergaard. And directed by Ford Beebe.

3/9: 13 Ghosts (1960) w/ Charles Herbert, Jo Morrow, Martin Milner, Rosemary DeCamp, Donald Woods and Margaret Hamilton. And directed by William Castle.

3/16: The Comedy of Terrors (1963) w/ Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff, Joyce Jameson, Joe E. Brown, Beverly Powers and Basil Rathbone. With screenplay by Richard Matheson. And directed by Jacques Tourneur.

3/23: Dracula (1974) w/ Jack Palance, Simon Ward, Nigel Davenport, Pamela Brown, Fiona Lewis and Penelope Horner. Plus Sarah Douglas. With screenplay by Richard Matheson. And directed by Dan Curtis.

3/30: Gargoyles (1972) w/ Cornel Wilde, Jennifer Salt, Grayson Hall, Bernie Casey and Scott Glenn.
Between the gargoyles from the eponymous TV film and the Slezak on Land of the Lost my 6 year old brother had nightmares for weeks...
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LiamCasey wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 2:13 pm This month on Svengoolie...

I'm not sure I've seen The Invisible Man's Revenge, sounds promising, great cast. I saw 13 Ghosts as a kid, found it surprisingly boring, even in 3D. The Comedy of Terrors is fun, as I recall. Not sure I've seen that Dracula, though I do know Nigel Davenport's wife. I don't like Gargoyles, it has that cheap early '70s feel. I prefer that scariest of all the X-Files episodes: Home, to which Gargoyles bears some similarity. Though Gargoyles is not clever enough to have a limbless mother under the floorboards.
j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

Swithin wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 7:04 pm I'm not sure I've seen The Invisible Man's Revenge, sounds promising, great cast.
The cast was good, but the structure and pacing were bizarre. I like Leon Errol in two-reel comedies but here he was all out of proportion. Ankers is strangely underused, and Sondergaard simply disappears halfway through. Director Beebe is best remembered for action-adventure serials; is there a story of how he came to direct a Universal feature? Even allowing for wartime and certain A-list directors going overseas as part of Hollywood's war effort?

I might be bitter because I liked Jon Hall in Invisible Agent 2 years earlier.
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

j.lunatic wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 8:35 am
Swithin wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 7:04 pm I'm not sure I've seen The Invisible Man's Revenge, sounds promising, great cast.
The cast was good, but the structure and pacing were bizarre. I like Leon Errol in two-reel comedies but here he was all out of proportion. Ankers is strangely underused, and Sondergaard simply disappears halfway through. Director Beebe is best remembered for action-adventure serials; is there a story of how he came to direct a Universal feature? Even allowing for wartime and certain A-list directors going overseas as part of Hollywood's war effort?

I agree. I watched most of it and was surprised I hadn't seen it before. Good cast, production values, odd pacing. I was distracted for a while, and when I returned, I wondered what happened to Gale Sondergaard. I thought maybe he killed her but could find no evidence of that. Not since Minerva Urecal disappeared halfway through The Living Ghost have I been so mystified by the disappearance of a major character.

I agree about Leon Errol as well. I think my favorite Leon Errol bit is his dance with Ethel Merman in We're Not Dressing (1934). As for Jon Hall, I prefer him as Ramar of the Jungle.

Director Beebe had recently directed Night Monster, perhaps why he got this gig. Late in his career, he directed many of the Bomba movies.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Sorry I missed it. I have been working Sat/Sun until 9-10P and no longer able to watch Svengoolie's show.
13 Ghosts & Gargoyles are two of my childhood favorites, so have them on disk anyway. All I miss is hearing comments on the cast & production, although rarely revelatory.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Swithin wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 8:58 am
j.lunatic wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 8:35 am

I agree. I watched most of it and was surprised I hadn't seen it before. Good cast, production values, odd pacing. I was distracted for a while, and when I returned, I wondered what happened to Gale Sondergaard. I thought maybe he killed her but could find no evidence of that. Not since Minerva Urecal disappeared halfway through The Living Ghost have I been so mystified by the disappearance of a major character.

I agree about Leon Errol as well. I think my favorite Leon Errol bit is his dance with Ethel Merman in We're Not Dressing (1934). As for Jon Hall, I prefer him as Ramar of the Jungle.

Director Beebe had recently directed Night Monster, perhaps why he got this gig. Late in his career, he directed many of the Bomba movies.

I wondered that too. I missed maybe 10 mins in the middle of the film and wondered if she'd been killed off. She wasn't around in the final scene. I can't stand Leon Errol and his subplot was distracting to the overall film. Just weird.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smiley_worship: :smiley_clap:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smilie_happy_thumbup:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

4/6: The Time Travelers (1964) w/ Preston Foster, Philip Carey, Merry Anders, John Hoyt and Dennis Patrick. Plus Delores Wells. And directed by Ib Melchior.

4/13: Island of Terror (1966) w/ Peter Cushing, Edward Judd and Carole Gray. And directed by Terence Fisher.

4/20: The Wolf Man (1941) w/ Lon Chaney Jr., Claude Rains, Ralph Bellamy, Warren William, Patrick Knowles, Bela Lugosi, Maria Ouspenskaya and Evelyn Ankers. With screenplay by Curt Siodmak. And directed by George Waggner (or is that george waGGner?).

4/27: Trilogy of Terror (1975) w/ Karen Black. Written by Richard Matheson and William F. Nolan. And directed by Dan Curtis. Just in case you missed it last October. And last September.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

;)
was "mr6666" @ TCM
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

5/4: The Land That Time Forgot (1974) w/ Doug McClure, John McEnery and Susan Penhaligon. Screenplay by James Cawthorn and Michael Moorcock (and based upon a novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs). And directed by Kevin Connor.

5/11: House of Frankenstein (1944) w/ Boris Karloff, Lon Chaney, J. Carrol Naish, John Carradine, Anne Gwynne, Peter Coe, Lionel Atwill, George Zucco, Elena Verdugo and Sig Ruman. Plus Frank Reicher and Glenn Strange. And directed by Erle C. Kenton.

5/18: Scream Blacula Scream (1973) w/ William Marshall, Don Mitchell, Pam Grier and Michael Conrad. And directed by Bob Kelljan.

5/25: Destroy All Monsters (1969) w/ Akira Kubo, Jun Tazaki, Yukiko Kobayashi and Yoshio Tsuchiya. And, needless to say, Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, King Ghidorah and other kaiju. And directed by Ishirō Honda.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LiamCasey wrote: May 1st, 2024, 7:26 pm This month on Svengoolie...

5/4: The Land That Time Forgot (1974) w/ Doug McClure, John McEnery and Susan Penhaligon. Screenplay by James Cawthorn and Michael Moorcock (and based upon a novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs). And directed by Kevin Connor.

5/11: House of Frankenstein (1944) w/ Boris Karloff, Lon Chaney, J. Carrol Naish, John Carradine, Anne Gwynne, Peter Coe, Lionel Atwill, George Zucco, Elena Verdugo and Sig Ruman. Plus Frank Reicher and Glenn Strange. And directed by Erle C. Kenton.

5/18: Scream Blacula Scream (1973) w/ William Marshall, Don Mitchell, Pam Grier and Michael Conrad. And directed by Bob Kelljan.

5/25: Destroy All Monsters (1969) w/ Akira Kubo, Jun Tazaki, Yukiko Kobayashi and Yoshio Tsuchiya. And, needless to say, Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, King Ghidorah and other kaiju. And directed by Ishirō Honda.
I like both House of Frankenstein and House of Dracula, but I never can remember which is which. One has the hunchback nurse; the other the hunchback J. Carroll Naish. I think it's the Naish film that Sven is showing.

Destroy All Monsters has a very cute ending: the arrival of the suddenly benevolent Japanese monsters.