This week on SVENGOOLIE...

TikiSoo

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by TikiSoo »

Thanks Nanette.

Of course I watched last night, but had the sound off at times while on the phone. I missed NOTHING.
What a horrible movie, I can't believe it ever made money...and a sequel? :smiley_sick:

BUT...I was tickled when Sven told us about the long varied career of Michael Des Barres who played the Evil Master Malcolm Graves:

Although completely recognizable, I couldn't believe he was the cute, loveable kid in To Sir With Love

Still recognizable in his early rock star career:

..and still super handsome today! And I think he looks exactly the same!

The Three Stooges shorts 6-8p had a few surprises too, although the episodes themselves were meh.

Outer Space Jitters '57 had a monster played by Dan Blocker! Blocker obviously was a big, beefy guy. His cute face was obliterated by prosthetics but he used his body very effectively. Last scene, the babysitter is wearing the goofy make-up. Reminded me of the bear in The Shining-

...and the 1951 short Scrambled Brains had Shemp as mentally ill/delusional, with one scene where he was playing piano and extra hands emerged from his back playing with him. He slammed the keyboard cover down and broke off his fingers-the dismembered finger tips continued to play! All I could think of was that Japanese horror film Hausu '77.

Maybe horror gets it's inspiration from the Stooges?
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

For anyone who has never seen the classic THE UNINVITED I hope you did not watch it this evening as it was shamelessly edited to death without a shred of guilt or decency.

They had to make room for Spawn of Svengoolie.

I was appalled.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 10:23 pm For anyone who has never seen the classic THE UNINVITED I hope you did not watch it this evening as it was shamelessly edited to death without a shred of guilt or decency.
Maybe appalling to us, classic film fans.
But if just ONE kid watches & enjoys it, it may get them past the common "black & white movie" prejudice.

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

TikiSoo, you are putting a reasonable and positive spin on this but I have to tell you that I AM INCENSED!!

THE UNINVITED is not the kind of movie one expects on a Svengoolie show because there is nothing to be spoofed at (or interrupted) -- it's a quality production all the way through. We're not talking about fun schlock stuff like, say, ROBOT MONSTER or THE ALLIGATOR PEOPLE where part of the enjoyment watching them is all the Sven schtick. But THE UNINVITED? Hell no.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I watched it but was unsure what got edited out. Hadn't seen it in a long time. Though a quality production, I thought the book was so much better. Hated the Milland wisecracks. The book wasn't like that at all. How long is this movie? Sven is 2 1/2 hrs now. Over 45 mins of schtick and commercials???
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Hibi wrote: July 25th, 2023, 1:29 pm I watched it but was unsure what got edited out. (snipped) Over 45 mins of schtick and commercials???
The Uninvited, like most mysteries & horror, is best seen without interruption to the story flow.
Anytime you watch a movie on TV your concentration of the story will be temporarily broken.

According to Wiki, The Uninvited is 98 minutes long.
Svengoolie's time slot is 150 minutes, which leaves 52 minutes for credits/schtick/commercials, so Hibi's not far off.

Bronxgirl, please enlighten us which crucial scenes were edited out.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

TikiSoo wrote: July 27th, 2023, 6:31 am
Hibi wrote: July 25th, 2023, 1:29 pm I watched it but was unsure what got edited out. (snipped) Over 45 mins of schtick and commercials???
The Uninvited, like most mysteries & horror, is best seen without interruption to the story flow.
Anytime you watch a movie on TV your concentration of the story will be temporarily broken.

According to Wiki, The Uninvited is 98 minutes long.
Svengoolie's time slot is 150 minutes, which leaves 52 minutes for credits/schtick/commercials, so Hibi's not far off.

Bronxgirl, please enlighten us which crucial scenes were edited out.
I rarely watch any of Sven's segments aside from the song, if he has one, and the cast overview. I switch over or FF through commercials. I switched cable companies and lost picture in picture which I really miss as I could avoid so much junk. I have to be careful not to stay too long on another channel killing time during commercial breaks. i do enjoy his lead in jokes in the film sometimes.
j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

Apparently Amazon sales of The Uninvited on DVD and Blu-ray have picked up since Saturday. I'm not going to defend Sven's schtick, but if the show helps introduce younger viewers to classic films that's got to be a plus. I assume you've met people who say they just can't watch black-and-white movies?

(And I haven't seen a Spawn of Svengoolie segment that wasn't seriously cringe-inducing. But Koz won't live forever, so the show ought to be thinking about succession and continuity.)
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

TikiSoo, the edited scenes were crucial not in terms of plot development but overall mood and flow. 1. Milland and Hussey go to Donald Crisp's house to describe the ghostly goings on 2. Scenes with Lizzie the maid 3. run-ins with the patients at Cornelia Otis Skinner's creepy institute
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 27th, 2023, 10:30 pm TikiSoo, the edited scenes were crucial not in terms of plot development but overall mood and flow. 1. Milland and Hussey go to Donald Crisp's house to describe the ghostly goings on
I agree with your assessment about "mood & flow", it doesn't have to be a big incident or dialogue missing that makes a difference.
I do recall seeing the above scene, though. Crisp's charactor gets a bit annoyed/offended with their accusation.

2. Scenes with Lizzie the maid 3. run-ins with the patients at Cornelia Otis Skinner's creepy institute

Although there were scenes with Lizzie the Maid, her role did seem truncated, something was missing.
Do not recall the creepy institute, though.
Good call!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

TikiSoo wrote: July 28th, 2023, 5:39 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 27th, 2023, 10:30 pm TikiSoo, the edited scenes were crucial not in terms of plot development but overall mood and flow. 1. Milland and Hussey go to Donald Crisp's house to describe the ghostly goings on
I agree with your assessment about "mood & flow", it doesn't have to be a big incident or dialogue missing that makes a difference.
I do recall seeing the above scene, though. Crisp's charactor gets a bit annoyed/offended with their accusation.

2. Scenes with Lizzie the maid 3. run-ins with the patients at Cornelia Otis Skinner's creepy institute

Although there were scenes with Lizzie the Maid, her role did seem truncated, something was missing.
Good call!
In the Sven version the cat got more screen time than Lizzie the Maid! Since I love the film so much, I still ended up watching it.

Double edge sword for me; At least Sven showed a first-class film instead of the less than "B" films he often shows.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:)
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Good call!

Thanks, TikiSoo. Actually now that I think about it that scene with the Commander and the Fitzgeralds could be seen to advance the plot since (and I won't give spoilers for anyone who has never seen the film) it gives Crisp even more resolve to take matters into his own hands in order to protect Stella. As for #2 I should have added that Lizzie isn't just the maid but a beloved member of the Fitzgerald family going way back to when Rick and Pamela were children. Her edited scenes add warmth and texture to the Fitzgerald back story. "I'm sitting in your mother's chair in case anything happens", lines to that effect, also some other dialogue that reveal just how special and loyal this woman is. #3 abounds in whimsical grotesquery as Rick and Pam wait in the reception area of the institute in order to have a private conversation with Miss Holloway. They come across a "Miss Bird", one of the patients, who has her own special relationship with Cornelia, lol.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 28th, 2023, 10:10 am

Good call!
In the Sven version the cat got more screen time than Lizzie the Maid! Since I love the film so much, I still ended up watching it.

Double edge sword for me; At least Sven showed a first-class film instead of the less than "B" films he often shows.

Also Bobby the terrier, lol.

I don't want first class films on Svengoolie! I want schlock! Mind you, the "good" schlock.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

I started wondering while watching it if perhaps Miss Holloway had only somehow met Mrs. Danvers (from another movie, of course), would they have finally found love and gone off to live happier lives together?

(...OR, would they have eventually come to resent the idea that the each of them were not nearly as beautiful as their respective first loves?)