This week on SVENGOOLIE...

RedRiver

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by RedRiver »

I wish that Svengoolie would try to get copies of interesting low budget movies

I used to say this about Elvira's program. Her humorous interludes were fun, But she showed the WORST horror movies ever made!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I've only seen Elvira in passing, but it's news to me that she had a show like Sven's with movies too. For some reason, I thought she just did parodies of some other kind.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

moira, how could I forget the shrunken heads, lol? :D :D :D

I loved the cigarette dangling from Rock's mouth during his blood pressure test. The doctor didn't seem to mind.

After hapless Kent Smith is through "examining" Ann Sheridan in NORA PRENTISS, she asks him for a smoke and a drink. He promptly produces both.

Ah, those were the days....
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Bronxgirl48 wrote:moira, how could I forget the shrunken heads, lol? :D :D :D

I loved the cigarette dangling from Rock's mouth during his blood pressure test. The doctor didn't seem to mind.

After hapless Kent Smith is through "examining" Ann Sheridan in NORA PRENTISS, she asks him for a smoke and a drink. He promptly produces both.

Ah, those were the days....
I like the way that when someone was shot or sick, they always gave them a cigarette to "steady their nerves" in old movies. Poor Annie-- Cagney wrote in his memoir that smoking was why she died so young!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Something that always puzzles me -- people don't call for an ambulance in old movies; they just take the injured person to a bedroom in someone's apartment.

Interesting, that Cagney comment about Sheridan. I love her. Terribly underrated as an actress I think. A wonderful comedienne too -- she's the only one I can stand in THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Bronxgirl48 wrote:Something that always puzzles me -- people don't call for an ambulance in old movies; they just take the injured person to a bedroom in someone's apartment.
And people who have been shot or run over or have beri-beri or something are "too sick to be moved." Yeah, okay, I can grasp the idea that people avoided hospitals in the old days, but by the '30s maybe medical science had made SOME advances in hygiene and treatment, no? I think the idea that hospitals might be safer might be part of what the Dr. Kildare movies were trying to convey, even if some of the medical info was bizarrely wrong, if dramatic (like the time they showed Ava Gardner's arthritic mommy recovering pretty fully or those vague references to Dr. Gillespie's "cancer of the elbow" in a few of the flicks).
Bronxgirl48 wrote: Interesting, that Cagney comment about Sheridan. I love her. Terribly underrated as an actress I think. A wonderful comedienne too -- she's the only one I can stand in THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER.
My fondness for her just grows every time I see her. She had the most natural laugh and cry in movies--and she could always make me listen to her, even if the lines were uninspired, her playing of them was exceptional. Has she been a TCM Star of the Month??

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

To elaborate on Cagney's comment about Miss Sheridan: "A three pack a day smoker."

She's always been a fave.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I once witnessed a bicycle accident. The injured rider didn't care all that much about being treated. He just wanted a cigarette! When I remarked on that, somebody said, "Clearly, you're not a smoker. That's the FIRST thing you do!"
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Cult of the Cobra - 1955 Movie

[youtube][/youtube]

I'm looking forward to see this movie this Saturday ... I haven't seen this movie for a very long time!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I like Faith Domergue, even though to me she is more of a lovely, smoky-eyed presence than an actress. I really liked her after reading an interview with Tom Weaver with her about her rocky career, alleged involvement with Howard Hughes, and her attitude toward some of her roles and films. She came across as a down-to-earth lady with such a good attitude toward the past, I was very impressed with her equanimity and humor, little of which ever seemed to be captured by the camera in any of the films I saw her perform in over time. If interested much of the interview with Weaver for "I Was a Monster Movie Maker" can be seen here:
https://books.google.com/books?id=Hx1go ... er&f=false

We had a pretty lively discussion of Cult of the Cobra in the past:
http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... ra#p138558

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

CULT OF THE COBRA is an absolute delight. What makes a great movie? Theme, character, construction? Or does fun count? On the fun scale, this is a classic!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I completely agree, R.R. I own the DVD (part of the Universal Sci-Fi Collection) and watch CULT OF THE COBRA often. Definitely a fun movie - sorta like an early disaster film: Which one of those future TV stars is going to get it next . . . and how?
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks Moira, Western Guy, and Red River for your input here. :)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

moira, I think Ann Sheridan was a TCM Star of the Month, but you'd know better than moi.

Anybody watch DRACULA'S DAUGHTER? I've always loved Gloria Holden in that role, and frankly could never see her as anyone else. One time she popped up in an Andy Hardy movie and I was taken aback. Countess Zaleska residing in good old Carvel, gliding along those all-American neighborhoods at night, wistfully looking into empty ice-cream parlors and wishing she could enjoy a banana split like everyone else instead of hypnotizing Andy's girlfriends and drinking their blood.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

The Creature Walks Among Us - 1956 Movie

[youtube][/youtube]

I've did not know that this movie ever existed and I'm very curious about it - Showing this Saturday on SVENGOOLIE.