See Jayne Act: The Burglar (1957)

MissGoddess

See Jayne Act: The Burglar (1957)

Post by MissGoddess »

The Burglar, directed by Paul Wendkos, written by David Goodis.

My goodness! One of the most brilliant films noir I've seen...I loved it! TCM has got to show it. I never heard of it until TCM released it for its Film Noir Classics III, though I see it was screened at one of the Roxy film noir fests. I don't know that it's ever been on TCM, but for those of you who can get hold of a copy, I recommend it super highly.

I liked my corny little title but good as Jayne is, it's Dan Duryea all the way. This is now my favorite performance by him. There is an odd tenderness, the kind of surprising gentleness like when Richard Widmark plays a nice guy. It's like seeing the real Dan behind a tired mask. He's not laughing, he's listening, and torturing himself and wandering, like Scottie in Vertigo. He does what he does and he can't say why, why he's so committed. I don't want to reveal more because it would give away the thrust of the story. Not only are plot and characters superbly delineated, but the visuals are stunning, very emotional and reminiscent of Welles and Fuller. Jayne is excellent and very touching as Martin Scorsese says in his intro to the DVD; she also gets to show some complexity and intelligence whereas I fully expected a more exploitative use of her attractions. This is the best thing I've seen her in, for sure.

Martha Vickers as the seductive "Della". You can see the effect she has on Dan.

I also want to mention how great Martha Vickers is as "Della". She made me laugh and touched me unexpectedly during her brief monologue, a run-down of her history to Dan's sympathetic ear. Such a pretty girl, too.

I love finding unexpected surprises like this. I admit I was wrong to pre-judge the movie based on a banal title. Plenty of twists that surprised me and it just gets better as it goes along to the end of the line.

Dan Duryea as "Nathaniel" and Jayne Mansfied as the unusually named "Gladden".
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Re: See Jayne Act: The Burglar (1957)

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Miss Goddess ... I vaguely remember this film and I remembered it being a good film noir and I have some memories of this and I do like to see this movie again because it is one of Dan Duryea's better performances.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hi there Miss G.. Wow, what a ringing endorsement. Well (again) you've piqued my interest. Soooooooo on this cloudy rainy 'Sunday in New York', I shall put on my Scarlet Street see-through raincoat, lace up my waterproof Ugg boots, grab my bright red umbrella and make my way to Manhattan's Barnes & Noble and see if I can pick up that Film Noir Classics III set. I remember seeing the commercial for "The Burglar" and noting how serious Jayne looked as Duryea had her arm hurrying down the street. I thought "if only they had given her a chance."

Hollywood...it really ain't for the faint of heart is it, once a girl goes through the gauntlet of agents, casting directors, producers and wolves. ( Sigh! ) Little Red Riding Hood had it a heckuva lot easier going through the woods. I'm going to check out the movie. Thanx for the recommendation.

Oh, your "corny" title...very clever. Harkens back to the days when I was being taught to read. :)

* Naaaah, I don't have a see-through Joan Bennett "Scarlet Street" raincoat. But I wish I did.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Kingme, you should see it again. Definitely an interesting film. CinemAva, I think you won't be disappointed. I really like *Tight Spot*, too, with Ginger and my boy, Brian Keith (sigh).

P.S. I could have used a slicker like Kitty's today myself. Watch for those puddles!
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I will try to keep an eye out for it! ... Miss G.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Silly me, Miss G.. Drenched and unsuccessful. I think "...Classics III" is not out yet on DVD, at least not at Barnes & Noble's or J & R. Whew! I need a towel!

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I couldn't find it online either.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Huh? What? I'll get to the bottom of this Wendy.

Okay Miss G., give it up...whose your connection? Is it That Man in Havana...Texas?

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Yes, that man again!

I'm sorry B&N turned up empty. I checked and it turns out the set is only available at the TCM site (Movies Unlimited). I did suggest it at TCM for them to show it; I figure they might to drum up sales. They've shown Tight Spot, I believe, and some of the Bogart films that are in a set also exclusive to Movies Unlimited. Let's hope!
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh wait! I may actually have it. :oops:
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

:oops: :oops: holy cow!!! :oops: :oops:

That man? < ( gulp ) >

I have it.

The Lone Star State comes through again!

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

would love to know what you and Wendy think of it. i think you'll both appreciate its verve and the depth of duryea's performance.
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

get cracking, ladies! (just kidding, take your time)

-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I have to find it first!

It's starting to be like walking through Jack Benny's basement vault every time I try to find a dvd anymore.

But I don't have any alligators.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

ha! i love that cartoon with the benny-mice.

i was in the same mess, i finally organized my dvds alphabetically because i could NOT locate the ones I wanted anymore. it gets out of control!

oddly, the very next dvd i watched turned out to be a movie by the same director, paul wendkos, made the following year called the case against brooklyn. i must say it was not nearly so good. it was fair, but not as emotionally involving. this in part was due to the abrasive darren mcgavin playing the lead. he's not at all a nice guy, no charm, no subtlety. that worked for kolchak, not so much here.

i should add that yes, mcgavin is playing a character that has lost sight of what's important, but the problem is he comes across as someone who never had what he lost sight of in the first place. namely, heart.
-- Will Rogers