See Jayne Act: The Burglar (1957)

ChiO

Re: See Jayne Act: The Burglar (1957)

Post by ChiO »

Some other Jayne Mansfield noirs to look for:

FEMALE JUNGLE (Bruno VeSota 1955) is her first film and it is in my Top 10 Noirs. Just as THE BURGLAR was the hit at the Roxie a couple of Mays ago, this will be the hit this May (so says this sage, seer, & soothsayer). Having Lawrence Tierney and John Carradine along doesn't hurt.

ILLEGAL (Lewis Allen 1955). Other cast members who have a few noirs among them include Edward G. Robinson, Nina Foch, Hugh Marlowe, Albert Dekker, Edward Platt, Jay Adler and DeForest Kelley.

IT TAKES A THIEF (John Gilling 1960), wherein she is the boss of a gang. Co-starring Anthony Quayle.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Anthony Quayle?! I'll look for those, thanks ChiO.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]JACK FAVELL[/u] wrote: It's starting to be like walking through Jack Benny's basement vault every time I try to find a dvd anymore.
At least you're fifteen years away from turning thirty-nine...
[color=#000080][u]MISS GODDESS[/u][/color] wrote:i was in the same mess, i finally organized my dvds alphabetically because i could NOT locate the ones I wanted anymore. it gets out of control!
Be careful your boys don't rearrange things while you're at work. And by the by...no more videos? Wha' hoppin'? Are they on strike? Or has my subscription been cancelled?
I sure could have used him to help me get the (forgotten) combination to my gym locker in high school. Sheeesh!

I'll make a point to watch "THE BURGLAR" over the weekend. Your review is intriguing.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

At least you're fifteen years away from turning thirty-nine...
I'll take that to mean 24. As opposed to the number on the other side of 39...shiver
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

the boys did their best to "help" me get organized...or disorganized? anyway, i do need to videotape them soon, i just haven't been quick enough lately to catch them at anything cute. :)
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

As opposed to the number on the other side of 39...shiver
'Scuse me?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Sorry. The closer I get to 54, the uglier it looks on me. I thought I would be cool with aging, but I must say, I dislike it's effects on my face.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Okay Miss G.. I thought I missed something. Don't be a lazybones. Get up at three am if you have to. They've got a public out there whose been with them since the beginning.

As for 54 JaaaAaackaay, (...and I was talking about the '24' side of 39), what about that old adage about 'age ain't nuthin' but a number?' I have waaay more years on you to think of age as just a number. I've done a pretty good job of tricking myself. (Though I can't run up subway steps like I used to).

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Some other Jayne Mansfield noirs to look for:
FEMALE JUNGLE (Bruno VeSota 1955) is her first film and it is in my Top 10 Noirs. Just as THE BURGLAR was the hit at the Roxie a couple of Mays ago, this will be the hit this May (so says this sage, seer, & soothsayer). Having Lawrence Tierney and John Carradine along doesn't hurt.

On the strength of these two performances alone (FEMALE JUNGLE and THE BURGLAR) I think it's fair to say that Miss Mansfield deserves far more respect as an actress than she is normally accorded. Both films are astonishing and her contributions to them inestimable.
THE BURGLAR
[youtube][/youtube]
FEMALE JUNGLE
[youtube][/youtube]
I will forever be indebted to ChiO for turning me on to FEMALE JUNGLE. And so will the crowd at the Roxie on Friday, May 18!!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]DEWEY 1960[/u] wrote:On the strength of these two performances alone (FEMALE JUNGLE and THE BURGLAR) I think it's fair to say that Miss Mansfield deserves far more respect as an actress than she is normally accorded. Both films are astonishing and her contributions to them inestimable. I will forever be indebted to ChiO for turning me on to FEMALE JUNGLE. And so will the crowd at the Roxie on Friday, May 18!!
Thanx Dewey, ChiO and Miss G. for shining some light on Jayne Mansfield. I really wish I could have been in San Francisco for the Roxie Noir fest! As for Jayne...what might have been. At least her daughter, Mariska Hargitay, is getting acknowledged for her fine dramatic turns on "LAW & ORDER: SUV."

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

While on the topic of THE BURGLAR, we should also acknowledge the noir credentials of David Goodis, the author of the novel on which this incredible film is based. Goodis, like Cornell Woolrich, lived a life that tragically paralleled the characters he so knowingly wrote about. Here's an interesting link with all sorts of useful information on this strange, mysterious author.
http://www.davidgoodis.com/
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Well, I have learned something else to day that what I thought I knew about Jayne Mansfield which admittedly wasn't much has to be readjusted to take into account that she is much more than a sex symbol who doesn't have over inflated breasts (well not by today's surgically enhanced standards). Can anyone tell me why she has such a reputation, did she start out in good movies and make some bad choices that put her in other vehicles?

Back to The Burglar, I loved it too, I thought it was Dan Duryea's movies although I didn't buy him being 35 or a similar age to Gladden, looking at the imdb I find he was nearly 50 and looked very good for it. Someone else has said it but he reminds me of Richard Widmark too but softer with more vulnerablity. The first half of the film was slightly seedy, with the other 2 men watching Gladden wanting to make a move and feeling frustrated, she doesn't move Nat though, although she would like to so she's easy pray for the corrupt copper who follows her, a good plot twist that I didn't expect and once the film moved to Atlantic City the location work was excellent. A good story by John Goodis.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Brian McFadden

Post by Brian McFadden »

This is a great little gem that takes you right back in time, and Miss Goddess is so right about the visuals. Check out the opening credits showing the Philly railroad tracks. Or Jane walking up to the mansion where the spiritualist is living. While it was released in 1957, I believe the movie was shot two years earlier, just before Jayne began getting some real attention.

Brian
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I don't know THE BURGLAR, but I just back-tracked this thread. It sounds good! I've read a little Goodis. Dark stories; flawed people. I'll keep an eye for this movie.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The Burglar (1957) is on youtube in its entirety, beginning here:

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks