George Raft

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: George Raft

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Funnily enough I've just finished watching The Adventures of Errol Flynn recorded for TCM which a friend was kind enough to send to me. I've never watched a biopic so well put together and so many names willing to talk about him. The TV biopic served him much better than any book I've ever read about him. His daughter Deidre was one of the contributors, I think you mentioned being friends with Rory. Deidre looks like her father.

What a completely sweet guy Raymond Burr was, thinking about the under dog and giving his money away, a man after my own heart.

It was apparent in George's early movies that he had a slightly Latino/Italian look about him but only when viewing in technicolour does the tone become apparent and it was very becoming for him, unlike Cary Grant who's preferred shade of tan I've never been keen on.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

I watched A Bullet For Joey today, it was a bit like Piccadilly Circus here, I must have stopped the film at least ten times but I was rather taken with it nonetheless. The fun is in the casting of the two screen gangsters of old, Robinson and Raft, Robinson playing the good guy and Raft playing the bad guy who can be redeemed and is. I love Edward G, he's so watchable and to the detriment of the movie the two guys only get together towards the end of the movie, I got a real feeling of two old pros enjoying being in a film together, perhaps it's just me projecting my own thoughts. I know the earlier feud became water under the bridge, I feel from these two later movies that George was a lot more certain in his screen persona, I know you've said that with the wrong director he just says the lines but I felt with these last two movies that he was very relaxed, in no way did I feel that Edward G dominated any of the scenes although I've seen him do that with other performers, like Cagney, I think it was just the actor he was.I didn't feel Audrey Totter was good casting, the doctor didn't have time for females and needed to be wowwed by a real beauty, as a woman I didn't see it.

I have to say a word about trousers, Simon Cowell, I think he's known in America, very famous here for trousers with high waistlines, he has nothing on a pair that George wore early on in the picture, they had tucks in them which made the material billow a little and didn't do anything for his profile, it made him look like he was carrying weight but I think it was bad tailoring. Once he was in a suit he looked far more comfortable.

I've noticed too a ring, it was in the movie yesterday, I have an eye for jewellry, even on men, a pinkie ring I think it's called in America, worn on the little finger of the left hand. Did that belong to George or was it just these two characters seem to have the same ring as an adornment?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Hey Allison:

Re Errol Flynn: I'd really suggest you try to obtain a copy of Rory's book "The Baron of Mulholland Road". Errol has been much maligned and there's no doubt that he was somewhat of a rascal, but there definitely was another side to the man. BTW: Here's a link to the ICONS Radio Program where Rory Flynn talks both about her dad and the book.

http://iconsradio.com/errolflynnshow.html

I like A Bullet for Joey. It's no Rogue Cop, but how can one dislike any movie with the two vintage tough guys, not to mention the gorgeous Audrey Totter (another sweetheart, btw) thrown into the mix. I find it's one of those pictures that I actually enjoy more each time I watch it - though maybe Eddie G. as a French police inspector is stretching it a tad.

As for Raft's jewelry, can't help you there, outside of the fact that he always wore his St. Christopher medal. As I mentioned, he was a very religious man. Not a churchgoer (as was, surprisingly, Leo Gorcey) but possessed of a deep faith.
charliechaplinfan

Yes, I thought it was stretching it a bit, he doesn't look or attempt to sound French Canadian at all. It is a fun picture, one I'll watch again. I'm not overly fimiliar with Audrey Totter, I think I've only seen her in a couple of movies, both of those noirs. The ageing gangster type well suited Raft.

On doesn't need to go to church all the time to be spiritual, many were put off by the doctrines of the time from attending church but kept a faith in God and the bible. I only have to look at my parents generation to see how many were scared away from the church.

I will listen to that broadcast and buy the book, I've been fond of Errol for a long time, he was one of the first stars I discovered and his impact was huge but finding out about him 20 years ago, one only got the innuendo not the facts. At least this view is being corrected a little.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Raymond Burr...And those blue eyes!

You must be thinking of Ironside, Moira. Perry Mason's eyes were black and white!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:Raymond Burr...And those blue eyes!

You must be thinking of Ironside, Moira. Perry Mason's eyes were black and white!
The next thing you'll be trying to tell me that Perry and Della were never an item.

Btw: Check out the Perry Mason episodes in color (they show up on me-tv once in awhile). I'm not a rigid purist or anything, but for some reason I like B & W better most of the time.

Also: I loathed Ironside. Those nerds around him were annoying and the crimes were tedious. At least on Perry Mason I learned something useful, like never trust Dabbs Greer, Whit Bissell or Richard Erdman. If those ubiquitous character actors were in the cast, you can be sure they will be bleating out a confession before the end of the hour.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

It's Ironside I've been thinking of in the 80s, when did he star as Perry Mason?
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Perry was in color? I don't think I've ever seen a color episode. Like you, Moira, I don't think it would have the same feel. Not that it's dark and creepy, like say...DETOUR. But it has such a backlot look about it. The melodrama, the exaggerated characters. It's so old fashioned!

Chaplin Fan, PERRY MASON was a popular TV show from the mid 1950-s to well into the 60's. Early episodes are tighter and classier than the later seasons. But Perry is always worth watching!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moirafinnie wrote:
RedRiver wrote:Raymond Burr...And those blue eyes!

The next thing you'll be trying to tell me that Perry and Della were never an item.

Btw: Check out the Perry Mason episodes in color (they show up on me-tv once in awhile). I'm not a rigid purist or anything, but for some reason I like B & W better most of the time.

Also: I loathed Ironside. Those nerds around him were annoying and the crimes were tedious. At least on Perry Mason I learned something useful, like never trust Dabbs Greer, Whit Bissell or Richard Erdman. If those ubiquitous character actors were in the cast, you can be sure they will be bleating out a confession before the end of the hour.
I love Perry Mason and I dislike Ironside ... I have nothing against Ironside in General ... but, I find the show Script, Pace, and the supporting character that supported Chief Ironside (Raymond Burr) not so withstanding and difficult for me to understand because (being hard of hearing) they simply do not speak well at front of the Camera. My Parents love this Show and I did not. I love re-runs of Perry Mason in the late 80's and early 90's on one of my local television channel and I love the chemistry of Perry and Della. And, not to mentioned ... the supporting player by the name of William Hopper who ...

played Paul Drake (pictured far right) was so good ... that I find him one of the best actor for me to follow along and he and Raymond Burr had fantastic chemistry together. That's why I love Perry Mason ... not Ironside. Paul Drake made it wonderful for me ... He had a great speaking voice on Television back in those days.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I agree with you about Bill Hopper, kingme. He was very good because he came across so natural, aided by, as you noted, that great voice. The interesting thing is that from all that I've read, Hopper was never all that thrilled with being an actor.

And lest we forget the wonderful William Talman. Another actor who, like R.B., was noted previously for his parade of nasty screen villains, such as The Hitch-hiker and criminal behind The Armored Car Robbery.
charliechaplinfan

I've watched my third George Raft film in a week, I don't think he's just saying the lines, I think he's quite good, admittedly I might not have picked the really bad movies yet but today I watched A Dangerous Profession and I can honestly say that I enjoyed the movie because George Raft and Pat O'Brien are in it but I did get a bit confused, it doesn't take much and bail bonds aren't something that I've come across apart from in the movies. I followed it for so long, then got confused when Mackay was blackmailed, why? I'm presuming he knoew something about Claude's misdemeanour. Apart from that I liked the movie and although not quite as good as Red Light it's entertaining.

Remember we talked about the goons in Some Like It Hot? This link shows the picture with the two guys I was talking about, it's quite a good one of all involved and shows why the film wouldn't have looked as good in colour.

Stone, I wanted to ask about early pictures of George Raft, are there any in existence before he came to Hollywood? Particularly are there any in existence from his childhood?
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I agree. A Dangerous Profession is quite good. George and Pat O'Brien make a good team (I've got a great candid photo of Pat and George - and Lou Costello - that came along after I published my book that I would love to do something with). Which brings me to your second question. Yes, I do have some early Raft shots, including an ultra-rare baby photo. Again, if I could get a second edition going (which seems unlikely since the sales of my book don't warrant a second printing), I'd love to include these. Mostly candids that I don't think have been widely seen. Including a very early pre-Hollywood shot of George before he got his ears fixed.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Western Guy wrote:I agree with you about Bill Hopper, kingme. He was very good because he came across so natural, aided by, as you noted, that great voice. The interesting thing is that from all that I've read, Hopper was never all that thrilled with being an actor.

And lest we forget the wonderful William Talman. Another actor who, like R.B., was noted previously for his parade of nasty screen villains, such as The Hitch-hiker and criminal behind The Armored Car Robbery.
Thanks Western Guy for your comment here!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

My pleasure, kingme. Love this site and discussing classic movies!
charliechaplinfan

I forgot about the ears, they can be so much trouble, did he look as Clark Gable supposedly said about himself 'like a taxi cab with both doors left open'?

I did like A Dangerous Profession, but it was the guys that made it, Jim Backus too. It hails back to the thirties and that kind of touch guy that I love, it suits them and it's good for us watching.

I have some pictures to post of George, just ones that I've picked up from a google search but I thought it would be nice to add some more pics to our thread.