LISTS

Chit-chat, current events
CineMaven

Re: LISTS

Post by CineMaven »

All sorts of things are addictive. ...And corrupts absolutely.
[u][color=#FF0000]RedRiver[/color][/u] wrote:In some ways, this is scarier than all the others!
:)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

A very difficult year for me to pick a Top Ten. But let's start with some significant events: Bogart, Ophuls and von Stroheim died. M Squad, starring Lee Marvin, starts on TV. And on radio, a young actor/theater director discusses on a radio program the play he's directing and says it would make a good movie. When asked what it would take to finance it, he replied, "if people really want to see a movie about people, they should just contribute money." Nearly $2,500 came in the next week and John Cassavetes started shooting SHADOWS.

1. SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS (Alexander Mackendrick) - This gives one a whole new perspective on his four earlier Ealing comedies.

2. THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN (Jack Arnold) - Denial. Anger. Bargaining. Depression. Acceptance.

3. PATHS OF GLORY (Stanley Kubrick) - Now you got the edge on him. Absurdism. In the reality.

4. NIGHTFALL (Jacques Tourneur) - Things that really happen are always difficult to explain. The essence of film noir.

5. FORTY GUNS (Samuel Fuller) - What a hyper-sexualized opening! Then it gets going.

6. HELL DRIVERS (Cy Endfield) - ON THE WATERFRONT made by a guy who left rather than name names.

7. SAINT JOAN (Otto Preminger) - One of his more maligned films, I love everything about it. Maybe Otto is Joan.

8. HIT AND RUN (Hugo Haas) - Beautiful young wife. Attractive young man. Cuckolded old husband. Hugo, Hugo, Hugo.

9. BITTER VICTORY (Nicholas Ray) - I kill the living...and save the dead. Why does every great line in a Nicholas Ray movie sound like it's about Nicholas Ray?

10. RUN OF THE ARROW (Samuel Fuller) - The last shot of the Civil War doesn't end the personal war.

Plenty of wonderful non-English language films, but my three favorites: THE LOWER DEPTHS (Kurosawa); THRONE OF BLOOD (Kurosawa); LE NOTTI BIANCHE (Visconti).

Best Performance in the Timothy Carey Role: (tie) Timothy Carey in PATHS OF GLORY and Timothy Carey in BAYOU aka POOR WHITE TRASH (Harold Daniels). (runner-up) Ben Gazzara in THE STRANGE ONE (Jack Garfein).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

At risk of violating my gag order, Chio's first two choices are among my favorite movies, period! Phenomenal writing by Odets in one; superb performance by a big-ass spider in the other!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"Match me, Sidney!"
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I had my premiere in Oct 1957.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

A very good year, Movieman! :)

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I would be remiss, and my soul would wander sleeplessly ( and movie-lessly ) on earth, if I did not redress my error and include two of my favorite films for years I’ve already posted. It's an oversight I’d like to correct now:

:) “DESERT FURY” ( 1947 ) - ( Lewis Allen )

Image Image
Click foto for full film - Wendell Corey, John Hodiak, Lizabeth Scott and Mary Astor

This is one of the best movies from one of my favorite years ( 1947. ) Mother and Daughter kind of go for the same man, and a gunsel is in love with his boss. It’s all mixed up in there in surreptitious subversive ways and I urge you to see "Desert Fury" if you haven’t already. Go on...click the picture.

:) “BLOOD OF DRACULA” ( 1957 ) - ( Herbert L. Strock )

What’s a nice girl like you doing in a costume like this:

Image Image
Sandra Harrison - before and after - looking more like Eddie Munster’s mother than Yvonne DeCarlo did

One of my favorite films of 1957 on my list of favorite films of 1957 is “BLOOD OF DRACULA.” For me, “Blood of Dracula” is a feminist horror movie ( of sorts. ) Not only do we have our first female teenage monster. Rah! Rah! Rah! Sis, boom, bah! But we have a lady scientist ( played by Louise Lewis ) who tries to affect change. I love her speech:

“We live in a world ruled by men for men. They won’t even consider my thesis. They mock me...my work. But they’re convinced that they’re on the right track...they search for power in the wrong place....I can release a destructive power in a human being that would make the split atom seem like a blessing.”

Yes...she goes down a horribly wrong path, but I want equality between the sexes. She’s just as entitled to be a “mad scientist” as any man is.

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The King of Rats! You make some very interesting and admirable choices. My older brother fell for THE KEY at a time when we usually watched cowboy shows and adventures. That's when I knew he was one SERIOUS movie fan! It is a fine, respectful drama, especially now that I'm more than eight years old! I had forgotten it was the work of Carol Reed. That explains a lot.

TARNISHED ANGELS is an intriguing Sirk drama. The characters are believable. Hence, the story isn't contrived. And I like THE BIG COUNTRY more than most people. Some find it trite and melodramatic. But it's well-cast, emotional and exciting. I have no problem with this outdoor soap opera! I've only seen half of THE QUIET AMERICAN, but I didn't object to that telling. The one from 2002 is better, and quite faithful to Greene's exceptional novel. Still, your choice is a good one.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

( 1958 )

Ahhh, 1958. The end of my family life as I know it. My baby brother is born and the last of the Maven siblings are in tow. NOW...the fight for a window seat in the back of my Dad’s Chevrolet really begins in earnest for the next ten years. Well, at least I can watch these favorite movies in peace:

:) “ATTACK OF THE FIFTY FOOT WOMAN” - ( Nathan H. Juran )

Allison Hayes

“HARRY!!!”

“Anything you can do, I can do better. I can wear anything skimpier than you!” Here’s the story...of an unhappy lady. She’s been manhandled by an alien from another planet, and her problems just...got...bigger.

:) “BONJOUR TRISTESSE” - ( Otto Preminger )

David Niven & Jean Seberg

“Brilliant!”

An Electra Complex goes horribly wrong for this spoiled little Daddy’s girl. But hey, the Riviera is gorgeous!

:) “SCREAMING MIMI” - ( Gerd Oswald )

Anita Ekberg

“She’s a great dame with a Great Dane.”

This is a wild bizarre disturbing movie that I love and will watch every time.

:) “TARNISHED ANGELS” - ( Douglas Sirk )

Robert Stack, Jack Carson, Dorothy Malone & Rock Hudson

After their splashy and colorful meeting in “Written on the Wind” comes this more thought-provoking, but no less provocative Sirk drama. No derricks in this one, but at least Rock Hudson pays attention to Dorothy Malone.

Oops!! I forgot to include “Written on the Wind” on my list as one of my ten favorite films of 1956. No matter. I will name it on my upcoming list as one of my favorite film from the 1950's.

:) “WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST” - ( Bert I. Gordon )

Glenn Langan

The sequel. And he’s STILL colossal. Oh my!!

:) “WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION” - ( Billy Wilder )

Tyrone Power

“Did you miss me Duckie?!”

It’s one of my favorite Charles Laughton roles...and I love the courtroom genre anyway. This is one of the best.

:) “VERTIGO” - ( Alfred Hitchcock )

Kim Novak

To love. To be loved. Hitchcock’s best.

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Whatta year! Was it the year for Horror films with subtext? THE FLY. THE BLOB. CURSE OF THE DEMON. THE ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN. I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE. And more. Nine movies rose to the top quickly for me. The fight for #10 was vicious.

1. TOUCH OF EVIL (Orson Welles) - A honeymoon in a nightmare becomes an essay on disloyalty.

2. THE TARNISHED ANGELS (Douglas Sirk) - Faulkner, Eliot & Sirk. Stack, Hudson & Malone. And Carson.

3. COP HATER (William Berke) - It's a stinkin' job in a stinkin' city full of stinkin' people.

4. VERTIGO (Alfred Hitchcock) - A reflection on obsession.

5. PARTY GIRL (Nicholas Ray) - There is no finer Gangster Musical Surrealistic Noir Melodrama. The Ray Rosetta Stone for me.

6. THE LINEUP (Don Siegel) - Dancer.

7. MURDER BY CONTRACT (Irving Lerner) - A gun, a job and a love story.

8. TERROR IN A TEXAS TOWN (Joseph H. Lewis) - Home is the sailor, home from the sea.

9. A TIME TO LOVE AND A TIME TO DIE (Douglas Sirk) - Sirk gets personal.

10. HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL! (Jack Arnold) - High School! Drugs! Russ Tamblyn! Mamie Van Doren!! And, most dangerous of all, Jerry Lee Lewis singing the theme song!!!

My apologies to the Horror films mentioned above, plus: GIGI (Vincente Minnelli); MAN OF THE WEST (Anthony Mann), HORROR OF DRACULA (Terence Fisher); LONELYHEARTS (Vincent J. Donehue); VERBOTEN! (Samuel Fuller); SOME CAME RUNNING (Vincente Minnelli); THE COOL AND THE CRAZY (William Witney); & SCREAMING MIMI (Gerd Oswald). They are were contenders.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I STILL haven't seen SCREAMING MIMI. Fredric Brown's novel is much fun. And I don't believe I've even heard of "Colossal Beast." Sequel to the movie about the big guy in his underwear?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Red, I'm not sure how you survived all these years into adulthood, without seeing "Screaming Mimi." But your worries are over. Here is a sneak preview:

You can thank me ( or blame me) for the two and a half minute clip above.
:) _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ :)

KingRat / ChiO...will you be taking the LISTS thread into the 1960's?