Summer Under the Stars: August 2012 Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
charliechaplinfan

Re: Summer Under the Stars: August 2012 Schedule

Post by charliechaplinfan »

knitwit45 wrote:Jacks, I recorded it to watch when I get home (house sitting right now). I have seen this charming movie before, stumbled upon it one day and was hooked from the start. Glynis Johns is wonderful, isn't she? From her fresh-faced youth in Vacation From Marriage, through her lush beauty in The Court Jester, her lusty bartender in The Sundowners right up to her lovely old age in While You Were Sleeping, she is one of those actors I will always watch.

Until I saw VFM, I always thought of Robert Donat as a rather weak, fussy man. This one was an eye-opener. Then to see him with Dietrich in Knight Without Armour....whoa. (I had forgotten his role in The 39 Steps)
Thank you for this movie Nancy, I loved it, I'm a big fan of Deborah Kerr, she's the epitomy of the English rose for me and she never fails to win me over in her movies. I loved her Cathy in this film, I thought the transformation of both stars and how it was shown during the movies completely engrossing. Robert Donat is such a fussy old man at first and Kerr was nearly unrecogniseable as his mouse of a wife. They both go off to war, he in the Navy she in the WRENS and undergo a trip of self discovery, finding things they didn't know about themselves and ultimately dreading meeting their spouses because they have changed so much and don't want to go back to their drab marriages. I get you about Robert Donat playing fusty old men, I thought so too until other movies opened my eyes, I only wish he was more well known because he's invariably excellent in whatever he does.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Didn't you just love finding this unexpected movie Alison? It's really charming, I had no idea where it was going and was mighty surprised at how it turned out. I thought they would find unexpected strength through their war experiences, but I wasn't expecting the vinegar, the little peppery irritation of the two on getting back together. Loved it!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I did love it, I had no idea this movie existed until I saw your comments, I like both actors immensley and his made the most of their talents, I didn't have any idea where it was heading either, it was utterly charming, a real find.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I cannot believe how I'm always a day late and a dollar short. I saw that movie with Kerr and Donat was coming on and I wondered if it was known to folks around here, and thought "you should post about it just in case", but then I thought "Nah" it's been on a few times already. So I just let it go, me and my great ideas (me and Charlie Brown), especially considering how so many of us were enthralled with Brief Encounter. Often we don't think of British movies, and that is a shame because they have made some real gems. I'm really sharp!!!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************