Winged Planet - Hitch got it right!

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
MissGoddess

Winged Planet - Hitch got it right!

Post by MissGoddess »

I just learned of this fascinating BBC documentary being broadcast on the cable network, The Discovery Channel:

Winged Planet
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... nents.html

It's extraordinary how closely the pictures resemble Hitchcock's carefully orchestrated "bird's eye" view shots in The Birds!

The show airs Saturday, October 6th at 8:00p.m. (check local listings to be sure of times and channel).
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Winged Planet - Hitch got it right!

Post by moira finnie »

I have seen portions of this online too. It looks as magnificent as Winged Migration was too. I do think that Hitch owed animal trainer Ray Berwick and special effects master Ub Iwerks (on loan from Disney for the film) much of what was achieved on screen.

According to Berwick, "I don't think (Hitchcock) knew what he was getting into. He quickly had to give up any idea of using mechanical birds if he wanted realism. No book or ornithologist could give us guidance on the control of flocks of wild birds." So apparently the fx and bird wranglers were "winging it."

Being a devout coward, I don't think I would want to see this movie on the big screen...even if I did have to give up seeing Rod Taylor in all his glory and bigger than life.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Moira,we belong to the same church! And I'll bet my pew is further back than yours :shock: :D :roll:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thanxx for posting this Miss G. I watched it tonite. The photography was jaw-dropping. The dog-eat-dog world of survival was heart-wrenching. I often closed my eyes at the inevitable. I have to laugh at myself that the flamingoes score a mate better than my Friday night jaunts.

Cranes, starlings, storks, geese, eagles, vultures, pelicans etc. etd. ornithologically etcetera. It was absolutely fascinating. Oh,

...And MONUMENT VALLEY??? Ahhhh-haaaa!! Even the birds know what John Ford knows about location.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Fantastic ... and I'm going to watch it again!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I forgot to watch. :( :( :( :( :(
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers