BARBARA STANWYCK: December 2012 Star of The Month

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CineMaven

BARBARA STANWYCK: December 2012 Star of The Month

Post by CineMaven »

STANWYCK.

Even her name sounds strong and sturdy.

Stanwyck.

She could handle drama, comedy and westerns with equal aplomb. She could stride across a ranch or a nightclub. She could be soft or flinty. She’s been a reporter, sacrificial mother and a cold-blooded steely killer ( but always with good reason. ) She’s a woman of the West and a burlesque queen. She’s played the good wife and an adulterer. Stanwyck has an arsenal at her disposal: gun, whip or a pair of scissors. Her best weapon of mass destruction is her volcanic anger or her contempt or worse...her tears. She could break your heart, or make you hate her. And I think she'd love if you felt both.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

We talked of actors who could play “blue collar”...... well, add Missy to that group. Stanwyck could be high class or low brow. In our current era of make-overs, Botoxed faces and siliconed body parts...Stanwyck let Nature take its course; her hair prematuring to grey...she let herself be. She has a 30's look, a 40's look and a 50's look. She was a woman of the times. ( And went to tv, too! )

She’s been the envy of many a woman by ( "trading up" ) marrying the dashingly handsome Robert Taylor. She’s been the envy of many an actress in Hollywood by working with some of the era’s great leading men - among them, McCrea, Lancaster, Holden, Ryan, Sanders, Cooper and Gable. It’s a kick to me that she worked with Fonda...and years later, his daughter.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

For me, she has only one rival: BETTE DAVIS. They were aware of each other; even appeared in the same movie, once. Davis was a touch more histrionic while Stanwyck played down-to-earth. And Davis also knew a thing or two about working with the creme de la creme of leading men, actually sharing some of them with Stanwyck - ( Fonda, Cagney, Bogie, Edward G., Flynn, Coburn...and the inimitable George Brent. )

Put her in the good strong capable hands of Lang or Sturges or Mann. She was once Capra’s muse. Throw in Wilder or Wellman for good measure. She gives a director what he wants and needs.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

BROOKLYN GIRL MAKES GOOD! ( Yay...Brooklyn! ) From orphan to chorine to stamping scripts with her persona. She lived life in between those stages with triumphs and heartache. And most importantly, she is (one of ) our Mongo’s favorite actresses. ( Look through his CANDIDS thread for pix of her and he picked her film as fan guest programmer on TCM's 15th anniversary. In fact, two of Stanwyck's films were chosen during that guest programmer event. ) TCM ends its year making Barbara Stanwyck its last STAR OF THE MONTH.

ImageImage

I have my many favorites including “The Strange Love of Martha Ivers” “My Reputation” “Double Indemnity” “Walk On the Wild Side.” The war raging in my head and heart between Bette and Barbara will be quieted temporarily since TCM offers us a smorgasbord of Stanwyck in one fell swoop. I hope to be grown up enough to check out the movies I haven’t seen or don’t want to see. Maybe you'll want to share a performance or two of hers you enjoy, during this month-long tribute. Stanwyck is a many faceted actress which you’ll see if you decide to explore or revisit her performances. It's what makes her one of the bonafide legends of classic film.

TCM starts you off with these Stanwyck films today...into tomorrow:

8:00 PM LADIES OF LEISURE (1930)
A wealthy artist faces family pressure when he falls for a model with a past. Dir: Frank Capra.

9:45 PM THIS IS MY AFFAIR (1937)
A saloon singer tries to reform a gangster, not knowing he's really an undercover detective. Dir: William A. Seiter.

11:45 PM THE OTHER LOVE (1947)
A concert pianist dying of tuberculosis fall for her doctor. Dir: Andre DeToth.

1:30 AM A MESSAGE TO GARCIA (1936)
A fiery Cuban woman guides an emissary from the U.S. president through the jungles of war-torn Cuba. Dir: George Marshall.

3:00 AM STELLA DALLAS (1937)
After divorcing a society man, a small-town woman tries to build a better life for their daughter. Dir: King Vidor.

5:00 AM THE MIRACLE WOMAN (1931)
A phony faith healer fights the temptation to go straight when she falls for a blind man. Dir: Frank Capra.

6:45 AM SO BIG (1932)
A farmer's widow takes on the land and her late husband's tempestuous son. Dir: William A. Wellman.

8:15 AM THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN (1932)
An American missionary falls in love with a Chinese warlord. Dir: Frank R. Capra.

9:45 AM BABY FACE (1933)
A beautiful schemer sleeps her way to the top of a banking empire. Dir: Alfred E. Green.

11:15 AM GOLDEN BOY (1939)
A crooked promoter lures a young violinist to give up music for boxing. Dir: Rouben Mamoulian.

1:00 PM MEET JOHN DOE (1941)
A reporter's fraudulent story turns a tramp into a national hero and makes him a pawn of big business. Dir: Frank Capra.

3:15 PM EXECUTIVE SUITE (1954)
When a business magnate dies, his board of directors fights over who should run the company. Dir: Robert Wise.

5:00 PM WALK ON THE WILD SIDE (1962) 
A penniless farmer tracks the woman he loves to a New Orleans brothel. Dir: Edward Dmytryk.

7:00 PM BARBARA STANWYCK: FIRE AND DESIRE (1991)
Barbara Stanwyck's multi-faceted career reveals uncanny reflections of her off-screen life. Dir: Richard Schickel.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
mongoII

Re: BARBARA STANWYCK: December 2012 Star of The Month

Post by mongoII »

Theresa, You are right on target concerning this lady of the silver screen. She was one of a kind and I miss her. You can be sure I'll be watching many of her films this month on TCM, of which there is a treasure trove to choose from. Good stuff indeed!
Joseph Goodheart
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Beautiful maven, just beautiful!

I'll be watching for sure every one of her movies this month. I'm excited to see the midrange movies I've never seen before, This is My Affair, The Other Love and Message to Garcia. I've also never seen The Miracle Woman. Favorites from the lineup this week are Stella Dallas (gulp), Executive Story (watch her walk in 2/3rds of the way through the movie and blow it wide open), Baby Face and Meet John Doe (my personal fave of the later Capra films).
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Love the top photo. Lord in Heaven, she looks like a teenager! TCM recently tweeted "Who is your favorite femme fatale?" Do they even have to ask? The movie FEMME FATALE opens with the main character watching DOUBLE INDEMNITY on TV. (Sadly, it's straight downhill from there!)

I have actually seen one of the SO BIG movies, but not Stanwyck's version. And I'm probably forgetting something obvious, Teresita, but what did she do with Jane Fonda? EXECUTIVE SUITE is the ultimate soap opera. BALL OF FIRE the romantic comedy to reckon with. The wonderful MEET JOHN DOE is every bit the holiday classic as that OTHER Capra fable. There was a time when TV ran such good old movies during this season. You could always catch the Capra films, any number of CHRISTMAS CAROLS, CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT, also featuring this priceless performer.

Yet it took a TV western to make me familiar with her. I was about ten years old, not yet well versed in classic cinema. I asked my parents why she was credited as MISS Barbara Stanwyck. "Well, she's had a distinguished and honorable career in movies." Has she ever!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I asked my parents why she was credited as MISS Barbara Stanwyck.
Because she's a classy classy lady.

I only got to see the very end of The Miracle Woman this morning, but I was really struck by how similar it was to Elmer Gantry.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I was in and out of "SO BIG." What struck me...what tripped me out was that I knew the future. As I watched Stanwyck & Bette Davis, I knew the future...the future of their lives, the future of their careers. They had one scene together. They didn't have any lines with each other though. Stanwyck playing the Mom, didn't truly seem old enough ( in her old age make-up ) to play old. And she seemed like she was acting like Mary Pickford/Lillian Gish - that silent movie / early talkie style. Then when Bette Davis came on the scene she was so modern and vibrant. Yes, these two women were different. The time had changed in the story; it was no longer the horse and buggy era, but the modern 1932. I thought they would speak to each other but they didn't. But they were in close enough proximity. Seeing Anne Shirley play Stanwyck as a girl was really trippy. They did "Stella Dallas" together. And then seeing George Brent play a scene with both Stanwyck & Davis, really sent me over the serendipitous edge. "My Reputation" "Dark Victory" "Jezebel" "The Gay Sisters." Yes yes the logical rivalry is Bette Davis and Joan Crawford - and Bette and Barbara do cross paths. But I'd have given anything to have Stanwyck and Davis cross swords.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree, that would have been a grudge match made in heaven! I wonder if they mightn't have gotten along, it seems like they might have, MAYBE.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Great post Theresa, so many pictures honouring the beautiful and talented lady. I'm looking forward to following this thread.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
PinkPeril

Post by PinkPeril »

I hope the articles were good. Post office lost my issue of TCM Now Playing magazine, they seem to have misplaced the replacement copy TCM sent as well. If you had to ask me who my favorite actress overall was, it's Stanwyck. She seemed like a top notch lady on screen or off.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Yesterday had the heart of the line-up of Stanwyck’s comedic career. TCM showed some gems, including “Remember the Night” “The Lady Eve” “Ball of Fire” and “Lady of Burlesque.” She worked with some of the legendary big guys...Hawks, Wellman and Sturges. Today continues the Stanwyck tribute with some lighter fare as TCM shows off 1930’s Stanwyck. There are a couple of character actors in these films whose names appears on some of your lists. I say Stanwyck can handle it all...even if some of the boys in her films want to clip her wings by trying to make her "domesticated." :roll:

ImageImageImage

8:30 AM THE BRIDE WALKS OUT (1936)

A model weds a struggling engineer then has her own struggles with domesticity. Dir: Leigh Jason Cast:  Barbara Stanwyck, Gene Raymond, Robert Young, Ned Sparks, Helen Broderick, Billy Gilbert.

10:00 AM BREAKFAST FOR TWO (1937)

A Texas heiress competes with a gold digger for the love of a playboy. Dir: Alfred Santell Cast:  Barbara Stanwyck, Herbert Marshall, Glenda Farrell.

11:15 AM THE MAD MISS MANTON (1938)

A daffy socialite gets her friends mixed up in a murder investigation. Dir: Leigh Jason Cast:  Barbara Stanwyck, Henry Fonda, Sam Levene.

12:45 PM THE WOMAN IN RED (1935)

A professional horsewoman fights prejudice when she marries into society. Dir: Robert Florey Cast:  Barbara Stanwyck, Gene Raymond, Genevieve Tobin.

2:00 PM THE SECRET BRIDE (1935)

A district attorney secretly marries the daughter of a man he's trying to convict. Dir: William Dieterle Cast:  Barbara Stanwyck, Warren William Glenda Farrell.

3:15 PM EVER IN MY HEART(1933)

During World War I, a woman suspects her husband of being a German spy. Dir: Archie Mayo Cast:  Barbara Stanwyck, Otto Kruger, Ralph Bellamy.

4:30 PM SHOPWORN (1932)

A waitress falls for a wealthy young man but has to fight his mother to find happiness. Dir: Nicholas Grinde Cast:  Barbara Stanwyck, Regis Toomey, ZaSu Pitts.

5:45 PM ILLICIT (1931)

Young free-thinkers turn conventionally jealous when they marry. Dir: Archie Mayo Cast:  Barbara Stanwyck, James Rennie, Charles Butterworth.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks for going through the lineup, Maven, with our favorite character actors in mind...

Breakfast for Two is a lovely film, if you get a chance between Meg Ramsey scenes, give it a try. The rest this morning and afternoon are almost all new to me, so I'm really looking forward to today's lineup. It will probably turn out that I've seen some of them and just didn't recognize the titles, but that's OK. Oh yes, I've seen The Mad Miss Manton and Illicit, both great films also.

How great did Babs and Clark Gable look together this morning? I loved that scene in the nightclub/restaurant, with the two in big juicy closeup. sigh. Perfection.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

ImageImageImage

Now we’re talkin’. Now we’re getting into it. Now we’re getting down to brass tacks. The heart of darkness. Noir, scheming, betraying, murder. Well what’s a girl to do? Sometimes it’s the only way out. Stanwyck’s shining in the dark this evening. Or is that the gleam from a gun? Guns where the belong...up on the silver screen..in classic films.

“DOUBLE INDEMNITY” - I’ll never get used to that godawful wig. But her Phyllis Dietrichson entraps basic good guy MacMurray in a way that’s delicious to watch. The Code demands heads, but not before emotional mayhem ensues. I love Eddie G. in this. He’s the heart and soul, that Phyllis and Walter have lost.

“THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS” - One of my absolute favorites, I love how the story unfolds and it covers you like a dark heavy blanket. I’m at peace with Van Heflin, one of the few guys I now think can, frankly, handle Stanwyck. Pouty husky-voiced victimized noir siren, Lizabeth Scott is also featured. ( I wish TCM would reach out to have her appear at their next film fest. ) And though he is oft times derided, I think Kirk hits it out of the park in his first film, standing toe-to-toe with Stanwyck. But it’s her picture all the way. I love her look, elegant, kind of hard but not brittle. She’s trapped by circumstances and must live with the heavy weight of lies.

“SORRY, WRONG NUMBER” - What’s it like not to be able to get out of your own way. Stanwyck does it here and pays the price. I always want her to have the upperhand. Lancaster’s in it, castrated, by her and her rich Daddy. ( Ann Richards appears too. ) Stanwyck as victim; painful to watch. Get outta that bed!

“CLASH BY NIGHT” - I’ve got to sit with this and watch with full attention, especially now that “The Maggie” has opened my eyes to Paul Douglas. I don’t know the movie well. She’s moved into her 1950’s phase, still trying to live life on her characters’ terms. In “Clash...” she marries a man she’s no good for and lusts after a man who’s no good for her. You know, your typical human conundrum.

There’s a spate of Stanwycks-in-distress films also, including: “JEOPARDY” “WITNESS TO MURDER” “THE TWO MRS. CARROLL” and “CRY WOLF.” She’s up against it with Bogie, Errol and ‘the dear boy’ in a this dark old house motif.

“CRIME OF PASSION” - I always thought this was an interesting feminist picture. Alright alright, get back here. Don’t run away. Don’t let that word scare you. What I mean is that this is an object lesson in what can go wrong when a woman is not able to follow her own ambition. When Stanwyck is not allowed to be all that she can be, she has to resort to her real job...getting a husband. So she marries the big blonde hunky very unambitious Johnny Guitar. But love is not enough. She can’t hang out with the husbands after dinner for cards and politics. She’s got to go into the kitchen with the wives. Her ambition has no where to go. She must project her drive onto husband Sterling Hayden. You got it...a wonderfully twisted recipe for disaster.

“THE GAY SISTER” - I like this movie. She looks great, ultimate 40’s, she’s the patriarchal matriarch of her two sisters and they’re fighting for their inheritance. She’s stubborn and driven and paired againwith her great cohort, George Brent. Starting with 1932’s “SO BIG” you ought to watch them in their last film together - “MY REPUTATION” for a different kind of Stanwyck... repressed. Brent & Stanwyck have great rapport.

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Re: "Clash By Night." In addition to Paul Douglas you have a young Marilyn Monroe that is playing a normal type young lady. Not a big part but she's not flashy or sexy. She's not Marilyn here and that is why I like her here.

It's kind of an odd movie. Robert Ryan helps make it that way.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Ooh. That chemistry between "Missy" and Robert Ryan sizzles. And Monroe is indeed acting in this film, but not like her over-the-top performances from her more glamorous vehicles.

Paul Douglas makes this seedy little drama more than a peek into all the double-wides.

And Van Heflin does handle Miss Barbara in The Strange Love of Martha Ivers. She needs more exposure at the TCMFFs. And so does Van Heflin. The more I experience, I realize how wonderful Heflin truly was. His turn in The Three Musketeers gave that film an edge that the MGM film would have never had without his angst as Athos.

But I digress.

My favorite photo of Miss Barbara Stanwyck...
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

She almost looks different. That is the best picture I can recall seeing.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."