Me-TV

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
ChiO

Re: Me-TV

Post by ChiO »

For me, Bruce Dern will always be a Loser (Joe "Loser" Kearns, THE WILD ANGELS (Roger Corman 1966))
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Anyone see Dern in The Great Gatsby? (1974) :shock:
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Masha, I thought maybe I was the only one to have seen Silent Running. It's ridiculous but I always cry for Dern and little Huey, Dewey and Louie. They are so real to me, with feelings and expression. I think that these were the prototypes for Star Wars R2 D2 type droids.

MissG, Dern is despicable in the 74 Gatsby! Ugh, his version of Tom is sooo repellent, of course the character is so, but Dern brought more to it than I ever thought possible. :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! David Wayne just never fails us. I can see him perfectly as Pam's drunken roustabout father, though I don't know if I ever saw him on the show. His presence makes me want to.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Not the standard TV dad, Wayne was also Ellery Queen's father. The irascible Inspector Queen to Jim Hutton's Ellery!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Bruce Dern is sad and touching in COMING HOME. He's not the hero, but he's not a bad guy. He just doesn't understand. He's lost. I feel bad for the character, but I can't dislike him.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

"Dallas", my Mom's all time favorite TV show. As we had only one TV in the house when I was little, there was NO TOUCHING THE DIAL when "Dallas" came on, no matter who or what else was on that night.

I'm slowly sending her the seasons on DVD as I find them on sale.
:D
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Tarantula - 1955 Film

I watch this movie last night on ME-TV and its a classic Sci-Fi Movie starring Leo G. Carroll, John Agar, and Maria Corday too. It's very suspenseful, creepy, and downright a science fiction classic that will stands for the test of time. I haven't seen this movie for a while and I enjoyed watching it last night. It's a winner in my book and its wonderfully directed by Jack Arnold. The Special Effects in the Background is quite impressive and the ending of this movie is anti-climate too. I'm a big science fiction fan and watching these movies that made in the 50's brought back great memories of my youth seeing these movies that usually shows on a Saturday Afternoon on any of the local channels that I have.

And a short cameo of Clint Eastwood as a Fighter Pilot ... that's was cool too.

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

:D
What decade would your TV be stuck on if you could only pick one?

-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks for posting this Miss Goddess! :)

P.S. I love your Avatar too.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you, and likewise!
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

MissG - that is such a hard question! I think I'd like to go back to the days when they had anthology shows on more often, as I really prefer plays and short story type shows, like Playhouse 90 or Twilight Zone or Four Star Playhouse. But I'm not really sure what decade the prime anthology shows were in? And then I think I'd like to go to the late 40's and early 50's because there are so many shows we hear about but can never see - Milton Berle, Life of Riley, etc., plus there was Burns and Allen and Jack Benny.

I'd also dearly love to go back and see shows I barely remember from my childhood - the Garry Moore show (I can still remember Carol Burnett doing a skit about being in the park with a baby carriage that made me laugh out loud as a really tiny tot), or go back in time to catch shows that didn't make it through their first season, like Frank's Place (yeah I'm still burned about that) or When Things Were Rotten.

Or I'd like to go back and watch some of the artistic stuff that was considered very high brow, or watch Peter Pan live, or watch events that the producers thought were of value to people, back when at least some TV people cared (like Harvest of Shame). Or just go back and watch Kukla Fran and Ollie, which I never really got to see except on CBS Chldren's Film Festival.... which I'd also like to go back to see. :D

Then there's the great shows, like Barney Miller and Hill Street Blues and The Forsyte Saga and Carol Burnett and The Smothers Brothers and Make Room for Daddy and the Dick Va Dyke show....

I really can't make up my mind. :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The anthology shows pretty much ran from the mid 50's through the early 60's.

I've seen a couple of The Smothers Brothers show recently (on DVD) and some of the stuff is really funny but a good deal of it is so topical to that time that if you don't know much about it a lot of the humor will be lost. When Tom and Dick are together they are fun but some of the sketches are a little flat. The musical guest stars are often draped in those over done 60's effects.

I've been listening to "Life of Riley" as a radio show and I'm not quite won over by it but give me Jack Benny anytime. I've seen some of the full Carol Burnett episodes on DVD and some of those don't hold up as well as I remember. Big musical production numbers and some of the musical guests have lost some of their steam.

Every era has its winners though.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."