WHAT DID YOU HAVE FOR DINNER TODAY?

Chit-chat, current events
Dargo

Re: WHAT YOU HAVE FOR DINNER TODAY!

Post by Dargo »

Thompson wrote: March 17th, 2023, 4:06 pm In the middle of Lent on a Friday no less, I'm going with a half dozen raw oysters to start. A cup of seafood gumbo next. I like to save the salad for after. Then barbecued jumbo shrimp and crisp French bread with butter.

Dargo, ol buddy, ever had a post deleted? I ask the same question to Millstone, Lafflte, and all my 'friends' here. Seems I've had more than one deleted overniight. Who deleted them, and particularly why? A couple of my posts had Likes attached but when clicking to find out the Liked post, it's been deleted. Will this post be deleted too?
Hi Thompson!

Wait, yesterday was St. Paddy's Day, was it not?! And so, and as delicious as what you ate yesterday sounded, I gotta ask why didn't you have corned beef and cabbage instead, and like my wife fixed for us? She used that Instant Pot contraption she purchased a while back and which is basically a modern take on those old pressure cookers like your mom (at least mine did anyway) used to cook with back in the day. Mmm, mmm, mmm, that Instant Pot made that corned beef soooo tender. My wife also baked some Irish soda bread with currants in it too.

So what gives here, ol' buddy??? ;)

And re having any of my posts around here being deleted, nope, well at least not around here YET, anyway.

The last post of my mine that was deleted was a couple of months ago in an Indian Motorcycle website. Some guy had started a thread there about how he felt some bit of pending legislation which entailed the public of automatically being enrolled as an organ donor when they apply for a driver's license BUT (and here's the key part) which STILL allowed you to opt out of it if you wanted to and for any reason (and as it's presently done in Canada and the U.K. and a number of other countries, btw) was somehow being "un-American" and was "another effort at taking his freedoms away from him". Well, I disagreed with him about that, and yep, after he replied back to me by use of a couple of conspiracy theories, well, lets just say my second reply to him could've been stated much more diplomatically than how I did it and it kind'a got a little heated after that. I could definitely understand why the moderator on that website deleted my post, as I called him a few "choice names" in that second one.

(...well anyway, hope your dinner tonight is as tasty as what you had yesterday...I'll be having the leftover corned beef...mmm, mmm, mmm)
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Irish soda bread, lucky you Dargo. i:m sitting on the sofa yesterday watching tv, and these commercials and ads come up for St Patty's Day. I don't put two and two together, the smell of cabbage and the smell of corned beef is prevalent outside and yet I still didn' make the connection. That's what concerns me is this failure to connect.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Dargo! I became curious because of your post.
Corned Beef and Cabbage are not traditional in Ireland.
That being my first curiosity.
Second was the Instant Pot.
The company has a lot of products now.
I will say I’ve only had Shepherd’s Pie once.
It was a genuine Irish restaurant and I did have to wait a while for it.
Was worth waiting for.
I can claim getting a recipe for Guinness Stew is worth the effort.
Anyway, I also had Corned Beef and Cabbage, and leftovers last night.
I am not the cook. That would be Mama. She used a tall steaming pot.
Way back in my Grandmother’s day, the old pressure cooker could be dangerous.
On St. Patrick’s Day, I traditionally enjoyed a Guinness.
I’m still trying to find the light bulb in the freezer that quit working.
Finding the replacement bulb was easy but I don’t know where it goes.
Those are my kitchen qualifications.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

jimimac71 wrote: March 19th, 2023, 5:14 pm Corned Beef and Cabbage are not traditional in Ireland.
Yep. My Irish-born father long ago told me that he didn't discover that corned beef and cabbage was considered a traditional Irish dish until after he immigrated to the United States and was living in New York City. But as long as stores put those briskets on sale every March, I will gladly pick one up.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Chicken.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: March 19th, 2023, 5:14 pm Dargo! I became curious because of your post.
Corned Beef and Cabbage are not traditional in Ireland.
That being my first curiosity.
Second was the Instant Pot.
The company has a lot of products now.
I will say I’ve only had Shepherd’s Pie once.
It was a genuine Irish restaurant and I did have to wait a while for it.
Was worth waiting for.
I can claim getting a recipe for Guinness Stew is worth the effort.
Anyway, I also had Corned Beef and Cabbage, and leftovers last night.
I am not the cook. That would be Mama. She used a tall steaming pot.
Way back in my Grandmother’s day, the old pressure cooker could be dangerous.
On St. Patrick’s Day, I traditionally enjoyed a Guinness.
I’m still trying to find the light bulb in the freezer that quit working.
Finding the replacement bulb was easy but I don’t know where it goes.
Those are my kitchen qualifications.
Hi jimimac. The following article in the Smithsonian Magazine dated March of 2013 (about a 5 minute read), seems to be pretty accurate in detailing the history of how corned beef and cabbage has become so much associated with the Irish and of St. Patrick's Day within the U.S.:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cul ... h-2839144/

And in regard to the Instant Pot item, and yes while I do recall the thought in my youth of the old pressure cookers being potentially explosive back in the day, supposedly these newer kinds of them such as the aforementioned Instant Pot models are far more safe while in operation. They're pull-in electric with a computer that monitors its operation, and unlike the old pressure cookers that would be heated on top a stove or range.

(...and I'll also add here that my wife's homemade soups in particular are even better tasting since she purchased hers)
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

laffite wrote: March 19th, 2023, 9:37 pmChicken.
What, a whole chicken? A live chicken or a fried chicken? A roasted chicken or a strangled chicken? How you make them livers and gizzards? Fry em in olive oil or bacon grease? Or butter? And what about the skin? Leave it on or take it off? And the bones? Do you eat the little bones, the ones you can chew? Can you buy a capon at the grocery store?
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

What is a capon? It's a castrated rooster that makes for good eating.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

There was a cool restaurant in the Irish Channel called The Enraged Chicken. They did thiis weekly community seating dinner of the capon. Capons are big, ten pounds or so. They are castrated young then fed a diet of this and that to plump them up. The capon would be served at the community table and we would share it.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Thanks Dargo for the article. It was read to me out loud by the reader feature in Firefox's desktop browser. Ear-sight is better than my eye-sight. We had mashed sweet potatoes cooked in a ring and in the oven on St. Paddy's Day.
I'm curious again Dargo. Does Mrs. D. use her Instant Pot to make yogurt?
Something I've never had but learned of is Bubble and Squeak.
Before Judi Dench was in "As Time Goes By," she was in a British sitcom with her husband called "A Fine Romance."
She made Bubble and Squeak.
Here is Guy Fieri in Oakland, California:
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Late to this conversation, but I'm on a flight from London to New York at the moment and haven't logged on that much. Apologies if I repeat anything that has already been said. And thanks to BA for the WiFi.

The reason Corned Beef and Cabbage has become traditional is that when the Irish came to New York City, they lived near, or in, Jewish neighborhoods where corned beef was plentiful and cheap. Cabbage and potatoes were certainly Irish, but the corned beef was a Jewish staple which the Irish adopted, particularly for St. Patrick's Day. (I learned this from Produce Pete!)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: March 20th, 2023, 1:29 pm Thanks Dargo for the article. It was read to me out loud by the reader feature in Firefox's desktop browser. Ear-sight is better than my eye-sight. We had mashed sweet potatoes cooked in a ring and in the oven on St. Paddy's Day.
I'm curious again Dargo. Does Mrs. D. use her Instant Pot to make yogurt?
Something I've never had but learned of is Bubble and Squeak.
Before Judi Dench was in "As Time Goes By," she was in a British sitcom with her husband called "A Fine Romance."
She made Bubble and Squeak.
Here is Guy Fieri in Oakland, California:
While I have heard of "Bubble and Squeak", I can't say I've ever had it, jimimac. However, that Guy Fieri video of what was called the Southern version of it sure looks mighty tasty and would love to try it someday.

And re the Mrs. making yogurt with her Instant Pot, nope she never has. And even though she does often have yogurt for breakfast, after asking her this question just now, she said she'd just prefer to purchase it from the supermarket than make it herself.

(...and she usually gets the Greek version)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: March 20th, 2023, 5:53 pm Late to this conversation, but I'm on a flight from London to New York at the moment and haven't logged on that much. Apologies if I repeat anything that has already been said. And thanks to BA for the WiFi.

The reason Corned Beef and Cabbage has become traditional is that when the Irish came to New York City, they lived near, or in, Jewish neighborhoods where corned beef was plentiful and cheap. Cabbage and potatoes were certainly Irish, but the corned beef was a Jewish staple which the Irish adopted, particularly for St. Patrick's Day. (I learned this from Produce Pete!)
I'd say this "Jewish-Irish/NYC" connection you've relayed here Swithin, might also help explain another facet to this whole thing. In fact, (and the following has been later edited by me here) this aspect to the story was touched upon a bit within that Smithsonian Magazine article I posted earlier here.

(...btw...while you're flying back to NYC on BA, I would suppose that you, and as compared to an experience I had many years ago while flying from LHR to JFK on board a British flagship airliner) would not have any problem at all understanding a flight attendant coming up to you and asking, "Would you cah for sum tay?", right?!) ;)
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

The reason Corned Beef and Cabbage are traditional for me this time of year is that the beef is over 50% off.

E.g. $1.99 lb. verses over $4 lb. other times of the year.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Trader Joe had these cute little cabbages a few months ago. You just pop them into the microwave with the wrap intact, and they're perfect in a few minutes. The season was short, though.