WHAT DID YOU HAVE FOR DINNER TODAY?

Chit-chat, current events
Thompson

Re: WHAT DID YOU HAVE FOR DINNER TODAY?

Post by Thompson »

What is empanada? Did you leave the skin on with your mashed taters? A croissant is interesting. Did you go to a bakery to get one? Was it a frozen croissant? Do you ever use a microwave? Is this the end of the world? How much time do you think we have left? You can cook though, huh?

I will tell you right now there is NOTHING worse than a gnat that keeps circling your ear. He circles it forever and ever. You never can kill him.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I’m taking the bus downtown to IHOP, you can’t stop me. I know what I’m getting, I’m on a mission.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I had a piece of white bread, I was going to toast it but it’s that Wonder bread style so you just slap a pat of butter on it cold and it works. To go with my piece of white bread I opened with a can opener a can of Swanson’s mixed chicken. Most of the time when you buy canned chicken you buy white meat, but mixed meat is better, remember that next time at the grocery. Also, I’ve stressed this before, always buy your can of chili with beans. Beans are a good source of fiber and they tend to eliminate trapped gas.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

My friend Charlie Willeford came over after supper and we talked a bit. He wanted to know if I ever ate cat. He said I looked like somebody who would eat cat. I said I can’t remember eating a cat, but I might have. I know I didn’t skin it or anything, bleed it out, I would have remembered that I think. I could have eaten cat raw, but that’s unlikely. Maybe in the fried rice, a side of cat fried rice.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

No, it was an $8.50 entree, cat fried rice. Yeah, I remember now. It was tasty as all get out.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I'm a fan of breakfast for dinner.

Making a Denver omelet with a side of hash browns this evening, washed down with Natalie's fresh-squeezed Florida orange juice.

I also sometimes enjoy just a bowl of cereal, usually Grape-Nuts and skim milk, topped with sliced bananas, strawberries or blueberries. The crunch is so satisfying....
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Thompson wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 3:49 am No, it was an $8.50 entree, cat fried rice. Yeah, I remember now. It was tasty as all get out.
I assume this was catfish fried rice, if not, well, I don't wish to know!
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 2:59 pm I'm a fan of breakfast for dinner.
Well last night I barely got to my position running "Box Office" before the customers started coming in. We hold our movie night in a restaurant. A restaurant that serves zero food I can eat, except maybe a side salad.

Instead, once the doors were closed from the wait staff, the President of the group started with his intro.

I ate 5.3 oz of plain yogurt with a handful of strawberries/blueberries for dinner. While everyone else had popcorn (that we provide) I had a measured 8 oz of organic rice/black bean chips.

I buy $100+ worth of crappy Halloween style mini candy bars every couple of weeks to pass out free and you should see how patrons grab handfuls greedily as if 10 years old. I otoh, have one small Belgian chocolate.

I used to sit in the front row and purposely chew with my mouth open during the formal, spoken intro as a heckling - and he never once lost his cool!
Last night we screened Sally, Irene & Mary. The audience LOVED it. Yawn.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 4:17 pm
Thompson wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 3:49 am No, it was an $8.50 entree, cat fried rice. Yeah, I remember now. It was tasty as all get out.
I assume this was catfish fried rice, if not, well, I don't wish to know!
Got that right!
norfious

Post by norfious »

Over the weekend I had purchased a nice loaf of bread from a bakery, and usually when I do so I make a pot of soup to go with it. However, it's been much too hot for soup, so instead I made a strange sort of ratatouille and ate it on slices of the bread. The dish consisted of sliced zucchini, shredded cooked chicken, diced tomatoes, corn, spinach, and other assorted (frozen) vegetables layered in a large casserole dish with pasta sauce and cheese between the layers like a lasagna. Then I just threw it in the oven until the zucchini slices were soft and the cheese was melty.

In the past, I have made a variation of this recipe using tortillas to separate the layers and enchilada sauce instead of pasta sauce. This week's variation was an experiment, but it turned out to be quite delicious and was perfect on the bread. I will definitely make it again, especially since it was quite fast and it is a recipe that I can easily make with things on hand. The pasta sauce was from a jar, and most of the veggies, except the zucchini, were frozen.
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Nellie LaRoy wrote: May 21st, 2023, 2:08 am Empanada and mashed potatoes. Oh and a croissant.
I read a comic called "Baldo," and they talk about empanadas frequently.
It looks like making the dough is a challenge.
I found recipes from Pillsbury for empanadas using pie crusts.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Stumbled into a joint off Magazine Street and they were playing The Doors on the sound system, and it was called Garage Pizza, and the waitress came over and bent over and I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. So I ordered the Garage Pizza Special with everything on it and two Bottles of Budweiser.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Jim Morrison kept on singing. The pizza was first rate. Ordered a couple more Budweisers. Sat by the window and looked out onto the street. I thought, you know, sometimes I have it made, like now, I am getting way better than what I deserve, and by golly, there is no reason to gripe and complain . Heck, there are two more pieces left, with everything on them, and I’m getting a second wind, and the waitress walks over and bends over (again) I’ve gone straight to heaven twice in one night.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Small things amuse small minds, I guess.

Speaking of Magazine St.....last time I was in town went to my favorite restaurant in the Quarter, Old Nawlins Cookery which was in a former bordello on Conte Street & couldn't find it. I can't believe they went out of business....do you know if they ever reopened after Katrina?

Since Katrina, the Quarter struck me as Disney-fied similarly to Times Square. Bah!