Ford at Fox

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Lzcutter
Administrator

Ford at Fox

Post by Lzcutter »

The rumors I've heard (and have been sharing here) are true. 20th Century Fox is producing a boxed set of John Ford films in time for the holidays. While we don't know yet the titles that will be included, there is a new documentary on Ford's career at Fox in the works that will be included as well as other bonus material.

Read about it here:

http://davekehr.com/?p=195

Ford at Fox: 21 Disc Collection for December
Friday June 15th 2007, 3:47 pm
Filed under: movies

Rumors that 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment was planning a John Ford set have been rumbling through the community for months. I've just received confirmation from a Fox publicist that the rumors are not only true, but the project sounds bigger and better than I'd dared to hope.

Now set for release for December, 2007, the collection, to be titled "Ford
at Fox," will consists of 25 features that Ford made for Fox, including five
silents, 18 of which will be new to DVD.

The box will list for $299.98 and also contain a new documentary on Ford by Nick Redman, a book of photographs featuring an essay by Joseph McBride and a reproduction of the program book for "The Iron Horse."

The specific titles haven't yet been released, but I'll get them up here as
soon as I have them.

Although the Fox promotional material says that the collection will include
all of Ford's extant Fox productions, this can't be the case if only five
silent films are included. The surviving silent Fox-Fords are, to the best
of my knowledge, "Just Pals" (1920), "Action" (1921), "Cameo Kirby" (1923), 40 minutes of "North of Hudson Bay" (1923), "The Iron Horse" (1924),"Lightnin'" (1925), "Kentucky Pride" (1925), "The Shamrock Handicap" (1926),
"3 Bad Men" (1926), most of "The Blue Eagle" (1926), three reels of "Mother
Machree" (1928), "Four Sons" (1928), "Hangman's House" (1928), and "Riley the Cop" (1928). Perhaps some of the Ford scholars who occasionally pass this way (that's you, Scott Eyman) will know better.

But I'm hardly in a mood to complain if this means, at the very least,
getting "3 Bad Men," "Four Sons," "Men without Women, "The Seas Beneath" and "Pilgrimage" back in circulation, there to claim their rightful places among the masterworks of Ford's career.

Fox deserves the gratitude and, more to the point, the financial support of
every cinephile for taking a chance on such artistically important but
little known material. Who knows? If this one works, we might someday see "Murnau at Fox," "Walsh at Fox," "Dwan at Fox," "Hawks at Fox," and - whoknows? - even the Holy Grail, "Borzage at Fox."
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Izcutter,

:D Well all I can say is maybe Glenn Beck is right and this is indeed "The End Of Days"?! I thought that was what it would take for Fox to get the John Ford Silent's out on DVD! But I am thrilled, if THREE BAD MEN and FOUR SONS are finally both coming to DVD by the end of the this year! Sure hope we are all still here to see it?

:o THE IRON HORSE has been released in Pal format, but it's seems inconceivable that it would not be included as well? That only leaves two more Silent's left in the set? What will they be? Hopefully, something that I have not already seen before?

:? I have HANGMAN'S HOUSE, and the film was released in 1926, not 1928. At least that is what I have believed for quite some time? If they chose this picture for the set, I hope that it will contain a full Orchestral score?

:roll: Good heavens, A Three Hundred Dollar price tag? I would hope that you don't need to buy the entire set at once, to have these great films? Who could afford this amount? Maybe they will market it in smaller set's of 4 or 5 disc's at a time? I sure hope so! :shock:
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Gagman,

I share with you the thought of End of Days and the coming Ford set. I, too, never thought it would happen but can say with much more certainity, it will happen and on schedule.

Other news on this front: Christopher Caliendo, who did the much improved score for the Major Dundee restoration, is said to be working on new scores for the silent films that will be part of this set.

Also, it looks like there will be subsets of all 21 films offered. However, if you break it down per cost of film, it averages out to less than 15.00 a film.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Izcutter,

:? Sad to say that I have never heard of MAJOR DUNDEE before? Or if I did, I have forgotten about it? Care to enlighten me on this one?

:) Caliendo produced a brilliant score for the Norma Shearer Silent A LADY OF CHANCE (1928), so He appears to be a real talent! That being said, I definitely do not want to see vintage Movie-tone scores replaced! They had better be included as an audio option! Especially, on FOUR SONS! Mother Bernle's theme simply has to be retained! It's of great importance to the movie!

THE IRON HORSE meantime had a brilliant score composed by John Lanchbery for the Photo-play Productions version! So I see no reason whatsoever for a change there! :roll:
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

"Four sons" is an excellent movie. So what if some critics say it is too indebted to Murnau, this shows a different aspect of WWI.

And I have always liked "Three Bad Men," (which has nothing to do with "Three godfathers," by the way.)
CoffeeDan

Post by CoffeeDan »

HALLELUJAH!!! I've been hearing about this project for months, but had doubts about whether Fox would finish it in time for the Christmas season. This is very good news indeed!

There's an additional comment on Dave Kehr's site saying that there will probably be substantial discounts on this set and several "subsets" released. So it looks that this will be within reach of everybody, and not much "double dipping" will be necessary.

I saw most of the Ford silents mentioned during AMC's Film Preservation Festival about eight years ago, when I had the ol' VCR running practically night and day. Based on historic and entertainment value, I'm guessing that the five silents in the set will be CAMEO KIRBY (early glimpses of John Gilbert and Jean Arthur), THE IRON HORSE (George O'Brien and a cast of thousands), 3 BAD MEN, FOUR SONS (recently restored), and HANGMAN'S HOUSE (early glimpses of John Wayne and, I believe, Ward Bond). If I had my druthers, I'd throw in THE SHAMROCK HANDICAP and LIGHTNIN', too, but the first five will be enough for now, thanks!
Last edited by CoffeeDan on June 18th, 2007, 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Sad to say that I have never heard of MAJOR DUNDEE before? Or if I did, I have forgotten about it? Care to enlighten me on this one?
Gagman,

Major Dundee was Sam Peckinpah's second film. It starred Charlton Heston and was a troubled production from the first day.

Peckinpah turned in a directors cut that was subsequently re-cut by the studio (Columbia, I believe).

The re-cutting, of course, made the story more convoluted and harder to follow.

In 2005, a longer version was found in Sony's vault (the owner of the Columbia Studios film library). This version is not Peckinpah's director's cut but it does contain scenes that Columbia had hacked out.

Christopher Caliendo was hired to rescore this restored version of Major Dundee.

It is available via Netflicks, Amazon and runs on the Western Channel in moderate rotation.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm hip-hoppity happy about this news!!! I haven't seen any of his silents excepts parts of Four Sons and The Iron Horse so I will finally get to possess them and see them whenever I like!!!! It looks like 2007 is going out with a bang, not a whimper.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Great news. I hear the set is gonna be pretty expensive...but it will be worth it, I'm sure.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Coffeedan mentioned the Ford marathon an AMC years ago. There are still some I have from that weekend. Recently watched one named "Riley The Cop." Have seen some of the others like "Hangman's House" and "The Blue Eagle" and the oddly titled "Men Without Women" (which is a sound picture.)

The last place I saw "The Iron Horse" was on the Westerns channel a few years ago but not anywhere since.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

It looks like there will be a new orchestral score for The Iron Horse

Composer Christopher Caliendo's score is said to be terrific!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Izcutter,

:shock: Phooey! I can not believe that they are not keeping the John Lanchbery score from the Photo Play Productions restoration! That makes no sense to me?

Movieman1957,

:roll: The version run of THE IRON HORSE run on The Westerns Channel, was the much older Killiam Shows/Blackhawk films version from the early 70's. It had a William Perry Piano score.

I was surprised, because I was expecting them to run the Photo-Play Productions print, which is tinted throughout. The John Lanchbery Orchestral score was magnificent too!

You can hear Caliendo's work on A LADY OF CHANCE (1928), tomorrow night on TCM. I love his score to that film. Great movie too! :D
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Gagman,

A friend of mine got to hear some of the score and reported back that it is wonderful. As he is a true lover of silent films and film in general, I have no reason to doubt him and usually applaud his taste in film and film music.

It may be that Fox did a restoration on the film and that's what propelled them to commission a new score.

The most important thing is to keep in mind is that this box set is a reality and Fox is spending some major dollars not only on the films but on the extras as well.

Hopefully, it will all turn out to be worth it. But the initial reports I am hearing from various sources is that it will be.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

:o Huh, how did your friend get to hear the score? Where was this at? What about FOUR SONS? Will it still have the original Movie-tone track? I sure hope so! They can not replace that! Just clean it up a little, and it was slightly out of sync at times, as aired on the old AMC years ago. They need to fix that part of it.

Again don't miss A LADY OF CHANCE (1928) on Silent Sunday Nights, what ever you do! Or have you seen this Movie before?
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Phooey! I can not believe that they are not keeping the John Lanchbery score from the Photo Play Productions restoration! That makes no sense to me? >>

Gagman,

As I understand it, the Lanchbery score was done for the Photoplay restoration which was from the British version of The Iron Horse. This version contains more exposition in terms of the race to build the transcontinental railroad and about Lincoln.

The American version is the one being restored and used for the Ford at Fox boxed set and the different running lengths was one of the reasons that Fox commissioned a new score.
Lynn in Lake Balboa