It is my considered opinion . . .

Dargo

Re: It is my considered opinion . . .

Post by Dargo »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 8th, 2023, 2:32 pm
Dargo wrote: December 8th, 2023, 2:21 pm Here's a thought for ya!

If or when there's a remake of Kubrick's '2001: A Space Odyessey', will HAL's voice ("Sorry, I can't do that, Dave") be AI generated OR will they use the original one???

(...kind'a makes ya wonder, doesn't it?!) ;)

LOL
They would likely try to reuse the original if they ever remade it, but I'm not sure if they will try. The sequel, 2010: The Year We Make Contact was the film that seemingly broke the camel's back and ended MGM's days as a major studio after it financially lost its shirt in 1984. MGM after that was demoted to a mini-major, or a second rung studio.
Hmmm...well I know I plunked down MY (I think at the time) 4 bucks to see it when it was first released, anyway.

And another reason why I have to question you about this here CI, would be that after just now going to this film's Wiki page, over in the right column of that page it says that while this film's budget was $20M, it took in $40.4M in receipts just in North America alone. And in the written "Box Office" portion of this page it says:

2010: The Year We Make Contact debuted at number two at the North American box office, taking $7,393,361 for its opening weekend.[13] It was held off from the top spot by Beverly Hills Cop, which became that year's highest-grossing film in North America. During its second week, the film faced competition from two other new sci-fi films; John Carpenter's Starman and David Lynch's Dune,[14] but ultimately outgrossed both by the end of its domestic theatrical run. It finished with just over $40 million at the domestic box office and was the 17th-highest-grossing film in North America to be released in 1984.

(...and so I have to say from THIS it sure doesn't sound to me to be anywhere close to the financial shellacking that 20th Century Fox took after the '63 version of 'Cleopatra' bombed at the BO?)
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Dargo wrote: December 8th, 2023, 2:56 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: December 8th, 2023, 2:32 pm
Dargo wrote: December 8th, 2023, 2:21 pm Here's a thought for ya!

If or when there's a remake of Kubrick's '2001: A Space Odyessey', will HAL's voice ("Sorry, I can't do that, Dave") be AI generated OR will they use the original one???

(...kind'a makes ya wonder, doesn't it?!) ;)

LOL
They would likely try to reuse the original if they ever remade it, but I'm not sure if they will try. The sequel, 2010: The Year We Make Contact was the film that seemingly broke the camel's back and ended MGM's days as a major studio after it financially lost its shirt in 1984. MGM after that was demoted to a mini-major, or a second rung studio.
Hmmm...well I know I plunked down MY (I think at the time) 4 bucks to see it when it was first released, anyway.

And another reason why I have to question you about this here CI, would be that after just now going to this film's Wiki page, over in the right column of that page it says that while this film's budget was $20M, it took in $40.4M in receipts just in North America alone. And in the written "Box Office" portion of this page it says:

2010: The Year We Make Contact debuted at number two at the North American box office, taking $7,393,361 for its opening weekend.[13] It was held off from the top spot by Beverly Hills Cop, which became that year's highest-grossing film in North America. During its second week, the film faced competition from two other new sci-fi films; John Carpenter's Starman and David Lynch's Dune,[14] but ultimately outgrossed both by the end of its domestic theatrical run. It finished with just over $40 million at the domestic box office and was the 17th-highest-grossing film in North America to be released in 1984.

(...and so I have to say from THIS it sure doesn't sound to me to be anywhere close to the financial shellacking that 20th Century Fox took after the '63 version of 'Cleopatra' bombed at the BO?)
There was a book that was published in the very early 1990s called Fade Out, which was about MGM's terrible period in the 70s and especially the 80s. With cost overruns and a big publicity campaign included, the film ended up costing $43.8 million.

Since the gross needed to get to close to $100 million just to break even, it had to become a significant hit to make amends at a studio already incapacitated by debt riddled United Artists (which they bought after Heaven's Gate) and a lot of financially underperforming films that came just before it (Pennies from Heaven, Buddy Buddy, Rich and Famous, Whose Life is It Anyway, Cannery Row, Yes Giorgio, Shoot the Moon, Brainstorm, Mrs. Soffel).

So essentially, MGM was operating under the weight of the equivalent of four or five Cleopatras, and when this film did not make its investment back, it was the death knell. Not even Moonstruck and A Fish Called Wanda made much of a dent in the fallen stature late in the 80s.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 8th, 2023, 3:08 pm
There was a book that was published in the very early 1990s called Fade Out, which was about MGM's terrible period in the 70s and especially the 80s. With cost overruns and a big publicity campaign included, the film ended up costing $43.8 million.

Since the gross needed to get to close to $100 million just to break even, it had to become a significant hit to make amends at a studio already incapacitated by debt riddled United Artists (which they bought after Heaven's Gate) and a lot of financially underperforming films that came just before it (Pennies from Heaven, Buddy Buddy, Rich and Famous, Whose Life is It Anyway, Cannery Row, Yes Giorgio, Shoot the Moon, Brainstorm, Mrs. Soffel).

So essentially, MGM was operating under the weight of the equivalent of four or five Cleopatras, and when this film did not make its investment back, it was the death knell. Not even Moonstruck and A Fish Called Wanda made much of a dent in the fallen stature late in the 80s.
Aaah! So THAT 'splains it then, eh?!

(...thanks for the clarification here, CI)