TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Masha

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by Masha »

Lomm wrote: December 8th, 2022, 8:20 am
Masha I do not see this issue of the time locked forum, and if you sometimes have to clear cookies to post then something may be amiss with your web browser. You can try doing a clear browsing data (clears out all the old junk) to see if that helps.
Chrome (Version 108.0.5359.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)) is set to delete all browsing date at close except log-in cookies. Removing that one SSO cookie and logging in manually creates a new cookie and restores all permissions for a while.

I do not consider this significant because it might take frustrating hours to find the cause while doing the delete and manual log-in is a few seconds once in a while. The "4:43 am/4:43 pm" issue is a curiosity and does not truly affect my use of the site.

I can assure you that I have stranger problems. Going to my credit union's log-in page shows that it remembers me by a greeting with my name inserted but it never remembers my username for log-in. It worked properly before we moved and began using a different ISP. The credit union's IT state they have seen the problem before but have never found a cause or cure. Their sole hopeful sign is that the problem often goes away when the customer buys a new computer. This is the only computer we have which can access the Internet and so I can not test if the computer is to blame.

I do wish to take this opportunity to thank you once more for all the work which you do for this site. We are very lucky to have you.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

lafitte, is your sneaky Henry Fonda avatar from THE MAD MISS MANTON?
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 8th, 2022, 4:09 pm lafitte, is your sneaky Henry Fonda avatar from THE MAD MISS MANTON?
Gosh, I don't know. I would however go on a limb (or gang plank) and say no. He is walking into this lady's bedroom and she is in bed and he doesn't know that. [I just returned from a Imdb search and came up with nothing conclusive.] I was thinking Manton and Eve but no dice. Especially the latter. Why do you ask so difficult questions? You can't possibly think that a numbskull like me would even know what I have selected for an avatar. Whenever I went off for a job interview "paying attention to detail" was horrible because you have to say that in an interview and I felt like such a phony. If I were a air traffic controller paying attentiion to detail would be the last thing on my mind. And, what do you think you'll be doing ten years from now? God, I hated that one. It won't take that long to figure this out. Thanks for asking, I am now curious to know. I did see TMMM some ago and the only thing I remember is so many sweeties framed visibly in a single frame and often. So many of them all trying to solve a crime. But what other early Fonda have I seen. I'm gonna think on't. :smiley_chinrub:

Afterthought : You are probably right.
"Desire" (1936)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

It DOES look like a scene from that movie....
laffite

Post by laffite »

Well, that's good enough for me.

You two experts cannot be denied.

The Mad Miss Manton it is!

:smiley_clap:
"Desire" (1936)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

laffite wrote: December 8th, 2022, 6:19 pm Well, that's good enough for me.

I hope they show the film again soon so I can compare.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

laffite wrote: December 8th, 2022, 6:19 pm Well, that's good enough for me.

I thought your avatar was Freddy Krueger at first.

Watching until the end.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite may have unwittingly inspired a new game: What Movie is This?

The American Film Institute Movie Club has such a game, Get the Picture.

What movie is this?

As for laffite's avatar, I swiftly perused The Mad Miss Manton and did not see a scene that matched it. But, it might be found by watching the entire movie.

The Mad Miss Manton on the Web

Classic Movies Kristine Rose (Russian website)
The Projection Room (Russian website)
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
BrianNH2OK

Post by BrianNH2OK »

I think it's from the Director's cut version.
laffite

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: December 8th, 2022, 7:34 pm laffite may have unwittingly inspired a new game: What Movie is This?

What movie is this?

David and Lisa

As for laffite's avatar, I swiftly perused The Mad Miss Manton and did not see a scene that matched it. But, it might be found by watching the entire movie.

"Desire" (1936)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

lafitte, LOL I mean, how often in a movie does Henry Fonda skulk? Very few, if any, except TMMM, where if I remember correctly he opens the door to Stanny's penthouse bedroom in order to...umm, at that point I'm not too sure....Hank's looking for clues but how the character gets past maid Hattie McDaniel is a mystery in itself.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Yes, the bedroom door/room looks very similar, I'd be surprised if it isn't. I haven't seen the film in awhile, but her door is on that side and I do remember him sneaking in, at least once.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

EP Millstone wrote: December 8th, 2022, 7:34 pm laffite may have unwittingly inspired a new game: What Movie is This?

What movie is this?

LOL. What a provocative still! :D
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: December 9th, 2022, 12:50 pm

What movie is this?

Can't be too provocative. For much of the film, David recoiled at any bit of human touch!
laffite

Post by laffite »

Hibi wrote: December 9th, 2022, 12:50 pm

What movie is this?

I admit it, I am seeking acclaim for having identified the still. I actually posted it last night but deleted and posted it again because I wanted to respond to EP Millstone's original post so he would see it and be impressed :smiley_happygroup: . Yes I am proud of myself :smiley_cheer: I knew the answer right away. I knew the answer in about .7 seconds. Move over, Google.

It was easy because I saw the picture on its first release. There was a lot of buzz in the newspaper because it was being hailed as an unusually sensitive take on mental illness. I don't remember much of it but I remember Kier Dullea's character had an extreme dislike of being touched by another human being. He came across as a terminal sissy. Uh, laffite ... how about a little sensitivity towards mental illness! Okay, got it. :headbang:

Okay, sheepish laffite being so needy here, a glutton for recognition. :Blush2: At least on this one. Why, if this was the College Bowl I would have beaten out those geniuses. Sudden memory : Three College Bowl participants could not utter a single correct answer when three classical pieces were played. I got them in .5 seconds each. They were not difficult. War horses actually. I won't mention what they were although I remember two of them. Am I beginning to be insufferable yet? :director:

Okay, I'll go quietly.

:smiley_snoopy: It's about time. Yuck!
"Desire" (1936)