TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Swithin

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by Swithin »

LawrenceA wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 4:27 pm So still no word from CigarJoe, LHF, MissW, PoT, or Vautrin? As far as I know, they haven't appeared at the other site, either. Is anyone in communication with any of them?
There are names on the other site that I don't recognize, wonder if they include and of the posters you mention.
Last edited by Swithin on January 3rd, 2023, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

txfilmfan wrote: January 1st, 2023, 8:40 pm
lydecker wrote: January 1st, 2023, 8:37 pm So, it was my understanding that the TCM Message Boards would be accessible (on the TCM site) until February, 2023. But, they appear to be gone and gone. I had hoped to check a few things out from those years of wonderful commentary before they shut it all down. Am I crazy? (Rhetorical question.) Has anyone else been able to access them since 1/1/23?
Still there. They removed the link from their main website right after the first of December, but you can still access the forum if you go directly to the URL:

https://forums.tcm.com/
Thanks I did that. Takes a while to "open" and then you can select a thread and that takes a while to open. You can also sign in. You can't post anything, but it does show responses to your posts.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Stevomachino

Post by Stevomachino »

scsu1975 wrote: January 1st, 2023, 9:17 pm
What this place needs is a like button.
:lol:
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

BTW, I had someone post at me at the other site to inform me that they were on a Reddit thread about the TCM forums shutting down, and someone there posted that they attempted to sign up here, but that they never got their verification e-mail. Then when they tried signing up again, it said their e-mail was already in use.

Just an FYI.
Watching until the end.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

LawrenceA wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 5:43 pm BTW, I had someone post at me at the other site to inform me that they were on a Reddit thread about the TCM forums shutting down, and someone there posted that they attempted to sign up here, but that they never got their verification e-mail. Then when they tried signing up again, it said their e-mail was already in use.

Just an FYI.
LawrenceA,

You might want to shoot an email notification -- with the name and email address of the person who is unable to join the SSO -- to the SSO administrators. They might be able to find his/her email address in the membership list.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

EP Millstone wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 5:58 pm LawrenceA,

You might want to shoot an email notification -- with the name and email address of the person who is unable to join the SSO -- to the SSO administrators. They might be able to find his/her email address in the membership list.
I have no idea who they were. The person who posted about it on the other site isn't even a member of that site (they were signed in as a guest), and the person on Reddit (a site I don't use) had a username I didn't recognize from the old TCM board.

Given the vagueness of it all, I originally didn't even bother to post here about it when I read it this morning, but later figured why not?
Watching until the end.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

They often go to a spam folder. It's likely what happened to that person. If you do have someone from the old place who signed up and you know them (or how to contact them), let me know and I can check and activate their account.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

"....To hear Mankiewicz tell it, Zaslav is more interested in honoring the legacies of the Golden Age of Hollywood studio heads than outsiders might realize. He's currently renovating legendary Paramount leader Robert Evans' former home with the aim of moving in, and he's the first Warner Bros. CEO in years to request that Jack Warner's desk be taken out of storage and placed in his office. "He understands movie history," adds Mankiewicz. "He wanted to work at Jack Warner's desk. That mattered to him. I'm not sure that it's mattered to some of the other people."

The five hosts seem to share a collective sense that none of this is blowing smoke. "For the most of the time we were up [in his office], Zaslav talked about the value of curation," says Mankiewicz. "He gets what we do. He's not a guy who thinks, 'Let's just show the movies.' He gets what TCM does and why it's important."....

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tur ... &tsrc=twtr

:smiley_clap:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
laffite

Post by laffite »

:smiley_worship:

:director: "TCM to Last Forever."

:smiley_yeah:

:smiley_cheer:

:smiley_cheers:

:smiley_snoopy: "Don't get your hopes up. They may fold next week."
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Wait! Is this Zaslav dude the guy standing in the middle of the back row who looks a lot like a middle-aged Mickey Rooney but only taller???

(...well, at least I can now place a face to a name here, huh)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Well, I rapidly looked at all 26 pages here. I will say without being shy about it, I am the one who complained about God being use on the Classic Film TV Radio forum. I happened automatically at 500 posts and TopBilled was first (naturally). I complained because 2 other people had God above their name and for the same reason. One person was embarrassed by it. Someone here mentioned the software and that was it. I dug through support pages and found the solution. Posted it and TB fixed. He thanked everyone who helped. I did not receive credit for my trouble, so I'll take it now. I agree that TB is not a person who should be admin or moderator. He refuses to make people join and the site is over run with Guests. That is why I left. This is going to be the forum to replace TCM's. He should close up shop and come over here. I see some people don't want that. He is a writer and not someone to operate a forum.
EDIT: As Steve Jobs use to say, "One More Thing." A guest from over there quoted me from over here. That is normally taboo. Another person using both forums talked behind my back, which is just rude.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I love Ben's spiel about how the boss man is really a big fan of classic movies. Sounds like dialogue right out of Sunset Boulevard.
So he's bringing in Jack's old desk. Okay. Why not also dust off Jack's old casting couch? It would make everything appear much more
authentic. Hey babe, let's movie. :director:
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I would like to add, everything I say here gets repeated word for word on the other forum.
Masha

Post by Masha »

ziggy6708a wrote: January 27th, 2023, 8:29 pm "....To hear Mankiewicz tell it, Zaslav is more interested in honoring the legacies of the Golden Age of Hollywood studio heads than outsiders might realize. He's currently renovating legendary Paramount leader Robert Evans' former home with the aim of moving in, and he's the first Warner Bros. CEO in years to request that Jack Warner's desk be taken out of storage and placed in his office. "He understands movie history," adds Mankiewicz. "He wanted to work at Jack Warner's desk. That mattered to him. I'm not sure that it's mattered to some of the other people."
I sincerely hope that any person who believes this will contact me at once. I happen to have a nice little bridge for sale ...
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Masha ... I have some Ocean Front Property In Arizona which I'd consider a fair trade.
I'm commenting here so I can tell you I love your avatar.
A little concerned about Dargo. That thing might go off.
Same goes for Lomm.
I looked up the movie, as I couldn't remember, where Spencer Tracy has a licorice pistol. (Adam's Rib)
Don't know how to insert a video here, which isn't necessary to me anyway.