TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
HoldenIsHere

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by HoldenIsHere »

jimimac71 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 12:19 pm Thank You TikiSoo. (Like Button!)
I figured out how to PM and asked Lomm to leave my account here active.
My experience with bots is they post once and never return.
What happened with me was more advanced than that.
jimimac71, you're right.
If the Guests that are posting at "the other place" are referencing you directly in their posts they are not bots.
An actual person who visits "the other place" who is not a registered user is making those posts.
Or a registered user is posting without logging into their account.

I wouldn't be surprised if the self-proclaimed "writer" who is the administrator/moderator of the "the other place" is making those Guest posts that reference your activity here and/or he is asking others to make those Guest posts.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I will admit to having a short fuse.
I will also admit putting a smile on my face is just as easy as making me mad.
There are 200+ pages over at Dewey's Record Party! that I want to view.
I enjoy classic movies, but have zero knowledge compared to many here.
I love music. Knowledge base is much greater. Growing older, I forget.
I really know nothing about Noir, but am curious.
Some at the old TCM forum didn't have patience with me. Gee, could have been my fault. We shall see.
Like button for you to Holden!
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

jimimac71 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 12:19 pm I am curious. This forum doesn't have ads. My home PC has ad blocking but my mobile devices don't.
How does this forum keep running?
This forum keeps running because the owner of the site keeps paying out of her own pocket! :) It's not terribly expensive to own a domain, and this one is relatively easy to maintain (by me on her behalf). Honestly ads don't generate a whole lot of revenue for small sites like this even if we were to start adding something like an Amazon affiliate link or something. Personally I'd rather not bother and keep the experience clean, as long as our illustrious benefactor is happy with this too.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Many thanks to the SSO benefactor (and the unpaid mods)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I thought you had to be a member (registered) to post over there?
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Thanks Lomm. I'm sure there are people who would donate if needed.
I agree with Diane and like the TCM style avatar.
Hibi ... Other forums under the same umbrella require having an account.
I guess that is an option available to the admin.
NotAnAnimal!!

Post by NotAnAnimal!! »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 5:58 pm
Right, james. Possibly "notananimal" is just trying to throw shade on the SSO . . .
Uhhh, no. I couldn't sign up and no one wanted to manually authorize the last 3 accounts I made so I gave up. Signup has since changed to a captcha confirmation. Anyways, it seems as though much (or maybe the entire) TCM board has been backed up. I think its accessible in its complete form through archive.org (without pictures).
laffite

Post by laffite »

NotAnAnimal!! wrote: February 4th, 2023, 5:50 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 5:58 pm
Right, james. Possibly "notananimal" is just trying to throw shade on the SSO . . .
Uhhh, no. I couldn't sign up and no one wanted to manually authorize the last 3 accounts I made so I gave up. Signup has since changed to a captcha confirmation. Anyways, it seems as though much (or maybe the entire) TCM board has been backed up. I think its accessible in its complete form through archive.org (without pictures).
You think? I checked the site and you have to sign up to see content. Are you signed up, by chance? To be archived it is probable that would need permission from Turner Classic Movies as well as VisionCommunity. Those are two big ifs. I would be delighted if the forum was saved on Archive dot com but I am not encouraged to believe it.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
NotAnAnimal!!

Post by NotAnAnimal!! »

laffite wrote: February 4th, 2023, 6:15 pm You think? I checked the site and you have to sign up to see content. Are you signed up, by chance? To be archived it is probable that would need permission from Turner Classic Movies as well as VisionCommunity. Those are two big ifs. I would be delighted if the forum was saved on Archive dot com but I am not encouraged to believe it.
Yes, I'm signed up here now (under my fourth try), that's how I posted that message after all. :) AFAIK the TCM forum is now backed up. I know they backed it up but I wasn't sure how to access the backed up files, but I think the back up they did allows the site to be shown on archive.org. You can go check it out, just remember the forums.tcm.com and choose the latest backup Dec 6ish. Might be a good idea to bookmark any threads you might want to go back to. :smiley_cheers:
laffite

Post by laffite »

NotAnAnimal!! wrote: February 4th, 2023, 6:44 pm
laffite wrote: February 4th, 2023, 6:15 pm You think? I checked the site and you have to sign up to see content. Are you signed up, by chance? To be archived it is probable that would need permission from Turner Classic Movies as well as VisionCommunity. Those are two big ifs. I would be delighted if the forum was saved on Archive dot com but I am not encouraged to believe it.
Yes, I'm signed up here now (under my fourth try), that's how I posted that message after all. :) AFAIK the TCM forum is now backed up. I know they backed it up but I wasn't sure how to access the backed up files, but I think the back up they did allows the site to be shown on archive.org. You can go check it out, just remember the forums.tcm.com and choose the latest backup Dec 6ish. Might be a good idea to bookmark any threads you might want to go back to. :smiley_cheers:
I'm confused. I know you're signed up here but are you signed up at Archive? If so, did you actually lay eyes on the TCM Forum archive there? Thanks.
laffite

Post by laffite »

This is encouraging, but will it still be there after Feb 15. This is the date given for the actual disappearance of the TCM Forum. It is still viewable right now in its usual place. I wonder who initiated the process and saw it through to Archive dot com? Anyway, if it is there to stay, wahoo!!

Thanks, Liam.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: February 4th, 2023, 10:27 pm
:smiley_cheer:
I mean YE-AH!! YAH-WHOO-WEE !!!

But how long will it be there? Worry wart laffite.

Who initiated this? Curious to know.

But in the meantime : :smiley_yeah:
NotAnAnimal!!

Post by NotAnAnimal!! »

laffite wrote: February 4th, 2023, 10:37 pm I mean YE-AH!! YAH-WHOO-WEE !!!

But how long will it be there? Worry wart laffite.

Who initiated this? Curious to know.

But in the meantime : :smiley_yeah:
There's no reason to sign up at archive.org you can just use it to look at the backup of the board. It will be up until archive.org goes out of business I guess :D . I helped initiate the backup, but can't take credit for the actual backing up of it. Hope it works out for you all.