TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
laffite

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: December 5th, 2022, 11:57 pm
laffite wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:04 pm
I don't believe TopGod has garnered that many new members since the Nov 30. He had 67 before and now he has 79, and he seems stuck there. A net gain of 12. We have had more since then here. It was ghost town prior to Nov 30 and is seems bustling a bit now.
At the bottom of this forum's homepage is a small section labeled: "Who Is Online". It is a five-minute running total of how many are viewing the site. A short time ago the count was: forty-seven. Only a few were registered users but it does indicate there is interest. I would not be surprised if the total was occasionally eighty or above.
Thanks. On Tops site there is, at the bottom of the page, a number representing how many registered members there are regardless if they are on site or not at that moment. That was the 79 above in my post.

On this site i clicked on MEMBERS and they seem to have a complete list of all member listed in chronological order by date of registration. In order to get an idea how many "refugees" I guess the best way to tell is to move to the end of the list and then count the recognizable screen names.

:smiley_worship: Topper should get this for his worshipers.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Marysara1 wrote: December 5th, 2022, 5:32 pm
ElCid wrote: December 5th, 2022, 11:43 am
Detective Jim McLeod wrote: December 5th, 2022, 10:44 am

So glad I didn't join that one now, I was watching to see where any of those Off Topic Political posters were going and I was going to avoid that site
I believe both of them are here as well, but hopefully will leave the politics on the other board.
I belong to both sites. Top Billed is trying very hard to please. He doesn't want politics talked about either. That's why there's no category for it Top-billed pointed it out to one of the posters that was talking about politics. Told him to be respectful but also pointed out there's no category for it.
While there is no actual site for politics on the "other board", there is a sort of catch all section and one of the former TCM forum members posted a blistering attack on Joe Biden on it on Dec. 4th and it is still there. You responded that you agreed with the post. Although you did suggest that politics should not be posted on it.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

ElCid wrote: December 6th, 2022, 8:22 am
Marysara1 wrote: December 5th, 2022, 5:32 pm
ElCid wrote: December 5th, 2022, 11:43 am
I believe both of them are here as well, but hopefully will leave the politics on the other board.
I belong to both sites. Top Billed is trying very hard to please. He doesn't want politics talked about either. That's why there's no category for it Top-billed pointed it out to one of the posters that was talking about politics. Told him to be respectful but also pointed out there's no category for it.
While there is no actual site for politics on the "other board", there is a sort of catch all section and one of the former TCM forum members posted a blistering attack on Joe Biden on it on Dec. 4th and it is still there. You responded that you agreed with the post. Although you did suggest that politics should not be posted on it.
Great. Here we go again! :(
Stevomachino

Post by Stevomachino »

Dargo wrote: December 5th, 2022, 6:32 pm
Hibi, have you or anyone you know of heard from Lorna? Or for that matter, from scsu (Rich)?

(...speaking of people we miss)
I do hope they both eventually make their way here. They always had something so entertaining and/or informative to say!
laffite wrote: December 5th, 2022, 6:45 pm
I spoke to Rich a few days ago. He is thinking of coming over here. He seems busy. I asked him whether he might resume his brilliant 100 Years silent film thread and and he said maybe though it would probably be every two weeks instead of every week. He is such an intelligent, funny guy, I wish he comes over here.

Hibi, I only heard reently that mighe be definite news, he was so devastated with the demise of the forum that he was sort of broke down. You may have read the same thing. Or perhaps this is old news. I have no insider news.
That's great news about Rich!
And yes, I believe it was CinemaInternational who mentioned corresponding briefly with Lorna after the announcement, and that he (Lorna) had taken the news hard, but might possibly migrate here at some point.
So, fingers crossed!
Masha

Post by Masha »

laffite wrote: December 6th, 2022, 2:05 am On this site i clicked on MEMBERS and they seem to have a complete list of all member listed in chronological order by date of registration. In order to get an idea how many "refugees" I guess the best way to tell is to move to the end of the list and then count the recognizable screen names.
A quick and dirty sort shows sixty-five new members since: October 20, 2022. Some of them have usernames recognizable from: TCM forum but have not yet posted. It is beyond my capability to quickly determine how many members have returned since the migration began.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I have no news on Lorna. I, as well as many others pm'd him, but I never got a response. CinemaInternational did get one one recently and he knows about SSO. He hasn't appeared yet. Some others I used to like haven't appeared here either. I know one said it wouldn't let him register.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Masha,
What poster did you used to be on TCM?
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: December 6th, 2022, 12:33 pm I have no news on Lorna. I, as well as many others pm'd him, but I never got a response. CinemaInternational did get one one recently and he knows about SSO. He hasn't appeared yet. Some others I used to like haven't appeared here either. I know one said it wouldn't let him register.
You might want to tell the one who couldn't register that sometimes it takes multiple tries to register. It took me three times.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

And poor Lorna was driven to therapy over the TCM boards closing. :(
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: December 5th, 2022, 6:32 pm
Hibi wrote: December 5th, 2022, 5:00 pm I've noticed some posters aren't on either site. Have they given up on us? :( I've been doing some poster searching on both sites. There are some people I miss already. It's not like we can count on new people just showing up like on TCM's. Unless we get some disenchanted ones from Tops board. I hope we can keep this place going.
Hibi, have you or anyone you know of heard from Lorna? Or for that matter, from scsu (Rich)?

(...speaking of people we miss)
Sorry, for the slow response. I'm still getting the hang of this site. No, I haven't (Lorna) I think RIch is planning to come here.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 6th, 2022, 12:40 pm
Hibi wrote: December 6th, 2022, 12:33 pm I have no news on Lorna. I, as well as many others pm'd him, but I never got a response. CinemaInternational did get one one recently and he knows about SSO. He hasn't appeared yet. Some others I used to like haven't appeared here either. I know one said it wouldn't let him register.
You might want to tell the one who couldn't register that sometimes it takes multiple tries to register. It took me three times.
Unfortunately, the poster has not been on the TCM site since it closed and hasn't read my pm! :(
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

laffite wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:27 pm
LostHorizons wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:12 pm
laffite wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:04 pm

Got it, thanks.

I don't believe TopGod has garnered that many new members since the Nov 30. He had 67 before and now he has 79, and he seems stuck there. A net gain of 12. We have had more since then here. It was ghost town prior to Nov 30 and is seems bustling a bit now.
Instead of doing the raffle he should have just bought a new effing Invision board. Then he would have actually been a “god” to the TCM fan base for doing that.
If I have it right, he would pay $30 a month for the gift cards. Invision Community is $99 a month.
While accurate, it is still likely based off how easily he drops that money for the raffles that he likely has enough disposable income to set up an Invision board if he really wanted to.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

I see that Mr. MacDonald had continued his prize tradition of starting threads on completely inane, filler topics no one could possibly care about such as whether it is acceptable to refer to William Powell as Bill or not. :D
Masha

Post by Masha »

Hibi wrote: December 6th, 2022, 12:35 pm Masha,
What poster did you used to be on TCM?
I have the sudden thought to not answer until that forum is wiped from existence so that you can not look up my posts there and learn what type of person I am. :smiley_innocent: It is ever so much fun to surprise people.

I will risk it and state: I was: SansFin.

My little Fuzzy posted there as: Capuchin but he will not be joining me here since he has me to act as locum to speak his mind if needs must.
Masha

Post by Masha »

LostHorizons wrote: December 6th, 2022, 12:57 pm I see that Mr. MacDonald had continued his prize tradition of starting threads on completely inane, filler topics no one could possibly care about such as whether it is acceptable to refer to William Powell as Bill or not. :D
My standard morality is that I am not cheap but I can be bought. I feel that does not apply because I can imagine no amount of ready money which could induce me to join his site.