TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by Hibi »

Feinberg wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:35 am
HoldenIsHere wrote: December 6th, 2022, 4:31 pm
Hibi wrote: December 6th, 2022, 1:15 pm

I'm sure that Tops will see to it that he wins at least ONE of the monthly gift cards! :D
Hibi, you're not suggesting that (GASP!) the gift card raffles are r-r-rigged, are you?

. . .faints . . .
Well, unlike most lotteries the person drawing the tickets does not expose them to the camera.
LMREO!!!!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I thought of another TCM poster who hasn't turned up: Midwestan. Is he on the other board?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I could tolerate being on the same board as Tops, but not if he is running it. Also I don't want him having my e-mail information etc...
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Nipkowdisc won the lottery.
jamesjazzguitar

Masha wrote: December 7th, 2022, 12:26 am
jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 6th, 2022, 5:31 pm [...] At this stage both sites are rather "dead"; i.e. not a lot of interesting conversations [...]
I have posted my experiences with six movies in: 'The Films' board. I have contributed to two threads in: 'Off Topic -> General Chat' and created a new thread. I do not know how much more I can do. It is not as if I can be 'interesting' on demand. :smiley_chinrub:
I read all of your posts and I found them the most interesting. Note that I said "not a lot"; and not that there were not any interesting posts.
jamesjazzguitar

EP Millstone wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:21 am
Masha wrote: December 7th, 2022, 12:26 am I have posted my experiences with six movies in: 'The Films' board. I have contributed to two threads in: 'Off Topic -> General Chat' and created a new thread. I do not know how much more I can do. It is not as if I can be 'interesting' on demand. :smiley_chinrub:
I, for one (and I know that I'm not the only one), appreciate and applaud your participation and contributions, Masha. Your "odd" and "perverse" sense of humor is an especial delight that enhances The Silver Screen Oasis.

James' comment is an insult to everyone who has made -- and is making -- the SSO a lively and interesting community!

Feel free to pitch in and help make the SSO an even better, more vibrant salon than was The TCM Message Boards, JJG!
I find it hard to believe you, with your thick skin was insulted, but thanks for making me look like an ass.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 7th, 2022, 11:48 am I find it hard to believe you, with your thick skin was insulted, but thanks for making me look like an ass.
Don't thank me, you did that awwwwlll by your widdow se'f! 😛

Look, I'm glad -- thrilled -- that you're on the SSO. I find your musical knowledge interesting and educational.

Again, if you think that the joint is "rather dead" and doesn't have "a lot of interesting conversations," help fix the "problem." To quote Barack Obama:

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."

To put it another way: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

I genuinely and eagerly look forward to your contributions, JJG!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 7th, 2022, 11:41 am Nipkowdisc won the lottery.
That tells you a lot about that site! LMREO!
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Do you mean the giftcard giveaway over there, or the actual lottery?

I ask because I noticed that even before the TCM boards closed he was talking a lot about buying laptops and a new bed and other sundry items, which I found odd since he often posted in the past about garbage sifting and frequenting food pantries for the indigent.
Watching until the end.
Masha

Post by Masha »

EP Millstone wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:21 am James' comment is an insult to everyone who has made -- and is making -- the SSO a lively and interesting community!
I do not see it as an insult. I would never assume that jamesjazzguitar could or would deliberately insult any person if not directly provoked.

I see it as an observation clouded by depressing situation. It was a lament and plaintive cry. My reply to him was not reassuring because I see no guarantees and I hate to provide false hope. I had thought it might provoke in him a: "some are trying. Perhaps it will not be so bad" thought. I realize that that may not be of much help but it is all I have to give.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
laffite

Post by laffite »

Does anyone know how to create a new topic. The FAQ says click on CREATE NEW TOPIC but where is it? :tickedoff: Thank You,
:shock: .
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

laffite wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:27 pm Does anyone know how to create a new topic. The FAQ says click on CREATE NEW TOPIC but where is it? :tickedoff: Thank You,
It is at the top of every forum (not at the top of a post in the forum). It just says "new topic", not "create new topic".
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lomm wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:30 pm
laffite wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:27 pm Does anyone know how to create a new topic. The FAQ says click on CREATE NEW TOPIC but where is it? :tickedoff: Thank You,
It is at the top of every forum (not at the top of a post in the forum). It just says "new topic", not "create new topic".
I'm not seeing it.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Hibi wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:42 pm
Lomm wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:30 pm
I'm not seeing it.
Scroll below the Most Recent Topics section at the top.

Choose one of forums listed below and click on it. You see New Topic at the top.
:shock: .
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

LawrenceA wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:59 pm
Do you mean the giftcard giveaway over there, or the actual lottery?

I ask because I noticed that even before the TCM boards closed he was talking a lot about buying laptops and a new bed and other sundry items, which I found odd since he often posted in the past about garbage sifting and frequenting food pantries for the indigent.
I think he said he saved up for those accoutrements every few years. It was the reason he said he wouldn’t post to TCM from the new computer. The old one he had had been using for several years had his password saved on it.