TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
LostHorizons

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by LostHorizons »

Cuthbert wrote: December 1st, 2022, 12:37 am It was down, and now it seems to be live again. I just posted.
I was premature but now it is definitely gone for good. I got the “you can not post content” message.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Wait, never mind. I was issued my first warning for criticizing Mr MacDonald’s new site. It is still live.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LostHorizons wrote: December 1st, 2022, 12:58 am Wait, never mind. I was issued my first warning for criticizing Mr MacDonald’s new site. It is still live.
Sorry for my ignorance, who is Mr. MacDonald?
laffite

Post by laffite »

Cuthbert wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:20 am
LostHorizons wrote: December 1st, 2022, 12:58 am Wait, never mind. I was issued my first warning for criticizing Mr MacDonald’s new site. It is still live.
TB

I just posted too, over there.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
laffite

Post by laffite »

laffite wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:22 am
Cuthbert wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:20 am
TB

I just posted too, over there. Meaning TCM
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Wait — I did notice that Bagel’s comment was deleted, and my rather tame response to it. Are you Bagel?
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Cuthbert wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:24 am Wait — I did notice that Bagel’s comment was deleted, and my rather tame response to it. Are you Bagel?
No, I was Sukhov. The deleted comment was something I said in the “TCM message board replacement” thread which was pruned.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Bagel made an interesting comment as to why he would not frequent the other site. I responded more or less saying that we should give it a try, though it’s not best practice to have a site with only one moderator/administrator. Those comments have been deleted, which is cause for concern.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Cuthbert wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:36 am Bagel made an interesting comment as to why he would not frequent the other site. I responded more or less saying that we should give it a try, though it’s not best practice to have a site with only one moderator/administrator. Those comments have been deleted, which is cause for concern.
I was agreeing with him that Topbilled isn’t cut out for running a site and gave an example of him fighting with people over Burt Lancaster’s sexuality based on faulty evidence (his swimsuit). To me, that was a harmless story that demonstrated how clueless and stubborn the guy is but the mods took it a different way.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LostHorizons wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:32 am
Cuthbert wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:24 am Wait — I did notice that Bagel’s comment was deleted, and my rather tame response to it. Are you Bagel?
No, I was Sukhov. The deleted comment was something I said in the “TCM message board replacement” thread which was pruned.
I see that the thread was moved to Off Topic and several posts have been deleted. It now says that the thread is closed for comment, although other threads remain alive.

Very disturbing. Makes me wonder about a few things.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Cuthbert wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:49 am
LostHorizons wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:32 am
I see that the thread was moved to Off Topic and several posts have been deleted. It now says that the thread is closed for comment, although other threads remain alive.

Very disturbing. Makes me wonder about a few things.
I was told that guy is a major suck up to either one or all of the mods and they basically act like his censors, deleting anything critical of him. I was told they have been deleting posts for him for years if not even more than a decade at this point. I was told all this by Lawrence a long time ago. Normally, I wouldn’t use names but also the old site is on the way out and also I doubt he cares at all. He can add his two cents on this if he wants.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Bagel has always been a respectful and interesting poster, so I’m inclined to accept the concerns he expressed. Regarding what you just wrote, it does seem a little odd to me that the TCM Mod announced the sunsetting on Oct. 19, and the new board went live a day or two later. I wonder if there was inside information!
Masha

Post by Masha »

LostHorizons wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:58 am I was told that guy is a major suck up to either one or all of the mods and they basically act like his censors, deleting anything critical of him. I was told they have been deleting posts for him for years if not even more than a decade at this point. I was told all this by Lawrence a long time ago. Normally, I wouldn’t use names but also the old site is on the way out and also I doubt he cares at all. He can add his two cents on this if he wants.
I suspect that he placed me on his: Ignore list some years ago. It is either that or he simply does not bother to read posts which do not contain his username. I say that because I made a comment concerning the new site: "[...] its domination by an Idi Amin wannabe." and the thread received some attention from a Moderator but my post remained in its entirety.

It is clear that he was given 'insider information' in the past. I received a very offensive email at a time when he was on a jag insulting any person who disagreed with him in general and Christians in particular. That email address was created solely for my participation on the TCM forum and was used nowhere else. I know it did not come from any legitimate staff at TCM because the sender address was spoofed.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

TCM's forum is now mostly read-only. I say "mostly" because you apparently can still use the reaction emoticons, for whatever they're worth.

The Off-Topics forum is no longer accessible at all.

The last post was by scsu1975, at around 10:10am EST in LawrenceA's topic "Redeem Days Won" , under "Problems with the Message Boards"

And one soul decided to register on TCM's forum this morning at around 10:05...
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Really sad. Was up late last night & again early this morning on a death watch. Made an effort to not be the last poster since I mostly just lurked daily for the past 17 years and that wouldn't have been right.