TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Swithin

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by Swithin »

txfilmfan wrote: December 1st, 2022, 10:54 am

The last post was by scsu1975, at around 10:10am EST in LawrenceA's topic "Redeem Days Won" , under "Problems with the Message Boards"
I think it is totally appropriate that Tor Johnson's agent had the last word!

LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but the Private Message function on the TCM boards is still working. I've gone back and forth with Tom a few times today. Don't know how long it will last, though, or if you can create new PM threads (the one we're using was started years ago).
Watching until the end.
laffite

Post by laffite »

My first wake up without the forum. Strangely the first thing to mind was that I ought play the 2nd movement of Brahms 1st Symphony, this not having yet arisen from bed. Strange because I haven't listened to this for perhaps decades. Interesting too, Brahms First was my first enthusiasm and introduction to the Classics, having discovered it over a half century ago. Snob alert, my experience ( not expertise) suggests that the 2nd movement, serenely beautiful as it is, may not be listener friendly for the uninitiated. But it fits the occasion. Just listen and let it be there.

Of course I had to visit the place. People don't accept the deaths of family members unless they see the body. I had to check the forum to confirm that it was indeed gone. :lol: I didn't realize it at first, there were flickers of activity as I moved the cursor around. Wow, it's still working I told myself. I thought to post the music but there was no place to post. A relief came over me. I didn't want a sudden-death overtime. Enough already of the end of days. I am now ready for next phase of the acceptance process, namely rigor mortis the end of which be on Feb 15, the day after Valentine's. And as Lawrence has just posted, the PMs are still working ... for now.

I was in on the channel from the beginning. I had a plush care-giving gig and my hosts set me up, lavishly providing Cable and other perks. April 1994, Doris Day was SOTM. I looked at the screen and I said, what's this? I had a VCR and started recordings. During a recent move I had to let them go. One thousand VHS tapes with about twice as many movies. Intros and outros, and the interstitials. A young looking Robert Osborne. I took his passing without much passion, but thinking now when he was so young and vibrant, I seem devastated.. That collection would be gold mine now. It hurts to think of it. Remember that prime time movie intro. The big building and a grandiose fanfare-ish build up, showing a clip of a Rooney-Garland movie, Babes in Arms, I think. Rooney walking into a subway or something, looking up at Garland above, she looking down a fourth floor apartment building. O would I not give for those old VHS tapes. now. (or so it seems at this very moment), I would probably wallow in it for the next days and then (virtually) forget them.

A lots of drama here, sorry ; but I am of a mood, this day after.

Well, we still have the Channel. And when ...and when ... ... but I will not think that ; I shan't, I shan't.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Masha

Post by Masha »

I did not anticipate that they would immediately erase: Off Topic Chat. It makes sense as it is not an archive of information and opinion of movies. It is also that the forum was likely the largest headache to moderators and administration because of heated arguments in threads and take-down notices from copyright holders.

It is sad because I do not have the urls for many of the images which I posted in: Funny Stuff, Around the Galaxy and similar threads. My usual habit is to copy images to our subscriber space on: Imgur and post links to that. I did not do that for images posted by other Imgur-users which I felt would be of limited interest and I likely would not need again. I had at all times the option to go through the thread to find it if I did wish to use it elsewhere.

I had planned to go through those threads and collect the urls of those images because I did not wish to lose what was funny or thought-provoking even if it is for my own enjoyment. That would be time-consuming and time is a bit dear at the moment. I believed that I had until the middle of February to perform that task. Now it is gone. I feel as if a clod has been washed from my island.

Of more pressing concern is that I now have to make changes to my browser. I had a bookmark for each of the three TCM boards which I visited daily. The line of icons in the bookmark bar were precisely the proper width for the bowser window. That made it easy to reset when I had to expand or shrink the window for odd websites. I do not have three other bookmarks which are used as frequently to replace them.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

They should have given advanced warning that they would immediately delete off topics but it is kind of nice to see all those years of spam threads deleted in a quick instant.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

I'm missing the Cat thread. So many interesting videos or pictures. There were other similar threads probably that were humorous. Of course last night when I came home and found that "my" cat had pulled down my small tree with Hallmark train ornaments on it, my feelings toward cats was diminished. We have several cats, but this male is "mine" because he immediately attached himself to me, even though my wife actually feeds the cats. Good news is that only two of 77 ornaments were damaged and I should be able to repair them with super glue.
Oh well, my feelings are back to where they were. Of course the cat had no idea he had done something wrong and sat in my lap while I watched TV and slept beside me in bed. He also woke me up this morning (and every morning) as he had fashioned himself into an "alarm."
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Masha

Post by Masha »

ElCid wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 3:45 pm I'm missing the Cat thread.
We have: The Domestic CAT: Feline at its finest!
viewtopic.php?t=3436

It currently runs ninety pages. Most of the early posts are stories of cats but it gradually transitions into mostly images and videos.

Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Masha wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 3:59 pm
ElCid wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 3:45 pm I'm missing the Cat thread.
We have: The Domestic CAT: Feline at its finest!
viewtopic.php?t=3436

It currently runs ninety pages. Most of the early posts are stories of cats but it gradually transitions into mostly images and videos.

Thanks. In my situation, the cat had gone to another part of the house so could not charge & convict him. He would just blame it on the others in house, but they never bother the trees. Good picture though.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

When I think of TCM's decision to do this, I am reminded of Vincent Gardenia as Cosmo Castorini in MOONSTRUCK (a romantic comedy laced throughout with the theme of death): "Everything is temporary! That don't excuse nothin'!"
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Masha wrote: December 1st, 2022, 7:09 am
LostHorizons wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:58 am I was told that guy is a major suck up to either one or all of the mods and they basically act like his censors, deleting anything critical of him. I was told they have been deleting posts for him for years if not even more than a decade at this point. I was told all this by Lawrence a long time ago. Normally, I wouldn’t use names but also the old site is on the way out and also I doubt he cares at all. He can add his two cents on this if he wants.
I suspect that he placed me on his: Ignore list some years ago. It is either that or he simply does not bother to read posts which do not contain his username. I say that because I made a comment concerning the new site: "[...] its domination by an Idi Amin wannabe." and the thread received some attention from a Moderator but my post remained in its entirety.

It is clear that he was given 'insider information' in the past. I received a very offensive email at a time when he was on a jag insulting any person who disagreed with him in general and Christians in particular. That email address was created solely for my participation on the TCM forum and was used nowhere else. I know it did not come from any legitimate staff at TCM because the sender address was spoofed.
Masha, I saw your "Idi Amin" post as well as the one where you referred to someone with "delusions of adequacy." Priceless! Neither post contained his username and neither post was deleted.

It seemed that anything that referenced him (the lung disease) explicitly in a negative way (even comments that could be verified as truthful) on those message boards were being deleted so it's like we had to operate like moviemakers working during the time of the production code to point out the truth about his past behavior.

There was nothing aggressive or false about the comment that Bagel posted or Swithin's response to it , but the moderators chose to delete them.
Last edited by HoldenIsHere on December 4th, 2022, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laffite

Post by laffite »

I am recently told that he now refers himself as "God." (as a sort of secondary moniker behind his regular screen name.) And in Bold.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

laffite wrote: December 4th, 2022, 2:25 pm I am recently told that he now refers himself as "God." (as a sort of secondary moniker behind his regular screen name.) And in Bold.
LOL! And that is exactly what I thought would happen when he "so graciously" took it upon himself to play savior and create a new message board. I knew that being the site creator would essentially put him in charge of everything. That is exactly why I did not join his board. They've already appropriated my I Just Watched... thread, which is exactly what I thought would happen.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

LostHorizons wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:58 am
Cuthbert wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:49 am
LostHorizons wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:32 am

No, I was Sukhov. The deleted comment was something I said in the “TCM message board replacement” thread which was pruned.
I see that the thread was moved to Off Topic and several posts have been deleted. It now says that the thread is closed for comment, although other threads remain alive.

Very disturbing. Makes me wonder about a few things.
I was told that guy is a major suck up to either one or all of the mods and they basically act like his censors, deleting anything critical of him. I was told they have been deleting posts for him for years if not even more than a decade at this point. I was told all this by Lawrence a long time ago. Normally, I wouldn’t use names but also the old site is on the way out and also I doubt he cares at all. He can add his two cents on this if he wants.
I always found him to be a nasty hypocrite who would lecture people who commented about posts they disagreed with that they shouldn't tell other people how to post, while at the same time telling other people how to post if one of the threads he started drifted or if somebody posted something he didn't like.

I'm the same Fedya I was over at the TCM boards, although I don't have an avatar here yet.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

laffite wrote: December 4th, 2022, 2:25 pm I am recently told that he now refers himself as "God." (as a sort of secondary moniker behind his regular screen name.) And in Bold.
Holy sh1t! You ain’t joking! :o I thought you were making a joke or exaggerating. No, if you go to his site and look at his screen name “God” is underneath it. Jesus, that dude has a screw loose:
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Yeah, it’s under the “membership” area. I guess he set the Administrator position to Godhood.