SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
GaryCooper

Re: SPORTS

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

So watching the Rangers at Cubs today there was no seventh inning stretch, no Take Me Out to the Ballgame. Is that part of the new rules too?
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

Thompson wrote: April 9th, 2023, 5:31 pm So watching the Rangers at Cubs today there was no seventh inning stretch, no Take Me Out to the Ballgame. Is that part of the new rules too?
Which team's feed were you watching? If it was the Marquee feed, they would feature it. The Rangers feed probably would not, especially if it's the taped Harry Caray or taped Ernie Banks version.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

umop apisdn wrote: April 9th, 2023, 10:01 pm
Thompson wrote: April 9th, 2023, 5:31 pm So watching the Rangers at Cubs today there was no seventh inning stretch, no Take Me Out to the Ballgame. Is that part of the new rules too?
Which team's feed were you watching? If it was the Marquee feed, they would feature it. The Rangers feed probably would not, especially if it's the taped Harry Caray or taped Ernie Banks version.
Well Umop it seemed to me, and yes I was watching the Rangers network , there was no stretch at all. There was a short commercial and the game went straight into the bottom 7th.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

The song is long, even if it’s just done on the organ . I don’t think they are doing it anymore.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Enjoyed the final round of the Masters. How about Lefty, wow! Rahm was as steady as steel. In 1986 I attended a game at Yankee Stadium on an April Sunday and walked a few blocks after the game and happened upon a bar full of old cronies who talked about old Yankee stuff, especially in the 50s. We all watched Jack win his final Masters. I was able to take a small part in those conversations as I was a kid in the 50s and knew all the players. So fun that was, the guys were great and I got drunk. I hit the sauce pretty hard in those days but not every day (just almost every day). Way to go Lefty, you almost did it. You are practically the only name I remember as I have not kept track. But always the Masters and the course in Augusta. Oh those hilly greens, love them.
Mona
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Thompson wrote: April 9th, 2023, 11:24 pm The song is long, even if it’s just done on the organ . I don’t think they are doing it anymore.
Yep, that's right, Thompson! They're not. And in fact, they've now banned the song being played at any and all MLB games anymore, and this because the word "shame" is in the song's lyrics.

And, I assume you know how promoting the idea of "shame" is now viewed as being insensitive and extremely un-PC!

(...sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

LOL
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Dargo, no that’s game, not shame. Take me out to the ball GAME, for crying out loud. But I tell ya, any more, it’s up in the air, there’s a lot of facial hair, lots of junk they have to discard if’in they draw a walk. Oh right, have they set a time limit for rounding the bases after a home run? Runner goes back to third if he takes too long? Score that a triple, or what??
But I think we both might have it wrong — it’s Come Back Shane.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Oh Dargo I have to apologize for my weak brain . I’m sitting outside smoking a cigarette and mulling over the word “shame” and I didn’t get it until I sang the song in my head. I loved him, Harry, he was just great.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Here it is on 8 April 2023:

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Thompson wrote: April 9th, 2023, 11:24 pm The song is long, even if it’s just done on the organ . I don’t think they are doing it anymore.
I posted a video from YouTube of the 7th inning stretch on April 8, 2023, when the Cubs were playing the Rangers.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Thanks for that info TX.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Harry was pals with Elvis you know. Steve Stone’s book talks about it. Anyway, Take Me Out to the Ballgame seems like such a simple song to sing, everybody and their brother tries to sing it, and think they can sing it, but they can’t. Harry had that unique ability to “sing behind the beat.” On beat, mind you, but behind it.