SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
Dargo

Re: SPORTS

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: January 21st, 2024, 10:57 pm Josh Allen completed 26 passes but good for only 186 yards for an average seven yards for each completed pass. That is far below standard for the NFL. He did throw a couple or so passes downfield but they all failed. The announcers interestingly remarked that both QBs were playing a bit conservative, knowing that a turnover could cost, considering that for most of the game both teams were scoring every possession. Buffalo should have been more aggressive in that final drive, methinks. I guess that's a second guess, but maybe the offensive coordinator might have known.
Actually here laffite and in regard to Allen being "more aggressive" during that final drive, I remember seeing two instances in which he decided to go for the long ball but that went incomplete, but or and at a time in which I noticed a receiver wide open up the middle and just past the first-down markers.

And on a side note about this...this sort of thing brought back memories of all the times I watched another very good QB from the past, Philip Rivers, attempting to get way too much yardage with long passes during a final drive and instead of getting smaller chunks (and yes, even when there was plenty of time left on the clock) and only to fail in his comeback attempts.
laffite wrote: January 21st, 2024, 10:57 pm Unless, unfortunately, they were too intent on running the clock down to score with little time left. A horrible loss for the Bills.
And in regard to this, I'm thinking even IF Bass had made that field goal, there was still 1:47 left on the clock. And so considering Mahomes' long and successful history of final drive comebacks, I think the Bills would've probably ended up losing this game anyway, and especially so because all Mahomes had to do would've been to get the Chiefs back in FG range during a tied score.

(...I mean, remember, in that memorable 2021 Divisional game these two teams had, it only took Mahomes a fraction of that amount of time for him to do this very thing at the end of regulation and before that game went into OT)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: January 21st, 2024, 11:31 pm
laffite wrote: January 21st, 2024, 10:57 pm Josh Allen completed 26 passes but good for only 186 yards for an average seven yards for each completed pass. That is far below standard for the NFL. He did throw a couple or so passes downfield but they all failed. The announcers interestingly remarked that both QBs were playing a bit conservative, knowing that a turnover could cost, considering that for most of the game both teams were scoring every possession. Buffalo should have been more aggressive in that final drive, methinks. I guess that's a second guess, but maybe the offensive coordinator might have known.
Actually here laffite and in regard to Allen being "more aggressive" during that final drive, I remember seeing two instances in which he decided to go for the long ball but that went incomplete, but or and at a time in which I noticed a receiver wide open up the middle and just past the first-down markers.

And on a side note about this...this sort of thing brought back memories of all the times I watched another very good QB from the past, Philip Rivers, attempting to get way too much yardage with long passes during a final drive and instead of getting smaller chunks (and yes, even when there was plenty of time left on the clock) and only to fail in his comeback attempts.
laffite wrote: January 21st, 2024, 10:57 pm Unless, unfortunately, they were too intent on running the clock down to score with little time left. A horrible loss for the Bills.
And in regard to this, I'm thinking even IF Bass had made that field goal, there was still 1:47 left on the clock. And so considering Mahomes' long and successful history of final drive comebacks, I think the Bills would've probably ended up losing this game anyway, and especially so because all Mahomes had to do would've been to get the Chiefs back in FG range during a tied score.

(...I mean, remember, in that memorable 2021 Divisional game these two teams had, it only took Mahomes a fraction of that amount of time for him to do this very thing at the end of regulation and before that game went into OT)
Mahomes is legend for doing that very thing, I agree ; but ... it is not something that can be absolutely presumed. Mahones being behind, with a minute or so left on the clock, is quite horrific to contemplate if you are on the other side. It is the stuff of nightmares.
Mona
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

I understand that in hindsight, one can say that the Bills should have run plays that would have got a few more yards to make it a shorter kick instead of going for a touchdown, but a touchdown would have put the Bills up by 4 so I can understand why the coach called the plays that he did.
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

Fifty years ago, the preliminary rounds of The Superstars in its second incarnation were being held:

I was surprised to find that I once could've competitively contested the above events! (My summer of seventeen was spent lap swimming for fall water polo and winning a tennis club championship in my youth group.)
jamesjazzguitar

Ravens can't win the big game. Chiefs in their 4th SB in the last 5 years. What surprised me the most was the defense for both teams really stepped up.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 28th, 2024, 6:17 pm Ravens can't win the big game. Chiefs in their 4th SB in the last 5 years. What surprised me the most was the defense for both teams really stepped up.
Yep. Who would have guessed only one field goal during the second half?
laffite

Post by laffite »

This was a winnable game except for one man. If I owned the Ravens I would not have back next year. He is too much of an embarrassment. I don't care how good he is, what he is being paid. He's out. I don't him turning up next year. He All year next year he be on the team? He is a reminder of failure. This over-the-plain nonsense is a killer. All he had to do was to fall on the one yard line. Plenty of time left. No hurry. Most NFL players are stupid. No awareness. It would be humiliating to see him on the field next year. I wish him well but he can go play elsewhere.
Mona
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

And now about the second game tonight...

Not that I really cared if the Lions continued on with their Cinderella season this year or not, but I'm YELLIN' at the freakin' TV screen, "NOOOO, don't DO IT! Just KICK the freakin' FIELD GOAL!" when I saw Head Coach Dan "Mr. Aggressive" Campbell, NOT once, but TWICE during the game shun an easy FG for 3 points and instead go for it on 4th and short but FAIL both times, and especially so when during the first instance of this, those 3 points would've extended his team's lead over the Niners at the time by THREE scores!!!

I mean, there's SIX points the Lions could have EASILY had, and what do they ultimately lose BY? Uh-huh, a mere THREE points!!!

(...and so I STILL say, these modern young Head Coaches are SO often SO damn clueless and cluelessly aggressive when it comes to understanding how during a game THE FLOW OF THE GAME at the time should be used to make these kinds of decisions and INSTEAD of relying on what I believe to be the crap science of "Analytics" they all seem to use now days and to rationalize their decisions, BUT which so often just FAIL them!)
jamesjazzguitar

Dargo wrote: January 28th, 2024, 10:29 pm And now about the second game tonight...

Not that I really cared if the Lions continued on with their Cinderella season this year or not, but I'm YELLIN' at the freakin' TV screen, "NOOOO, don't DO IT! Just KICK the freakin' FIELD GOAL!" when I saw Head Coach Dan "Mr. Aggressive" Campbell, NOT once, but TWICE during the game shun an easy FG for 3 points and instead go for it on 4th and short but FAIL both times, and especially so when during the first instance of this, those 3 points would've extended his team's lead over the Niners at the time by THREE scores!!!

I mean, there's SIX points the Lions could have EASILY had, and what do they ultimately lose BY? Uh-huh, a mere THREE points!!!

(...and so I STILL say, these modern young Head Coaches are SO often SO damn clueless and cluelessly aggressive when it comes to understanding how during a game THE FLOW OF THE GAME at the time should be used to make these kinds of decisions and INSTEAD of relying on what I believe to be the crap science of "Analytics" they all seem to use now days and to rationalize their decisions, BUT which so often just FAIL them!)
Not to defend Campbell's final decision to go-for-it (that 2nd time), but the flow of the game at that time, was that the Lion's defense couldn't stop the 49s offense. Thus, not taking the 3-points the first time, when the Lion's D was solid and the 49ers' offense was struggling, was a misjudgment. But that 2nd time, can be viewed as a toss-up (IMO). I.e. Lions needed those 4 "extra" points to counter the likelihood the 49s would score when they got the ball back. But I can see Campbell having the opposite post-game POV: that when his D is playing very well, why not go-for-it, and when it starts to get tried (typically in the late 2nd half), take the points.

I don't fault use of analytics for these decisions but instead lack of situational awareness. I.e. Cambell goes-for-it, PERIOD, without regard to the current situation at-hand.
jamesjazzguitar

Who are you predicting will win the Super Bowl?

I say the 49ers. The Chief's run defense is only average and the 49ers have a sound running game, as well as short passing game.

This will limit the amount of time the best player on the field, Mahomes has to score points. Before that last NFC game, I did have concerns that Purdy might fold when under too much pressure in a must-win game, but as we saw in the second half, he stepped up.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: February 7th, 2024, 6:01 pm Who are you predicting will win the Super Bowl?

I say the 49ers. The Chief's run defense is only average and the 49ers have a sound running game, as well as short passing game.

This will limit the amount of time the best player on the field, Mahomes has to score points. Before that last NFC game, I did have concerns that Purdy might fold when under too much pressure in a must-win game, but as we saw in the second half, he stepped up.
Good points made here James, but of course and as it always is, the team whose offensive line (always THE most unsung and underappreciated part of any team's roster) plays the best, will win the game. And lets also not forget that special teams play and turnovers always have a major impact upon the final score as well.

And as I view both the Offenses and the Defenses of these two teams as pretty much being on par with each other, those last aspects to this game just might and probably will be the deciding factors on who wins it.

(...my pick: while I'll be kind'a sort'a rooting to the Niners, somethin' tells me the Chiefs will win it by a close score...wouldn't it be great if it turns out to be a shootout like that memorable 2021 AFC Divisional game between the Chiefs and the Bills?!)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Btw here James, I hope you know because of this lousy weather you Californians have been sendin' out this way this past week to the Grand Canyon State, I haven't been able to hit the tennis courts at all this week, and so I'm gettin' mighty bored around here lately!!!

(...why can't you guys keep those "Atmospheric Rivers" to yourself over there???!!!) ;)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Dargo wrote: February 7th, 2024, 7:30 pm Btw here James, I hope you know because of this lousy weather you Californians have been sendin' out this way this past week to the Grand Canyon State, I haven't been able to hit the tennis courts at all this week, and so I'm gettin' mighty bored around here lately!!!

(...why can't you guys keep those "Atmospheric Rivers" to yourself over there???!!!) ;)
Maybe you don't get CA. news, but things are pretty messed up and it's not humourous.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: February 7th, 2024, 8:55 pm
Dargo wrote: February 7th, 2024, 7:30 pm Btw here James, I hope you know because of this lousy weather you Californians have been sendin' out this way this past week to the Grand Canyon State, I haven't been able to hit the tennis courts at all this week, and so I'm gettin' mighty bored around here lately!!!

Maybe you don't get CA. news, but things are pretty messed up and it's not humourous.
Sorry, jimimac. I guess that did seem a bit insensitive on my part there, didn't it.

And yes, not only have the local news services here in AZ shown the devastation caused by these recent series of storms there in CA, but so have all networks national news broadcasts as well.

These recent storms there in CA have reminded me of the first winter (1991) I spent after purchasing the house in the South Bay area of L.A., and with that also being a major "El Nino" event year.

That house backed up to a cemented-in (by the Army Corps of Engineers in the late-1950s) flood control channel named the Dominguez Channel and which had been one of the natural drainage features of the L.A. Basin for eons and that eventually flows into the L.A. Harbor. It's about 50 feet across and 30 feet deep and usually has but a trickle of water flowing in it.

Well, during that first winter it rained so hard for a week straight that this channel's flow was extremely rapid and nearly flowing over its sides, and which would've then swamped my back yard and then my house if it had continued rising. Thankfully, it didn't.

And so I guess the point to this story is that I don't remember laughing at this situation at the time either.

(...although I DO remember laughing at MYSELF for even thinking how cool it would be to string up and tie a tow rope to the chain link fence that fenced off this channel and then do a little water skiing on it...my body would had been found floating face down a few days later in the L.A. Harbor IF I would've tried doing that, of course!) LOL
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Okay D-Man, I forgive you.
I have my California grumpy cat face on.
Power outages can partly be blamed on our electric provider.
They are behind in proper maintenance.
Not only are trees coming down but so are some of the poles that hold the wires.
Then our phone company wants to pull the plug on land lines.
California is a mess, but we have a couple of great sports teams.
I’m okay with baseball as it is mostly compatible with my eyesight.
I can’t really follow baseball on the radio, plus it’s only on AM radio.
I think they have FM but I’m too far away.
As for the Super Bowl: