SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
txfilmfan

Re: SPORTS

Post by txfilmfan »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 10:09 am
Dargo wrote: March 21st, 2023, 10:07 pm Wow! Just watched one of the most electric moments I've ever seen in a baseball game!

Ohtani striking out Trout in the bottom of the 9th on a full count with a perfect slider to save the World Championship game for Japan against the U.S.A. and with a final score of 3-2.

(...one for the ages!)
Angel players finally play good enough to win something. I'm not a fan of these games due to the injuries. I'm surprised the contracts with the MLB players allows them to participate. Some are calling to replace the all-star game with this World Championship, held during the middle of the MLB season as a way of gaining more fans to MLB. Nuts IMO.
MLB and the MLBPA are involved in the management of the WBC and were instrumental in its founding. Some players' participation may be prohibited or severely limited (esp. pitchers) due to their contract language or insurance policies, though.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

txfilmfan wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 10:23 am
Dargo wrote: March 21st, 2023, 10:07 pm Wow! Just watched one of the most electric moments I've ever seen in a baseball game!

Ohtani striking out Trout in the bottom of the 9th on a full count with a perfect slider to save the World Championship game for Japan against the U.S.A. and with a final score of 3-2.

(...one for the ages!)
Angel players finally play good enough to win something. I'm not a fan of these games due to the injuries. I'm surprised the contracts with the MLB players allows them to participate. Some are calling to replace the all-star game with this World Championship, held during the middle of the MLB season as a way of gaining more fans to MLB. Nuts IMO.
MLB and the MLBPA are involved in the management of the WBC and were instrumental in its founding. Some players' participation may be prohibited or severely limited (esp. pitchers) due to their contract language or insurance policies, though.
Thanks for that info. I can see why MLB would be involved since it could increase the international fanbase especially in certain countries, like Mexico and Japan. As for the injuries, I don't know of any Dodgers being injured, and since the Astros cheater Altuve was, I guess I shouldn't be such a Debbie-downer! (Yea, this Dodger fan is never going to forgive and forget what happened in that World Series, back in 2017).
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

(...one for the ages!)

PS: I assume Sedona is getting around double the average rainfall this season. We are going to England in April, and I'm still trying to convince the wife to go to Sedona\AZ in May.
Yep, it's been an especially wet winter here as well. Besides all the rains, we've probably had over a foot and a half of snow in total for the season as well here Sedona. And, up in Flagstaff they've set a new record for snowfall this year, and which means they'll probably keep the Snow Bowl ski area open up there on top of Mt. Humphreys until mid-May.

And re your possible Sedona visit, it would be cool if you could talk the wife into it and especially after taking such a long trip to jolly ole Blighty. So where are you guys going over there? Primarily London or will you be traveling to other parts of the U.K.?

(...oh btw...just remembered there will a week in May in which Judie and I will be flying to Philly for a family wedding...can't remember which week that'll be right now, but as soon as Judie returns from the gym today, I'll ask her and let you know)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

PS: I assume Sedona is getting around double the average rainfall this season. We are going to England in April, and I'm still trying to convince the wife to go to Sedona\AZ in May.
She's just returned. We'll be in Philly from May 11th to the 15th.
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

UCLA loses let again to Gonzaga. I'm not sure Drew Timme can make the grade in the NBA, but he was the best player on the court last night.
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Miami is no longer a sleeper.
G.C.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

SEC basketball is an embarassment to the fans of the league.

G.C.
D. W. Griffith
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 2:02 pm Thanks for that info. I can see why MLB would be involved since it could increase the international fanbase especially in certain countries, like Mexico and Japan. As for the injuries, I don't know of any Dodgers being injured, and since the Astros cheater Altuve was, I guess I shouldn't be such a Debbie-downer! (Yea, this Dodger fan is never going to forgive and forget what happened in that World Series, back in 2017).
Die hard Cubs fan here, but I am a baseball fan first. I will never forgive the Astros for cheating through multiple seasons. People try to rationalize Altuve's involvement by saying he didn't use the cheating system. However, he sure was a beneficiary when his cheating teammates were on base and he was driving them in. He's not much of team leader if he couldn't get them to stop cheating, especially when they assign the blame to Carlos Beltran who was only on the 2017 team.

I still say Aaron Judge is the rightful MVP of that season. That championship should have been vacated.

Regarding the WBC, I think it's a fantastic showcase for the sport. I understand frustrations about injuries, but the position players thinks it's worth the sacrifice. I wish the USA had more pitches, but I can see why teams/pitchers would be hesitant with the additional workload and risk of injury.

I had watched a few tournaments and this was the most entertaining one. The Japan Mexico game was riveting with such a memorable finish. Wainwright getting out the bases loaded jam giving up only the one run was a masterful performance.

The Dominican Republic team not doing that well surprised me. I knew Japan would be a force since they've been planning this tournament for 6 years. All 7 of Japan’s games this tournament were watched by over 40% of the country. I've love to go to a WBC game and a game in Japan once in my lifetime.
laffite

Post by laffite »

It would have been nice to have dissolved the Astros. The players to be chosen by other teams in a draft. The league would then put up a notice for a new city to have a baseball team. But it certainly would be difficult. Why is Altuve singled out here, wasn't it a collaborate effort? I am obviously not an expert on this subject.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

No, major league baseball players have been cheating, looking for an advantage, stealing signs, corking bats, doctoring the baseball, eating steroids since day one, sliding into second with their spikes too high, throwing pitches way too inside. I know it's an unpopular viewpoint, but in baseball it's only cheating if you get caught
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Oh i forgot the cocaine era when any pitcher that was any good was dabbling in the nose candy. I!m a Cubs fan too. Fergie Jenkins loved his cocaine.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Then there was the weed craze. All the pitchers on SF Giants smoked it. They had big bongs in the bullpen and joints for breakfast.
Uncle Charlie

Post by Uncle Charlie »

MLB owners and managers must hate the WBC. So many injuries. I’ve always thought it’s all the strength training players due now vs. 50 years ago. Players in the’70’s didn’t lift weights - they smoked cigarettes. Yet somehow they stayed on the field. Last year or the year before, the Yankees set a new record for games missed due to injury. This year, three of their five projected starting pitchers will be on the IL on Opening Day. Look at Giancarlo Stanton. The guy is a beast. A physical marvel. But he hasn’t been able to stay healthy through an entire season since he was in Miami. Maybe the players should reach for a beer instead of a protein shake…