Murder at Glen Athol (1936)

Masha

Post by Masha »

A vacationing detective with a wacky sidekick is trying to write a book about his adventures when he is dragged into the local social scene. They should be his kind of people since the first party he attends ends with multiple murders.

There are many instances when a smooth and very likeable detective spawns a series of movies based on the character. It should surprise no viewer that John Miljan as Detective Bill Holt was a one-off. I have read that he made a career playing villain in Westerns and I can readily believe he was very good as it is very easy to find his looks and manners harsh and borderline despicable.

Iris Adrian is wonderful as the overly-perky brat whom everyone wants to strangle.

Irene Ware was well cast as the love interest but I fear that I must say that her role was slightly larger than her ability to carry it gracefully. I found that she was merely average rather than brilliant.

I believe the major fault of the movie is: James P. Burtis as the wacky sidekick. His performance was so very heavy-handed that it destroyed any humor or finesse in every scene in which he appeared.

The mystery is sufficiently twisty that i held my interest but it will never become a favorite.

6.1/11

It is available on: TubiTV.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya