2023 TCM Film Festival

txfilmfan

Re: 2023 TCM Film Festival

Post by txfilmfan »

speedracer5 wrote: February 10th, 2023, 9:16 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: February 8th, 2023, 11:03 pm CARMEN JONES has been announced as one of the scheduled movies being shown at the festival.

Film historian Donald Bogle will be in attendance and will be presented with the Robert Osborne Award before the screening.

https://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/t ... rne-award/
I saw Carmen Jones was announced. I'm not the biggest fan of Carmen Jones, only because I hate how they dubbed Harry Belafonte's voice. I'm happy that Donald Bogle is receiving the Robert Osborne Award. I'm not sure if Bogle receiving that award is enough of a draw for me to see a movie I'm just meh about. If Harry Belafonte were announced as a special guest, then I would bump Carmen Jones to the top of my list. Who knows, if the other movies scheduled against Carmen Jones aren't exciting, I may be going to that film anyway.
You didn't hear this from me, but I have seen people who show up just for an intro and then leave. Many of the special guests do so (and nearly all of the hosts) because they have other places to be before the film would finish, and occasionally other folks do the same. I'd imagine some of these are media folks who only wanted to hear the intro and/or snap some photos. Sometimes hosts & guests do sit and watch the films. Ann Blyth sat right in front of me for Mildred Pierce, but she and her party left after about 30-45 minutes. Guests' seats are typically very near one of the exits so they can leave without must disturbance. If you see a row of reserved seats near an exit, it's likely that the special guests will sit there.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

speedracer5 wrote: February 10th, 2023, 9:16 pm If Harry Belafonte were announced as a special guest, then I would bump Carmen Jones to the top of my list.
Yipes-I just looked at Harry Belafonte's Wiki page and it says he's 95!! Doubt he's in any kind of condition for Public Speaking! Too bad because he is worth seeing-what a TALENT!
I just found a rare DVD of THE ANGEL LEVINE '70 and cannot wait to see him in it!

That AMERICAN GRAFITTI poster was drawn by awesome Mad Magazine artist Mort Drucker-

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Before the screening of Mildred Pierce at the #TCMFF in 2013, Ann Blyth walked through the lobby of Grauman’s Chinese and chatted with some of her fans. I felt very lucky to spend a few minutes with her and take some photos. One of the festival bloggers said she giggled at some of Veda’s earlier, meaner moments in the film.
A great lady in a marvelous film.

Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote: February 11th, 2023, 12:11 pm Before the screening of Mildred Pierce at the #TCMFF in 2013, Ann Blyth walked through the lobby of Grauman’s Chinese and chatted with some of her fans . . .
I recently caught Ann Blyth in Thunder on the Hill (available on The Criterion Channel as part of a Douglas Sirk collection). She portrayed a "murderess" en route to her execution until Fate intervenes by stranding her at a convent hospital where a determined nun (Claudette Colbert) believes, and tries to prove, that she is innocent.

I think my introduction to Ann Blyth was when she appeared in television commercials for Hostess snacks ("Freshness never tasted so good.").

Last edited by EP Millstone on February 13th, 2023, 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I’ve never seen Thunder on the Hill. Thanks for this recommendation, EP. Sounds intriguing.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

BYE BYE BIRDIE has been announced as one of the scheduled movies being shown at the festival.

AND my fellow New Trier High School graduate Ann-Margret is scheduled to attend the screening!!!

https://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/f ... ye-birdie/

HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

John Waters's HAIRSPRAY has been announced as one of the scheduled movies being shown at the festival with Ricki Lake scheduled to attend.

It would be amazing if John Waters and/or Mink Stole could attend.

https://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/films/hairspray/
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: March 9th, 2023, 2:45 pm John Waters's HAIRSPRAY has been announced as one of the scheduled movies being shown at the festival with Ricki Lake scheduled to attend.

It would be amazing if John Waters and/or Mink Stole could attend.

https://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/films/hairspray/
The Academy Museum is supposed to have a John Waters exhibit later this year. His appearance at the festival would be good advertising.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

speedracer5 wrote: March 9th, 2023, 4:17 pm . . . The Academy Museum is supposed to have a John Waters exhibit later this year. His appearance at the festival would be good advertising.
A John Waters exhibit. With iconic doggie-doo no doubt. Watch where you step.

Several years ago I listened to an interview with John Waters in which he or the interviewer remarked about people who went to their local video store and asked, "We loved Hairspray! What other movies directed by John Waters do you have?"
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

It was announced that OLD ACQUAINTANCE and POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL will no longer be shown at the festival this year.

As Sue Sue Applegate mentioned in her TCM Film Festival Tidbit Travel Blog thread, Angie Dickinson is scheduled to attend the screening of the RIO BRAVO restoration --- which will be the opening night Red Carpet presentation.

speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I am curious what happened with "Old Acquaintance." It's a WB film and was supposed to be shown as part of the WB 100 celebration. I wonder if they couldn't get a hold of a decent enough print to show at the festival? Or maybe they decided to go with another film? Shirley Temple's film is Fox, so maybe Disney was being chintzy with allowing exhibition screening rights. I'm excited to see Angie Dickinson. My husband and I have passes to get us into the opening night film, so we'll get to see her. Ben Mankiewicz is doing an interview with her prior to the screening. While I'm not the biggest fan of Westerns, I was going to the opening night film regardless of what it was. I've never seen "Rio Bravo," so that is even more exciting. I'm just happy the opening film wasn't something I loathe, like "Annie." I think I'd only sit through "Annie" if Carol Burnett were going to be there in person.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

speedracer5 wrote: March 20th, 2023, 10:53 am I am curious what happened with "Old Acquaintance." It's a WB film and was supposed to be shown as part of the WB 100 celebration. I wonder if they couldn't get a hold of a decent enough print to show at the festival? Or maybe they decided to go with another film? Shirley Temple's film is Fox, so maybe Disney was being chintzy with allowing exhibition screening rights. I'm excited to see Angie Dickinson. My husband and I have passes to get us into the opening night film, so we'll get to see her. Ben Mankiewicz is doing an interview with her prior to the screening. While I'm not the biggest fan of Westerns, I was going to the opening night film regardless of what it was. I've never seen "Rio Bravo," so that is even more exciting. I'm just happy the opening film wasn't something I loathe, like "Annie." I think I'd only sit through "Annie" if Carol Burnett were going to be there in person.
Rumor has it that Chris Rock asked that Old Acquaintance not be shown. :smiley_worship:
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

speedracer5 wrote: March 20th, 2023, 10:53 am I am curious what happened with "Old Acquaintance." It's a WB film and was supposed to be shown as part of the WB 100 celebration. I wonder if they couldn't get a hold of a decent enough print to show at the festival? Or maybe they decided to go with another film? Shirley Temple's film is Fox, so maybe Disney was being chintzy with allowing exhibition screening rights.
Yes, no information was given on the TCM site as to why either movie was removed from the festival schedule.
There was only this notice:

Please note that programming is subject to change. We regret the following titles will no longer be presented at the Festival as previously announced:
Old Acquaintance (1943)
Poor Little Rich Girl (19360

The special guests announced so far are:

Paul Thomas Anderson – Director, Screenwriter, Producer
Ann-Margret – Actor
Craig Barron – Visual Effects Artist
Jerry Beck – Author, Animation Historian
Shari Belafonte – Actress, Writer, Singer
Ben Burtt – Sound Designer
Donald Bogle – Film Historian, Author, Professor
Angie Dickinson – Actor
William Friedkin – Director
Bruce Goldstein – Founding Repertory Artistic Director of New York’s Film Forum
Randy Haberkamp – Executive Vice President, Library, Archive and Scitech for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences
Amy Irving – Actor
Lawrence Kasdan – Writer, Director
Ricki Lake – Actor
Leonard Maltin – Film Critic and Historian
Ben Model – Accompanist, Historian
Alexander Payne – Writer, Director
David Pierce – Film Historian and Assistant Chief and Chief Operations Officer at the National Audio-Visual Conservation Center at the Library of Congress
Peter Riegert – Actor, Writer, Director
Steven Soderbergh – Director, Writer, Editor
Steven Spielberg – Director, Producer
George Stevens, Jr. – Writer, Director, Producer, Founding Director of the American Film Institute
Russ Tamblyn – Actor, Artist
Patrizia von Brandenstein – Production Designer
David Wyler – Producer
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I've been stalking the site because I'm anxious to see the final schedule. It's the final piece of the pie, so to speak, of my vacation. I've got every other facet of it planned. Every reservation made. Tickets purchased. But we don't have any idea what we're doing during the festival except seeing "Rio Bravo." Though for sure, we're seeing Ann-Margret whenever her event is scheduled, and I'd like to see Russ Tamblyn, preferably for "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," because I think that'd be more fun to see in the theater. Though I do enjoy "Peyton Place," just for the sheer melodrama of it all.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

speedracer5 wrote: March 20th, 2023, 4:30 pm I've been stalking the site because I'm anxious to see the final schedule. It's the final piece of the pie, so to speak, of my vacation. I've got every other facet of it planned. Every reservation made. Tickets purchased. But we don't have any idea what we're doing during the festival except seeing "Rio Bravo." Though for sure, we're seeing Ann-Margret whenever her event is scheduled, and I'd like to see Russ Tamblyn, preferably for "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," because I think that'd be more fun to see in the theater. Though I do enjoy "Peyton Place," just for the sheer melodrama of it all.
If you're signed up for e-mail notifications about the festival, they'll send you an e-mail when they release the schedule.