2023 TCM Film Festival

speedracer5

2023 TCM Film Festival

Post by speedracer5 »

The 2023 TCM FIlm Festival will be April 13-April 16, 2023. I am so excited, my husband and I are planning on attending the TCMFF for the first time ever next year. We've already started saving. I have also already booked a room within the TCM Film Festival block at the Roosevelt. I booked about two weeks before the official announcement when I read a Twitter post containing the rumored dates. The dates were discovered when someone found the development website for the film festival site. Staying at the Hotel Roosevelt in Hollywood has been on my bucket list and I'm so excited that I'll get to go.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
txfilmfan

Re: 2023 TCM Film Festival

Post by txfilmfan »

See you there! Glad you get to go. The biggest problem you'll have is choosing what to see and when to eat.

Passes go on sale next week. The top two tiered passes sell out quickly, so if those were in your plans, don't dilly-dally. I have always gotten the "Classic" pass, which gets you into everything except the red carpet opening night movie and gala afterwards. One year I did splurge for the "Essential" pass, which adds the opening night movie and a goodie bag.

I haven't missed a year since I started going (except, of course, the pandemic years). It's a tiring, but fun, 4 days.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

The Citi Pre-Sale started just a few minutes ago. They were already out of the Essential level passes allocated to the pre-sale by 10:08 EST.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I don't have a Citi credit card. I bought my passes yesterday during the 9am drop. I got 2 Spotlight passes.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

speedracer5 wrote: December 9th, 2022, 4:48 pm I don't have a Citi credit card. I bought my passes yesterday during the 9am drop. I got 2 Spotlight passes.
Going all in I see on your first visit! :smiley_shades:

I've only bought the Classic passes, except for one year when I bought the Essential pass. I never had a Citi card until this past year, so I've usually had to wait for the general sale. The Essential pass almost always sells out first, and I see that it has again this year.

Since you have the Spotlight pass, you'll spend much less time queueing, as you'll be let in first. You can stroll up to the queue checkpoint just a few minutes before they start letting people in to grab a seat.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

Yes. We decided to go all out. We wanted to get the full experience. I will also admit that the priority seating was a big incentive too. LOL. I can't wait to find out what other films will be there aside from the announced ones, and who the special guests will be.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

speedracer5 wrote: December 9th, 2022, 9:27 pm Yes. We decided to go all out. We wanted to get the full experience. I will also admit that the priority seating was a big incentive too. LOL. I can't wait to find out what other films will be there aside from the announced ones, and who the special guests will be.
I've never not been able to get into a screening I wanted, but I know others have. When they have screenings that are so popular that there are a large number of people that can't get in, they will typically schedule a second showing late Sunday afternoon and evening. These will be listed as TBD/TBA on the schedule, and they will decide those over the weekend.

The theaters in the TCL Multiplex are smaller - the house TCM uses upstairs in the multilplex seats just over 100 or so - maybe 150. It's usually not a problem to get a seat with the other passes, but you do have to queue longer. For the smaller theaters, I usually try to get there an hour ahead. Once you get a queue card you can leave the queue and return just before they start seating. The queue card has a number on it that gives your position in the queue, and they admit you in that order. With your pass, you can skip all that, but you still queue (in a separate line, with the VIPs). It's just that your queue will be much, much shorter, and you'll be let in ahead of the rest of the crowd, and you don't have to queue so far in advance as with the regular queue. If you show up after they've started seating, you get to go in anytime to find a seat.

They'll continue to announce films and guests as time marches on. The final schedule usually isn't published until about two weeks ahead. They typically provide a grid schedule with all the venues, events and films at around that time. You'll also get into the opening night party that will allow you to hobnob with the TCM folks and invited guests that go to the opening night film & party.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

txfilmfan wrote: December 10th, 2022, 1:17 am
speedracer5 wrote: December 9th, 2022, 9:27 pm Yes. We decided to go all out. We wanted to get the full experience. I will also admit that the priority seating was a big incentive too. LOL. I can't wait to find out what other films will be there aside from the announced ones, and who the special guests will be.
I've never not been able to get into a screening I wanted, but I know others have. When they have screenings that are so popular that there are a large number of people that can't get in, they will typically schedule a second showing late Sunday afternoon and evening. These will be listed as TBD/TBA on the schedule, and they will decide those over the weekend.

The theaters in the TCL Multiplex are smaller - the house TCM uses upstairs in the multilplex seats just over 100 or so - maybe 150. It's usually not a problem to get a seat with the other passes, but you do have to queue longer. For the smaller theaters, I usually try to get there an hour ahead. Once you get a queue card you can leave the queue and return just before they start seating. The queue card has a number on it that gives your position in the queue, and they admit you in that order. With your pass, you can skip all that, but you still queue (in a separate line, with the VIPs). It's just that your queue will be much, much shorter, and you'll be let in ahead of the rest of the crowd, and you don't have to queue so far in advance as with the regular queue. If you show up after they've started seating, you get to go in anytime to find a seat.

They'll continue to announce films and guests as time marches on. The final schedule usually isn't published until about two weeks ahead. They typically provide a grid schedule with all the venues, events and films at around that time. You'll also get into the opening night party that will allow you to hobnob with the TCM folks and invited guests that go to the opening night film & party.
Thank you. I have been following the TCMFF a few years now and living vicariously through all those that actually get to go. I'm excited that now I'll be one of those people. I know that Thursday night, we're doing the red carpet/opening night movie/party. I don't even care what the opening night movie is. I hope it's something that I am interested in; but it doesn't even matter because I'm sure that I'll be exciting. I know that I want to see at least one film in the famous Grauman's Chinese Theater, which I know isn't part of the multiplex. I also want to go to at least one of the Poolside screenings and at least one of the midnight movies. I am hoping that The Egyptian's renovations will be complete by the time of the festival because I really want to go to one of the nitrate screenings. I also hope that Disney will allow at least one screening, 1973's Robin Hood would be awesome, because I want to see a movie at the El Capitan. I want to see at least one movie at each venue. Though I'm assuming that the multiplex theaters are probably like most other basic movie theaters, so those I don't care about as much--I'll definitely just be there for the movie. I'm hoping that there will be a couple great silent movie events. I see Hunchback of Notre Dame is playing. I'm hoping that maybe they'll celebrate the 100th birthday of Safety Last! and have a screening and maybe invite Suzanne Lloyd, Harold Lloyd's granddaughter as a presenter.

I'm also hoping that Leonard Maltin will be there and we'll be able to see him as well as all of the TCM hosts.

I can't wait. I'm sure it'll be here before we know it.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

speedracer5 wrote: December 10th, 2022, 5:56 pm

Thank you. I have been following the TCMFF a few years now and living vicariously through all those that actually get to go. I'm excited that now I'll be one of those people. I know that Thursday night, we're doing the red carpet/opening night movie/party. I don't even care what the opening night movie is. I hope it's something that I am interested in; but it doesn't even matter because I'm sure that I'll be exciting. I know that I want to see at least one film in the famous Grauman's Chinese Theater, which I know isn't part of the multiplex. I also want to go to at least one of the Poolside screenings and at least one of the midnight movies. I am hoping that The Egyptian's renovations will be complete by the time of the festival because I really want to go to one of the nitrate screenings. I also hope that Disney will allow at least one screening, 1973's Robin Hood would be awesome, because I want to see a movie at the El Capitan. I want to see at least one movie at each venue. Though I'm assuming that the multiplex theaters are probably like most other basic movie theaters, so those I don't care about as much--I'll definitely just be there for the movie. I'm hoping that there will be a couple great silent movie events. I see Hunchback of Notre Dame is playing. I'm hoping that maybe they'll celebrate the 100th birthday of Safety Last! and have a screening and maybe invite Suzanne Lloyd, Harold Lloyd's granddaughter as a presenter.

I'm also hoping that Leonard Maltin will be there and we'll be able to see him as well as all of the TCM hosts.

The opening night movie is always at the Chinese Theater. I don't think the Egyptian will be ready by the time the festival rolls around. They basically took it down to the bare walls, from what I've seen, and though I can't find a date for the reopening, all I've seen is not to expect it until mid 2023. Even though I'm not a fan of Netflix, I'm glad they are updating the Egyptian. The previous renovation made it quite a strange theater.

You're correct that the TCL multiplex is just like any other multiplex (though on the small side these days, with just 6 screens). TCM typically uses two of the larger houses downstairs and one house upstairs. The multiplex is next door to the Chinese theater. You should also try to get to the American Legion post for a screening. They started using that when the Egyptian became unavailable.

Hopefully there will be a screening at the El Capitan. If there is a Disney property on the schedule, then it will likely be at the El Capitan, and usually on Saturday mornings. Every screening I've been to there has an organ concert before the movie, and sometimes the El Capitan's "curtain show," though this hasn't always been the case.

There's almost always a handful of silents, and typically at least one that has a live orchestra/band accompaniment.

Leonard Maltin is usually there. Hopefully his health and schedule will allow it.

Just make sure you don't follow the example of these two:

speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

kingrat wrote: December 10th, 2022, 7:23 pm Speedracer, the small theaters in the multiplex--Chinese 4 and Chinese 6--are grungy and not very comfortable, without much leg room. Nonetheless, this is where I have seen the most films and have sometimes found cinematic nirvana. Chinese 1 seats about 400 and has been updated to have more comfortable seats and more leg room. Films are assigned to theaters based on estimates of which will prove the most popular. Sometimes the guesses are correct, sometimes not.

The American Legion theater is large and comfortable.

The inevitable law of the way things are: the films you want to see most will be scheduled opposite each other. There are fast food options available in the open-air mall which connects to the Chinese Multiplex.
Thank you! I've only been in the forecourt of Grauman's and I've only seen the El Capitan from the outside. I'm really excited about the festival. I already had my festival hotel booked (I've had it booked since a week before they announced the dates) and I just booked a hotel on the beach and another one in Hollywood for the few days that we'll be there before the festival starts. My husband's regular shift is Thursday-Saturday and every other Wednesday. It's awesome that we're doing an 8-day trip (4/9-4/17) and he only has to take off 3 days of work. I have to take off 7, lol.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to do the Classics studio tour at Warner Brothers, eat dinner at Musso & Frank's (we went there for the first time last year), and go to the zoo in the days before the festival. We're also looking at the Academy Museum. We went last year, so it's not a priority for us, unless there is some amazing new exhibit that wasn't there last year. The car museum across the street from the Academy museum looks really neat, but neither of us are big car people so it's not a massive priority either. My husband also wants to find a Oaxacan Mexican restaurant so he can eat some mole. We also want to try Pink's just because it's so famous. We're also going to hit up the Amoeba Music in Hollywood again, because that store was awesome. We're also spending 2 days/1 night at the beach before making our way over to Hollywood. We only live a 2-hour flight from LA, so it's relatively easy to come back for a long weekend, so we're not going to feel like we're missing out if we don't see everything.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

txfilmfan wrote: December 10th, 2022, 6:34 pm

The opening night movie is always at the Chinese Theater. I don't think the Egyptian will be ready by the time the festival rolls around. They basically took it down to the bare walls, from what I've seen, and though I can't find a date for the reopening, all I've seen is not to expect it until mid 2023. Even though I'm not a fan of Netflix, I'm glad they are updating the Egyptian. The previous renovation made it quite a strange theater.

You're correct that the TCL multiplex is just like any other multiplex (though on the small side these days, with just 6 screens). TCM typically uses two of the larger houses downstairs and one house upstairs. The multiplex is next door to the Chinese theater. You should also try to get to the American Legion post for a screening. They started using that when the Egyptian became unavailable.

Hopefully there will be a screening at the El Capitan. If there is a Disney property on the schedule, then it will likely be at the El Capitan, and usually on Saturday mornings. Every screening I've been to there has an organ concert before the movie, and sometimes the El Capitan's "curtain show," though this hasn't always been the case.

There's almost always a handful of silents, and typically at least one that has a live orchestra/band accompaniment.

Leonard Maltin is usually there. Hopefully his health and schedule will allow it.

I knew that the Egyptian renovation was pretty extensive. I'll assume that if it's not open in time for the festival, that there won't be any nitrate screenings as I read that that is the theater that is equipped for nitrate viewings. I'm glad that I'm guaranteed to go to the Grauman's theater. I've only ever been in the forecourt.

Speaking of Lucy and Ethel and John Wayne's footprints, I'm hoping that there really are William Holden footprints. I want to sit on it (except that might be a bad idea, but maybe I'll risk it for a minute), just so I can say "I'm sitting on Bill Holden." Maybe I'll find John Wayne's footprints and get my husband to take a photo of me pretending to steal them.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

speedracer5 wrote: December 10th, 2022, 8:40 pm

Speaking of Lucy and Ethel and John Wayne's footprints, I'm hoping that there really are William Holden footprints. I want to sit on it (except that might be a bad idea, but maybe I'll risk it for a minute), just so I can say "I'm sitting on Bill Holden." Maybe I'll find John Wayne's footprints and get my husband to take a photo of me pretending to steal them.
I'm afraid you'd have just as much a chance of running into Bill Holden at the Derby, causing a server to dump food on him, putting on a putty nose and glasses and catching your nose on fire. Holden never had a handprint/footprint ceremony at Grauman's.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

txfilmfan wrote: December 10th, 2022, 9:34 pm
speedracer5 wrote: December 10th, 2022, 8:40 pm

I'm afraid you'd have just as much a chance of running into Bill Holden at the Derby, causing a server to dump food on him, putting on a putty nose and glasses and catching your nose on fire. Holden never had a handprint/footprint ceremony at Grauman's.
That's a shame. I remember trying to match my footprints in the forecourt and since I was wearing sandals and most of the women's prints were made with heels, I looked like I had enormous feet compared to everyone. I am also wondering if the prints have shrunk with age? I'm not sure if cement changes like that over time. But it was still really exciting to think that at this moment I'm standing in the exact same spot as someone like Marilyn Monroe had once stood.

I can't wait until we start getting more updates about the festival. I'm looking forward to March when the schedule is released. My husband and I will have to work together to make the tough decisions. He is not as much of a classic film fanatic as I am, but he does enjoy the films and knows who the stars are and even has his own favorites. We're going to stick together throughout the whole festival, so our final schedule will be an exercise in teamwork and compromise, lol. I already told him that if for whatever reason "The Long Long Trailer" (my #1 favorite movie ever) is playing, I don't care what is scheduled against it, we are seeing it. That is one of my dreams, to see this movie in the theater.
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

speedracer5 wrote: December 11th, 2022, 1:00 pm I already told him that if for whatever reason "The Long Long Trailer" (my #1 favorite movie ever) is playing, I don't care what is scheduled against it, we are seeing it. That is one of my dreams, to see this movie in the theater.
You may be in for some luck. Warner Archive is releasing The Long, Long Trailer on Blu-ray in January 2023. They often screen restorations at the film festival.

WAC released Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1931) in October 2022 and it has already been announced that it will be featured in 2023. The new restorations of Giant and A Star is Born (1937) debuted at the 2022 festival and were released later in 2022.

I hope you get your wish! :)