Film Noir Review: I Walk Alone (1947)

GaryCooper

Film Noir Review: I Walk Alone (1947)

Post by GaryCooper »

Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas are a unique duo in film history. They aren’t comically inclined, like Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau, nor do they showcase the chummy camaraderie that made Paul Newman and Robert Redford such a likable pair. Their collaborations were terse, gritty, and barring the goofy swan song Tough Guys (1986), they rarely saw eye to eye.

> http://www.classicmoviehub.com/blog/fil ... lone-1947/
Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
EP Millstone

Re: Film Noir Review: I Walk Alone (1947)

Post by EP Millstone »

GaryCooper wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 8:26 amBurt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas . . . rarely saw eye to eye.
That's because Lancaster was considerably taller than Douglas. :wink:

"Kirk Douglas reportedly wore pretty substantial lifts in his boots and was miffed one time when his buddy Burt Lancaster swiped them as a practical joke just before they had a scene together. Lancaster being a good half a head taller, the tech crew improvised and put Douglas on a box."

Hollywood Heights: The Ups, Downs And In-Betweens
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
jamesjazzguitar

Re: Film Noir Review: I Walk Alone (1947)

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

I Walk Alone has the solid noir theme of the new school of crime (using accountants and lawyers instead of thugs) with Douglas as the leaders and just out of prison Lancaster as the old-school type of criminal. The issue I have is the ending were Douglas goes all old-school. This change just wasn't logical. A better, more true to noir ending, would have Lancaster realizing he can't beat Douglas at the new school crime game and with both meeting their faith.