By the Law (1926)

BunnyWhit

By the Law (1926)

Post by BunnyWhit »

By the Law (1926) is a Soviet chamber film written by Lev Kuleshov and Viktor Shklovsky and directed by Kuleshov. It is based on two short stories by Jack London, "The Unexpected" and "Just Meat". The story is of five gold prospectors in the Yukon. One man murders two of the others, leaving the remaining couple to decide what to do. Should they risk waiting until the thaw and take the matter to the authorities, or should they administer justice themselves?

The film perfectly captures the harsh, bleak environment, and it is visually stunning. Emotions run high (read: certainly not a comedy), as is the case with all London stories, and you might find yourself wondering whom to favor. By the Law is currently available on YouTube, and I highly recommend.
EP Millstone

Re: By the Law (1926)

Post by EP Millstone »

BunnyWhit wrote: November 19th, 2022, 2:50 pm By the Law (1926) is a Soviet chamber film written by Lev Kuleshov and Viktor Shklovsky and directed by Kuleshov.
Thank you, BunnyWhit!

. . . and here it is!

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
BunnyWhit

Post by BunnyWhit »

EPM -- Did you watch it? Have you seen it before? Do you LOVE it?
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

BunnyWhit wrote: November 20th, 2022, 12:35 am EPM -- Did you watch it? Have you seen it before? Do you LOVE it?
BunnyWhit,

I watched the YouTube clip that I linked to in my earlier response. For a movie that is almost 100 years old, the presentation provided by Soviet films / Retro movies looks amazing.

Not only had I never seen By the Law before, I had never even heard of it! Thank you for introducing me to it!

I found the story riveting; the direction by Lev Kuleshov artful; cinematography by Konstantin Kuznetsov stunning; and the performances by the three, main actors powerful, particularly the acting by Aleksandra Khokhlova. The claustrophobic cabin set and tense situation, for me, evoked The Hateful Eight. In turn, the moments when the male and female "jailers" fought to stay awake while guarding their dangerous prisoner predated a similar scene in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

An outstanding example of silent cinema, say I!
BunnyWhit

Post by BunnyWhit »

EP Millstone wrote: November 20th, 2022, 7:57 pm
BunnyWhit wrote: November 20th, 2022, 12:35 am EPM -- Did you watch it? Have you seen it before? Do you LOVE it?
BunnyWhit,

I watched the YouTube clip that I linked to in my earlier response. For a movie that is almost 100 years old, the presentation provided by Soviet films / Retro movies looks amazing.

Not only had I never seen By the Law before, I had never even heard of it! Thank you for introducing me to it!

I found the story riveting; the direction by Lev Kuleshov artful; cinematography by Konstantin Kuznetsov stunning; and the performances by the three, main actors powerful, particularly the acting by Aleksandra Khokhlova. The claustrophobic cabin set and tense situation, for me, evoked The Hateful Eight. In turn, the moments when the male and female "jailers" fought to stay awake while guarding their dangerous prisoner predated a similar scene in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

An outstanding example of silent cinema, say I!
I totally agree. I have to say, the shooting scene is phenomenal and so real. The landing, the plate of beans -- WOW! (I don't want to give too much away for anyone else who might want to give it a look.)

This one really impressed me, and I know I'll watch it again soon. I'm glad you liked it as well.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

. . . I have to say, the shooting scene is phenomenal and so real. The landing, the plate of beans -- WOW! (I don't want to give too much away for anyone else who might want to give it a look.)
Yes, that scene is very stylistic, artfully suggesting gruesome violence without explicitly and graphically showing it. Masterful filmmaking!