Marion Davies on TCM

HoldenIsHere

Re: Marion Davies on TCM

Post by HoldenIsHere »

LostHorizons wrote: January 4th, 2023, 1:02 am
HoldenIsHere wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 2:29 pm I'm looking forward to seeing LITTLE OLD NEW YORK.

I enjoy Marion Davies's silent movies very much, but I don't really care for her talkies ---- but that's more about the material than about her.
I was this many years old when I learned there was a silent era actor named Harrison Ford. :o Looks interesting.
Both Harrison Fords have a star on the Walk of Fame on Hollywood Blvd. Some people think both stars belong to the "Han Solo" Harrison Ford.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

HoldenIsHere wrote: January 4th, 2023, 11:27 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 2:29 pm I'm looking forward to seeing LITTLE OLD NEW YORK.

I enjoy Marion Davies's silent movies very much, but I don't really care for her talkies ---- but that's more about the material than about her.
I was this many years old when I learned there was a silent era actor named Harrison Ford. :o Looks interesting.
Both Harrison Fords have a star on the Walk of Fame on Hollywood Blvd. Some people think both stars belong to the "Han Solo" Harrison Ford.
Don't most "stars" have the DOB and DOD (when applicable)? If that is the case I don't see how anyone could believe the Ford that was born in 1884 and died in 1957 was Han Solo Ford (but I'm sure there are a few!).
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 5th, 2023, 12:06 pm Don't most "stars" have the DOB and DOD (when applicable)? If that is the case I don't see how anyone could believe the Ford that was born in 1884 and died in 1957 was Han Solo Ford (but I'm sure there are a few!).
Stars on Hollywood Boulevard do not have birthdates and dates of death.

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 5th, 2023, 12:06 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: January 4th, 2023, 11:27 pm

Don't most "stars" have the DOB and DOD (when applicable)? If that is the case I don't see how anyone could believe the Ford that was born in 1884 and died in 1957 was Han Solo Ford (but I'm sure there are a few!).
No, stars on the Walk of Fame only have the person's name and a symbol indicating the category for which the star was awarded. Both Harrison Fords have the camera symbol since both were awarded stars for their work in movies.

Here are photos of both stars side by side:

drednm

Post by drednm »

Another jump of a few years for the next two silents (Jan 10) with The Patsy and Show People, both 1928.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

drednm wrote: January 6th, 2023, 7:39 am Another jump of a few years for the next two silents (Jan 10) with The Patsy and Show People, both 1928.
I sure hope these aren't new versions, as I copied all of them from last TCM broadcasts & enjoyed them all.
drednm

Post by drednm »

TikiSoo wrote: January 6th, 2023, 8:57 am
drednm wrote: January 6th, 2023, 7:39 am Another jump of a few years for the next two silents (Jan 10) with The Patsy and Show People, both 1928.
I sure hope these aren't new versions, as I copied all of them from last TCM broadcasts & enjoyed them all.
Same versions TCM always shows ... from the Warners/MGM library....
drednm

Post by drednm »

The Marion Davies salute continues tonight with two more silents: the comedy classics The Patsy and Show People.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

What was Davies first sound film? Is it on tonight?
drednm

Post by drednm »

First talkie was the Oscar-nominated Hollywood Revue of 1929. First starring talkie was Marianne, which was made first as a silent film with Davies starring with Oscar Shaw and then completely remade as a talkie with Lawrence Gray as co-star. The silent version was shown in the sticks and overseas and was released like a month before the talkie version ... which was a hit. The silent version survives.

Davies' first attempt at a talkie was The Five O'Clock Girl with Charles King, Joel McCrea, Aileen Pringle, George K. Arthur, and Polly Moran. A very early attempt by MGM before it even had a sound stage. Scheduling problems for stage time and recording equipment caused chaos. Oscar Shaw was dumped as leading man and singer in favor of Charles King (The Broadway Melody). MGM also dumped director Alfred Green in favor of Robert Z. Leonard after Green proved to be unsuitable.

This one was also started as a silent but then re-started as a talkie. Producer William Randolph Hearst clashed with MGM head Louis B. Mayer about the money being spent and no one really knew what they were doing. Screenwriter Frances Marion worked on daily changes to the script. While some sources say the film was abandoned mid-shoot, others claim it was quietly shelved after completion and still survives in the MGM vault.

The film was to be a first major role for McCrea, who had appeared as an extra in Davies' The Fair Co-Ed in 1927. Davies was slated to sing three songs from the original Broadway production: "Thinking of You," "Up in the Clouds," and " Who Did? You Did."
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Thanks.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:)
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

was "mr6666" @ TCM
drednm

Post by drednm »

The third night of the salute to Marion Davies kicks off Tuesday at 8pm Eastern with several of her best MGM talkies like The Bachelor Father, Five and Ten, Blondie of the Follies, and Going Hollywood.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

drednm wrote: January 15th, 2023, 8:46 am The third night of the salute to Marion Davies kicks off Tuesday at 8pm Eastern with several of her best MGM talkies like The Bachelor Father, Five and Ten, Blondie of the Follies, and Going Hollywood.
Big fan of these 4 films. Looking forward to this Tuesday.