The Forty Guns "director's cut"

LostHorizons

The Forty Guns "director's cut"

Post by LostHorizons »

The Criterion essay for the film includes this brief mention of an unofficial director's cut from Sam Fuller:

>Regardless, Andrew Sarris reported that Fuller later so strongly preferred the alternate ending that he once publicly screened the film without the reconciliation of Jessica and Griff—his own version of a director’s cut.

Did he stop the film right at the part where Drummond and her brother are shot or was there more editing to other scenes as well? I wish Criterion would have found Mr. Fuller's personal film cannister mentioned here because I would enjoy the film a lot more with Drummond's character dying and the hero being completely remorseless about it. The film's ending as is I find to be incredibly mediocre. Since the above mentioned director's cut is unofficial I see why they did not put in that version though I do wish they would have included it as an extra. The documentary about Sam Fuller they did include is really boring and also has lots of gross close ups of really nasty, unkempt looking people (the African American guy with lots of sweat running down his face could have used makeup and also there's another guy later on who has really put of control ear hair that I couldn't get past). That documentary definitely did not need to be so high definition.