TCM Premieres....

Discussion of programming on TCM.
TikiSoo

Re: TCM Premieres....

Post by TikiSoo »

laffite wrote: July 1st, 2023, 11:56 pm
ziggy6708a wrote: July 1st, 2023, 11:14 pm just 2....INSIDE MOVES & GARDEN OF DELIGHTS
(& you're welcome)
I know you have been doing this as long time and I have, inexplicably, never paid much heed. Now I find it very interesting to know premiers and will automatically set the DVR.. Thanks, Ziggy, I will be looking forward to your next splash.
I've followed this "Premieres" thread in exactly that way for years-really helps me catch a movie I may have overlooked! Thanks Ziggy!
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

SUN., 7-9

(times ET)

8:00
pm

The Wheelchair (1960) aka ‘El cochecito’
1h 21m | Comedy

..., a retired old man, decides to buy a motorized disabled stroller since all his pensioner friends own one. His family strongly refuses him to purchase the vehicle, so don Anselmo decides to take extreme measures to achieve his goal…

Director
Marco Ferreri
Cast
Jose Isbert, Pedro Porcel, J Lopez Vazquez

"....one cannot help but connect the events that happen to Don Anselmo with the social and political upheaval taking place at the time in Spain. However, the film is in fact not recognized for its message but for the stupid censorship it had to endure. To avoid giving away too many spoilers, let's just say that the actual ending of this black comedy is very dark and somewhat perverse, so much so that it was originally removed and changed to a happier conclusion. I personally don't understand the reason for censorship, since this dark ending isn't shown, but rather implied...
All in all, as an oldie film, it is well made and occasionally entertaining, although nothing special...."

https://letterboxd.com/film/the-wheelchair/

9:45
pm

The Crippled Masters (1979)

".... film stars handicapped martial artists Jackie Conn and Frankie Shum as two men, one without arms and another with withered legs, who train in kung fu and seek revenge upon the teacher who made them disabled. ...

Director
Chi Lo
Cast
Sung-Chuan Shen, Chao-Ming Kang, Chiu Ho

"....Nick Hartel of DVD Talk called the film "equal parts exploitation, high camp, and crowd-pleasing action".[1] Though criticizing its "paper-thin plot", he concluded that The Crippled Masters "is not high-art, nor a great martial arts film in the technical sense when compared to a Shaw Brothers film or Bruce Lee classic, but it's still very entertaining, exciting, and doesn't take itself too seriously."...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crippled_Masters

:smiley_huh:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:)
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

THURS., 7-13 TCM Spotlight: B Movies...

(times ET)

pm

Identity Unknown (1945)
1h 11m

Near the end of World War II in Europe, a soldier suffering from amnesia is on a hospital ship being helped by Major Williams, a medical doctor. The soldier was the only survivor of four infantrymen after German dive bombers destroyed the farm house they were fighting from. When the four men's dog tags were found afterwards, they had been blown off their bodies, and the Army does not know which of the four the surviving soldier is.

The soldier, calling himself Johnny March (Arlen), tries to discover his true identity.....

Director
Walter Colmes
Cast
Richard Arlen, Cheryl Walker, Roger Pryor
"....Arlen is great in such roles. The plot itself is full of some contrivances and holes, but the characters are multi dimensional and very credible, which makes for the best films, credible characters in incredible circumstances.

The low key atmosphere works great to help sustain our interest, because this is a mystery above all else, and we have a sneaking suspicion how it will turn out, but not the exact outcome.

Everything is done beautifully, and this works like a charm because you truly care about not only our unidentified soldier, but also about all the characters. A directorial achievement. A hidden gem...."
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037811/re ... _=tt_ov_rt

9:30
pm

Dead Man's Eyes (1944)
1h 4m

When an artist is blinded, his fiancée's father offers an operation to restore his sight. When the benefactor suddenly dies, the artist becomes a suspect....

No Description available
Director
Reginald Leborg
Cast
Lon Chaney [jr.], Jean Parker, Paul Kelly
".... Chaney is great in this series. I'm sure he enjoyed getting a break from the monster movies he was making at this time. He gives his all in every Inner Sanctum movie. A really good cast here to back him up. Jean Parker is lovely as always. Thomas Gomez, Paul Kelly, and Jonathan Hale are all great support. Acquanetta is nice to look at but probably the worst actress Universal had in any of their movies. Her monotone line delivery is dreadful.

This isn't one of the best of the series but it's good. The biggest problem, aside from Acquanetta's poor acting, is that the mystery part is unsurprising. The killer is obvious, despite all of the red herrings they have in place. Still, it's fun and fans of the series and Chaney will enjoy it...."
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036749/re ... _=tt_ov_rt

early FRI., 7-14

1:15
am

Prison Ship (1945)
58m | War

"At the end of WW2, a Japanese freighter sails with Allied prisoners as cargo but, sensing doom, the prisoners plan to overpower their guards and capture the prison-ship."

Director
Arthur Dreifuss
Cast
Nina Foch, Robert Lowery, Richard Loo

"....The premise of the movie is based on fact. Japanese ships transporting prisoners-of-war during World War 2 did indeed offer themselves up as decoy targets, hoping to draw the US submarines away from their desired cargo ships and warships.

From that point the movie becomes a feel good exercise for an American audience, that by 1945 had cultivated a deep loathing for their enemy, and wished to see their own servicemen triumph against any and all impossible odds.

By 1945 Richard Loo was able to play his role blindfolded. Between late 1941 through to 1945 he was in 34 movies, invariably as the bad guy. In this movie Loo was the standout, the rest of the cast were merely competent.

If you have a spare hour, have a look, it's worthwhile for a fan of the genre...."
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038001/re ... _=tt_ov_rt

:smiley_chinrub:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

THURS., 7-20

(times ET)

5:30
am

Fireball 500 (1966)
1h 32m | Comedy

Two race car drivers vie for the same girl as they compete in a cross-country race.
Director
William Asher
Cast
Frankie Avalon, Annette Funicello, Fabian

"... Los Angeles Times said the film "leaves American International's beach formula pretty much intact despite William Asher's attempt to inject some sophistication into his story" but thought it was "always easy to watch" with "a brisk tempo, a stylish verve that leaps over large holes in the story."[9]
Bosley Crowther of The New York Times called it "a real turkey... one old bird that should have been cremated, not cooked."....

8:00 Spotlight: B movies...
pm

The Preview Murder Mystery (1936)
1h

plot follows a studio public relations man who attempts to trap a killer using television technology, allowing on-screen glimpses of technicians like Florey's cinematographer Karl Struss. ...
Director
Robert Florey
Cast
Frances Drake, Reginald Denny, Gail Patrick

"....By "B"-picture standards, production values are right out of the box. Not only are many of the multiple sets absolutely crowded with extra players but Florey has invented lots of inside gags. As might be expected he has used some of his technicians to augment the crowd, but has enjoyably switched their roles. Thus the assistant director Fritz Collings appears on camera as the sound man, while director of photography Karl Struss has been demoted to camera operator and film editor James Smith can be glimpsed as an assistant in his own cutting-room.

Needless to say, the whole movie was lensed on "location" inside Paramount Studios itself. These are the real sound stages, this is the real back lot, those are the real Paramount gates....
The screenplay offers not only a tingling, fast-moving, hair-raising mystery thriller but a whole gallery of fascinating characters creatively brought to life by a group of surprisingly charismatic (if second-string) players.....
It's obvious that Florey had a lot of fun making this picture......"
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028136/re ... _=tt_ov_rt

:smiley_chinrub:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

SUN., 7-23

(times ET)

9:45
pm

Deliverance (1919)
26m

silent film which tells the story of the life of Helen Keller and her teacher, Annie Sullivan. It stars Etna Ross, Tula Belle, Edith Lyle, Betty Schade, Sarah Lind, Ann Mason and Jenny Lind. The film also features appearances by Helen Keller, Anne Sullivan...

Director
George Foster Platt
Cast
Little Etna Ross, Edythe Lyle, Roy Stewart

see : https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/493468/ ... /#synopsis

2:00 TCM Imports....
am

An Actor's Revenge (1963)
1h 54m | Drama

A female impersonator in a Kabuki troupe, upon reaching the age of maturity, is obligated to avenge the death of his parents.

Director
Kon Ichikawa
Cast
Kazuo Hasegawa, Fujiko Yamamoto, Ayako Wakao

".....Revenge of a Kabuki Actor hits us immediately with a wild mix of visual and acting styles. The wide Kabuki stage proscenium creates an even more elongated frame within the 2:35 DaieiScope image. Some of the night exteriors are filmed on sets almost as stylized at those in the theater. The actors and merchants plot in formal sitting rooms, while flashbacks transport us to grisly suicide scenes from the past. A quick-cut montage shows starving peasants rioting for rice. A couple of impressive swordfights are included as well -- Ohatsu is excited to see a real sword battle, instead of one of those fakes from the Edo stage! Finally, when Yukinojo disguises himself to terrorize one of the evil merchants, director Ichikawa uses classic lighting tricks more suited to a Japanese ghost story....."

see: https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/66784/a ... eId=216578

:)
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

THURS., 7-27 'B' movies....

(times ET)

pm

Lighthouse (1947)
1h 2m

complicated love triangle at a lighthouse
https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/81398/l ... /#synopsis

Director
Frank Wisbar
Cast
Don Castle, June Lang, John Litel

"....A melodrama with film noir touches, Lighthouse is one of the lost masterpieces of cult director Frank Wisbar. The expatriate filmmaker had his roots in the German Expressionist movement, beginning as a writer/producer for UFA. He left for America in 1939 after his work met with disapproval from the Nazi government. Many of the stylistic touches in Lighthouse appeared a year before in his horror classic Strangler of the Swamp (1946). Leading lady June Lang ....

see: https://www.moviezyng.com/lighthouse-19 ... 9218783295

11:45
pm

Convict's Code (1939)
1h 23m

In order to eliminate football player Dave Tyler from a crucial game, gamblers frame him for a bank robbery. After serving three years in prison, Dave is released on parole and sets out to find who framed him. He is hired as a chauffeur by Greg Warren, an investment broker who, unknown to Dave, is the man for whom he has been looking. .....
https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/71481/c ... e#synopsis

Director
Lambert Hillyer
Cast
Robert Kent, Anne Nagel, Sidney Blackmer

"..... Cheesy, clearly at the end and probably not a film to watch unless you are a B-movie fan, too.

By the way, the best thing about the film is a bit role played by Maude Eburne. She plays the most amazingly ambivalent landlady I've ever seen ....

see: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031179/re ... _=tt_ov_rt

:?
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

ziggy6708a wrote: July 27th, 2023, 4:41 pm THURS., 7-27 'B' movies....

(times ET)

pm

Lighthouse (1947)
1h 2m

complicated love triangle at a lighthouse
https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/81398/l ... /#synopsis

Director
Frank Wisbar
Cast

"....A melodrama with film noir touches, Lighthouse is one of the lost masterpieces of cult director Frank Wisbar. The expatriate filmmaker had his roots in the German Expressionist movement, beginning as a writer/producer for UFA. He left for America in 1939 after his work met with disapproval from the Nazi government. Many of the stylistic touches in Lighthouse appeared a year before in his horror classic Strangler of the Swamp (1946). Leading lady June Lang ....

Thanks for the heads-up here. ziggy! This one sounds intriguing. I think I'll set up my DVR for it.

However, and after hittin' that link to it and just from this poster for this flick, I take it George Brent was somehow left off the credits, eh?! ;)...

(...'cause if THAT is supposed to be "John Litel" there, whoever drew that poster EITHER wasn't very good at portraits and/or thought George Brent should've gotten the part instead...am I RIGHT or what here, ol' buddy?!...OH and btw, John Litel didn't look like Don Ameche EITHER...now there's ya an old TCM boards inside joke for ya!) ;) LOL
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: July 27th, 2023, 5:23 pm

Director
Frank Wisbar
Cast

Thanks for the heads-up here. ziggy! This one sounds intriguing. I think I'll set up my DVR for it.

However, and after hittin' that link to it and just from this poster for this flick, I take it George Brent was somehow left off the credits, eh?! ;)...

(...'cause if THAT is supposed to be "John Litel" there, whoever drew that poster EITHER wasn't very good at portraits and/or thought George Brent should've gotten the part instead...am I RIGHT or what here, ol' buddy?!...OH and btw, John Litel didn't look like Don Ameche EITHER...now there's ya an old TCM boards inside joke for ya!) ;) LOL
[/quote]

That is Don Castle on the right, and Litel on the left. Castle is the one that some say looks like Gable or Brent.
Last edited by jamesjazzguitar on July 27th, 2023, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 27th, 2023, 5:47 pm
That is Don Castle on the right, and Litel on the left. Castle is the one that some says looks like Gable or Brent.
Yep, when Eddie Muller showed the film "The Guilty" last year(I think it was), he also made mention of the fact of Don Castle looking a lot like Gable during his wraparounds for that movie.

And so, IF the man on the left is instead supposed to be Litel, then once again I'll suggest the artist who drew this poster was not very good at portraits, as that also does not look anything like John Litel here...

And besides the idea that IF the guy on the right(or in the center) IS supposed to be Castle, then why does HE look almost exactly like George Brent and far less so Clark Gable in that poster?

Bottom line: Yeah, while you might be right here and maybe I did have the actors identified in reverse order here, the artist who drew this poster sure wasn't very good at faces.

(...OH, and btw...I never thought Don Castle looked like..wait for it again..Don Ameche EITHER!!!) ;) LOL
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Btw again...yeah yeah, sorry to go on about this, BUT...

Ya know who the guy on the left ACTUALLY looks more like in profile, or at least looks a hell of lot MORE like than John Litel anyway?

Don Taylor

(...you know, the actor who played Liz Taylor's groom in 'Father of the Bride', and who William Holden helps escape at the end of 'Stalag 17'...that's who)
Last edited by Dargo on July 27th, 2023, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Lots of blondes following tonight's "B" movies, but the best "Blonde" movie is sadly absent. So this white man won't be browsing TCM tonight.

jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: July 27th, 2023, 6:40 pm Btw again...yeah yeah, sorry to go on about this, BUT...

Ya know who the guy on the left ACTUALLY looks more like in profile, or at least looks a hell of lot MORE like than John Litel anyway?

Don Taylor

(...you know, the actor who played Liz Taylor's groom in 'Father of the Bride', and who William Holden helps escape at the end of 'Stalag 17'...that's who)
Well, just another movie promotion poster where the artist does a poor job of resembling the actors being featured. (I say that is more likely than not based on the posters I have seen at Larry Edmunds Bookshop in Hollywood and when surfing the web).

As for Don Castle: here is one of the first things that came up on Wiki:

"The actor who resembled Clark Gable became close friends with The Guilty co-star Bonita Granville and her husband Jack Wrather who was a successful businessman and film producer".

The guy wasn't even a good actor. Looks like the very rich Jack Wrather and his wife Nancy Drew Bonita, helped his career to be what it was (which wasn't really much).
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 27th, 2023, 7:03 pm
The guy wasn't even a good actor. Looks like the very rich Jack Wrather and his wife Nancy Drew Bonita, helped his career to be what it was (which wasn't really much).
Yeah, I remember being less than impressed with his acting when Muller showed 'The Guilty'. In fact, I also remember thinking his acting was so bad that he almost made that other "poor man's Clark Gable" of that time, James Craig, look fairly good by comparison.

(...guess we'll see if he's any better at all after watching 'Lighthouse')
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I'm attracted to anything maritime so I do love lighthouses but the one in LIGHTHOUSE has to be the ugliest, least picturesque I've ever seen onscreen or off!
The best thing about this dull movie is old pro John Litel who can actually act and show real human emotion. That's more than I can say for the wooden June Lang (I remember her only as the pert blonde teenage niece of Edmond Lowe in 1932's CHANDU THE MAGICIAN) and that silly Clark Gable lookalike. I won't give spoilers so will just say that I hope a certain character was able to change the wallpaper and convince another person to give up the Navy cots in favor of a double bed, lol.