Post by ziggy6708a »

late FRI., 12-2 Underground.......

(times ET)

4:00
am

Krull (1983)
2h 1m | Action
In a fantasy adventure, set in a world peopled by creatures of myth and magic
follows Prince Colwyn and a fellowship of companions who set out to rescue his bride, Princess Lyssa, from a fortress of alien invaders who have arrived on their home planet.

Director
Derek Cracknell
Cast
Lysette Anthony, Gerard Naprous, Bill Weston

"...On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 30% based on reviews from 23 critics.[18] On Metacritic the film has a score of 45 out of 100, based on reviews from 10 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews."[19] The film made over $16.5 million in the US,[20] failing to bring back its reported budget of $27–30 million.[1][7]: 76  However, it has gained a cult following over the years since its release...
Variety called Krull a "blatantly derivative hodgepodge of Excalibur meets Star Wars."[1] They conclude that the "professionalism of director Peter Yates, the large array of production and technical talents and, particularly, the mainly British actors keep things from becoming genuinely dull or laughable."[1] Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel, reviewing Krull on their show At the Movies, gave the film two thumbs down and called it "one of the most boring, nonsensical, illogical fantasies in a long time.".......

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krull_(film)#Reception

:roll:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Re: TCM Premieres....

Post by ziggy6708a »

Krull.jpg
Krull.jpg (26.99 KiB) Viewed 8640 times
sorry for 2x pic......trying to get used to it here
:oops:
Attachments
Krull.jpg
Krull.jpg (26.99 KiB) Viewed 8640 times
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

TUES., 12-6

8:00
pm (ET) & 12:15 am

Max Steiner: Maestro of Movie Music (2021)
TV-14

Max Steiner arrived in America as a penniless musician from Europe at the beginning of the last century. After a productive career on Broadway he headed west to Hollywood and introduced the musical underscore. He worked on over 300 films, including timeless classics such as Gone with the Wind, King Kong and Casablanca. He was nominated for over 24 Academy Awards and won three. His legacy lives on today through the many composers who followed in his footsteps..........

Director
Diana Friedberg
Cast
Diana Friedberg, Lionel Friedberg

"......Raised in the capital of Western music, Vienna, then moving to Broadway musicals, he went from introducing full scores in Hollywood talkies of the 1930s, composing for over 300 titles by the end of his career in the mid-1960s, working at RKO and Warner Bros., into the age of Cinerama and stereophonic sound and his scores and songs also providing for pioneering work in movie soundtrack albums and hit pop-song records. There wasn't even an
Oscar for musical scores until he invented a reason to have one,....

Many classic films from the greatest talents from around the world is the result, including how Steiner took opera to Broadway and Hollywood. In more ways than one, this is a well-scored documentary on one of the most important figures in film history.........

see: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11789508/r ... _=tt_ov_rt
:)
was "mr6666" @ TCM
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I saw Krull a few months ago when it was on HBO. Lavish sets, but the characters didn't have much personality. I did catch Zardoz on underground... that was certainly an experience.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

SAT., 12-10
memorial tribute for Ray Liotta

(times ET)

pm

Dominick And Eugene (1988)
1h 51m | Drama

Story of twin brothers, one of whom is studying to be a doctor, and is being put through medical school by his mentally handicapped sibling.

Director
Robert M Young
Cast
Ray Liotta, Tom Hulce and Jamie Lee Curtis.

"The film received positive reviews, holding a 77% rating on the film-review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes based on 22 reviews. The consensus summarizes: "Thanks to strong performances and a steady directorial hand, Dominick and Eugene successfully navigates potentially tricky themes in thoughtful, compelling fashion without resorting to trite sentimentality." Hulce received a Golden Globe nomination for his performance (Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominick_ ... #Reception

10:00
pm

Something Wild (1986)
1h 56m | Comedy

When conventional New York bond trader Charlie Driggs accepts a ride home from the very unconventional Lulu, his life takes an abrupt turn. Instead of taking him home, the free-spirited Lulu takes Charlie on a road trip to Virginia, introducing him to kinky sex and robbery among other things. ....

Director
Jonathan Demme
Cast
Jeff Daniels, Melanie Griffith, Ray Liotta

"Something Wild was acclaimed by critics. The film holds a 91% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 45 reviews, with an average rating of 7.40/10. The website's critical consensus reads: "Boasting loads of quirky charm, a pair of likable leads, and confident direction from Jonathan Demme, Something Wild navigates its unpredictable tonal twists with room to spare."[5] On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 73 out of 100, based on 14 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Something ... #Reception
:smiley_clap:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
CinemaInternational

Something Wild remains one of the most unpredictable and hair-raising viewings I have ever seen. It starts out as a hard-edged, highly sexualized romantic crime comedy, then it becomes a romantic drama, before becoming a thriller, and then an outright horror film, before ending happily. Griffith and Daniels are both great, Ray Liotta gives one of the most terrifying performances on film, a 1980s answer to Richard Widmark in Kiss of Death.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 9th, 2022, 4:48 am Something Wild remains one of the most unpredictable and hair-raising viewings I have ever seen.
I'm catching up on my Johnathan Demme movies, viewing SWING SHIFT last week. I just requested SOMETHING WILD from my library-I mistakenly thought it was a remake of the movie with Carrol Baker- so thanks for your mention of it.

Johnathan Demme had multiple subscriptions to the magazine I managed/edited, I assume as a guide for historic filming locations. (I never contacted/spoke to him though)
CinemaInternational

TikiSoo wrote: December 9th, 2022, 9:18 am
CinemaInternational wrote: December 9th, 2022, 4:48 am Something Wild remains one of the most unpredictable and hair-raising viewings I have ever seen.
I'm catching up on my Johnathan Demme movies, viewing SWING SHIFT last week. I just requested SOMETHING WILD from my library-I mistakenly thought it was a remake of the movie with Carrol Baker- so thanks for your mention of it.

Johnathan Demme had multiple subscriptions to the magazine I managed/edited, I assume as a guide for historic filming locations. (I never contacted/spoke to him though)
Which one of his have you seen thus far? I've seen quite a few from his filmography, so I think I might be able to help as a guide.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 9th, 2022, 4:48 am Something Wild remains one of the most unpredictable and hair-raising viewings I have ever seen. It starts out as a hard-edged, highly sexualized romantic crime comedy, then it becomes a romantic drama, before becoming a thriller, and then an outright horror film, before ending happily. Griffith and Daniels are both great, Ray Liotta gives one of the most terrifying performances on film, a 1980s answer to Richard Widmark in Kiss of Death.
I saw Something Wild during its initial theatrical release, and have avoided watching it since then precisely because Ray Liotta's psycho terrified me. To me, "Ray Sinclair" is like "Jonathan Brewster" in Arsenic and Old Lace (except that JB never frightened me) -- an outlier who upsets the otherwise light-hearted harmony and rhythm of the movie. I agree with your opinion, CinemaInternational, that, tonally, this "comedy" is all over the map.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
CinemaInternational

EP Millstone wrote: December 9th, 2022, 3:09 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: December 9th, 2022, 4:48 am Something Wild remains one of the most unpredictable and hair-raising viewings I have ever seen. It starts out as a hard-edged, highly sexualized romantic crime comedy, then it becomes a romantic drama, before becoming a thriller, and then an outright horror film, before ending happily. Griffith and Daniels are both great, Ray Liotta gives one of the most terrifying performances on film, a 1980s answer to Richard Widmark in Kiss of Death.
I saw Something Wild during its initial theatrical release, and have avoided watching it since then precisely because Ray Liotta's psycho terrified me. To me, "Ray Sinclair" is like "Jonathan Brewster" in Arsenic and Old Lace (except that JB never frightened me) -- an outlier who upsets the otherwise light-hearted harmony and rhythm of the movie. I agree with your opinion, CinemaInternational, that, tonally, this "comedy" is all over the map.
The film already had a few hints of danger before Liotta arrived with Griffith leading Daniels into a world of petty theft and casual habitual lies (like Daniels saying he was married, when actually he was a bachelor), to say nothing of the very kinky bedroom scene with the handcuffs. They were living life on the wild side, and the film carefully hinted that they could not get away with it. But at the same time, Liotta's character was an awfully fierce punishment for what were at heart, two likable characters, who were already changing toward more normal characters in the Pennsylvania scenes.

I assume it is because of the film's later hairraising scenes that Demme was hired to do Silence of the Lambs a few years later; he had directed a good, Hitchcock-like thriller in 1979 called Last Embrace, but it was not successful.

But getting back to Something Wild and Liotta, the film was released more or less simultaneously with Blue Velvet, and an argument could be made that they are practically twin films, just with slightly different attitudes. Both certainly have berserk, terrifying, psychotic villains, but by 1986, audiences would expect to see Dennis Hopper play a frightening, unhinged villain, whereas Liotta was brand-new to most at the time (he had appeared on some soaps, and in a role in the Pia Zadora "opus" The Lonely Lady). And so, while both are among the scariest roles put to film, Liotta actually comes across as even more of a force of nature than Hopper does, largely because Something Wild initially seems to be light entertainment. (Blue Velvet had dark subterranean currents rippling through it within its first three minutes hinting at all that lay ahead)

Liotta was, by all accounts, a nice guy in real life, and I remember that one member on the old boards who knew him personally offered nothing but praise for him being so kind when he passed away, but the film caused him to be typecast as a sicko afterwards, much like Widmark in the 1940s. Liotta played very few likable roles, although he was good at it in 1994's Corrina Corrina, and it sounds like he plays a nice character in Dominic and Eugene.

As for the comedy heading for the film, it is a major stretch, but is probably derived from the film's competing as a comedy at the 1986 Golden Globes where the two leads were nominated in the comedy acting categories; they lost to Paul Hogan and Sissy Spacek.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

SUN., 12-11 (sounds familiar?)

pm (ET)

Phantom of the Opera (1943)
1h 32m | Adaptation

Pit violinist Claudin hopelessly loves rising operatic soprano Christine Dubois (as do baritone Anatole and police inspector Raoul) and secretly aids her career. But Claudin loses both his touch and his job, murders a rascally music publisher in a fit of madness, and has his face etched with acid.

Director
Arthur Lubin
Cast
Nelson Eddy, Susanna Foster, Claude Rains

".... Despite mixed critical reviews, the film was a box office success. It is also the only classic Universal horror film to win an Oscar, for Art Direction and Cinematography.....
"Though it lives beneath the 1925 version, Claude Rains plays title character well in this landmark color version of the classic tragedy".[14]
Diabolique magazine said "the story was reconfigured as a musical more than a horror saga... Once you accept that, this works well on its own terms and Lubin's touch is assured; it looks splendid".[15] However, many horror fans — especially those of the classic Universal monster films — have criticized the film for focusing on more on the musical aspects of the film, and downplaying or eliminating the horror elements ......."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_o ... #Reception

:smiley_huh:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

ziggy6708a wrote: December 9th, 2022, 10:57 pm . . . However, many horror fans — especially those of the classic Universal monster films — have criticized the film for focusing on more on the musical aspects of the film, and downplaying or eliminating the horror elements ......."
Yes, the problem -- as far as I'm concerned -- with the 1943 version of The Phantom of the Opera is that there's too much opera and not enough Phantom!

That said, I had the thrill of seeing it on "the big screen" on October 29, paired with The Creature from the Black Lagoon, as a Fathom Event. Its narrative faults were not mitigated by the splendors of its Technicolor gloss and bigger budget production writ large. But, the magnification and spectacle of those two benefits did make me better appreciate the movie.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Mon., 12-12

4:00
pm (et)

Five Days One Summer (1982)
1h 48m | Drama
In 1932, a middle-aged Scottish doctor named Douglas goes on a mountain climbing excursion in the Alps with the lovely, young Kate, whom he introduces as his wife. In fact, Kate is the doctor's niece, and has been in love with him since she was a little girl. While staying in this idyllic setting at the mountain lodge, the couple's happiness is marred by bouts of melancholy. So when their young guide Johann becomes attracted to Kate, there is a possibility that she might respond to him.

Director
Fred Zinnemann
Cast
Sean Connery, Betsy Brantley, Lambert Wilson

"Five Days One Summer served as Zinnermann's final film before his death. The film was a commercial and critical failure. .....
".......It contains superb location with exquisite cinematography by Giuseppe Rotunno, adding dimension to the story, including remarkable mountain climbing footage . As well as a sensitive and moving musical score by the classic composer Elmer Bernstein. This was last movie to come from the distinguished Austrian-born filmmaker Fred Zinnemann , but being slow-going and a little bit boring . The film is well directed , though inferior than others Zinnemann movies . As Fred directed good flicks , such as : High Noon, The Seventh Cross , Act of violence , The Men, From here to Eternity, Oklahoma ! , The Search , The Nun's story , The Sundowners , A Man for all seasons , The Day of Jackal , Julia , among others . Rating : 6/10 . Well worth watching . The picture will appeal to Sean Connery fans . Essential and indispensable seeing for Fred Zinnemann completists ...."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083947/re ... =tt_ql_urv

:smiley_huh:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

late FRI., 12-16, early Sat. Underground II .....

3:45
am (ET)

The Oracle (1987)
1h 34m | Horror

A spirit reaches out from beyond the grave in an attempt to contact a young woman to help it avenge its murder.

Director
Roberta Findlay
Cast
Roger Neil, Chris Maria Dekoron, Stacey Graves

LOL.....4.5 *** on IMDB :woohoo:

"......The curse of the 80s horror cheese (that's extremely cheesy by the way) strikes again in this ridiculously dumb and cheaply done bungle of lightweight schlock. Despite being a rather ghastly piece, it's oddly watchable and to a certain degree enjoyable junk. Honestly the premise is quite unique and there are inventive ideas cooked up, on the other hand the budget and the execution doesn't entirely complement the vision. But then who am I to complain when it didn't cop out on the splatter. It's grisly, outlandish and terribly campy stuff! Watch the blood fly across the screen. An ominously brooding atmosphere with a murky colour scheme and jittery sound effects adds to the fun. A blunt synthesizer packed score springs into action and the shoddy special effects (like the rotting corpse and a green floating skull) are unintentionally funny........"

"......The flavorsome yuletide setting and authentically grimy New York City locations that include the once infamous 42nd Street in all its former scuzzy neon slime urban splendor further enhance this clunker's considerable shabby charm. An amusingly awful hoot."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089735/re ... =tt_ql_urv

:shock:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

I thought that one was pretty lousy (4/10), but others' mileage may vary.
Watching until the end.