Noir Alley

Hibi

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Hibi »

DOUBLE POST
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Hibi wrote: January 19th, 2023, 9:50 am Considering this was the only time, I think, that Bogie and Stanwyck starred in a film together, I thought it was a disappointing effort (standard woman in distress flick). It wasn't awful or anything, just predictable. Reminded me of another film of Bogie's around this time period (also with Alexis Smith) whose title escapes me now.
The film with Bogart and Alexis Smith is called CONFLICT.

I agree about The Two Mrs. Carroll's. I've seen the film a number if times, hoping I'd like it better, never happens. Bogart overacted I think, that last scene on the staircase when he shrugs and has a perplexed look on his face is ridiculous. Not a fan of this film. A waste of Bogart and Stanwyck's great talents.
Maybe a different director could have made a better film.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: January 19th, 2023, 9:50 am Considering this was the only time, I think, that Bogie and Stanwyck starred in a film together, I thought it was a disappointing effort (standard woman in distress flick). It wasn't awful or anything, just predictable.
Warner Bros. contracted with Stanwyck on two films in 1947, with two of their biggest male stars: Bogart and Flynn (for Cry Wolf). Like you said these films are not awful, but only so-so, and with talent like that, disappointing efforts. Stanwyck wouldn't make another film with WB until 1953, Blowing Wild with Cary Cooper, also a so-so effort.

The only Stanwyck post-WWII WB film that shines is the holiday romp Christmas in Connecticut (1945).
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 19th, 2023, 1:35 pm
Hibi wrote: January 19th, 2023, 9:50 am Considering this was the only time, I think, that Bogie and Stanwyck starred in a film together, I thought it was a disappointing effort (standard woman in distress flick). It wasn't awful or anything, just predictable.
Warner Bros. contracted with Stanwyck on two films in 1947, with two of their biggest male stars: Bogart and Flynn (for Cry Wolf). Like you said these films are not awful, but only so-so, and with talent like that, disappointing efforts. Stanwyck wouldn't make another film with WB until 1953, Blowing Wild with Cary Cooper, also a so-so effort.

The only Stanwyck post-WWII WB film that shines is the holiday romp Christmas in Connecticut (1945).
Yes, and both similar storylines with Barbara as a damsel in distress and with Flynn/Bogie as the heavies in both films. Not very original. I think they had the same director too?

My Reputation ('46) was good. (though made earlier in the 40s) Babs career was starting to decline around this time. There were still a few good roles/films ahead of her (Sorry, Wrong Number; Executive Suite, etc.) but definitely a decline in the quality of the films she appeared in. Had she been cast in The Fountainhead, as she wanted, maybe it would've rejuvenated her career for awhile.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: January 19th, 2023, 3:18 pm

Yes, and both similar storylines with Barbara as a damsel in distress and with Flynn/Bogie as the heavies in both films. Not very original. I think they had the same director too?

My Reputation ('46) was good. (though made earlier in the 40s) Babs career was starting to decline around this time. There were still a few good roles/films ahead of her (Sorry, Wrong Number; Executive Suite, etc.) but definitely a decline in the quality of the films she appeared in. Had she been cast in The Fountainhead, as she wanted, maybe it would've rejuvenated her career for awhile.
So Hibi. Might those "etc" movies perhaps be any of the following films that I would classify as "good" and which I think Babs does good work in?

East Side, West Side (1949)

The Furies (1950)

Titanic (1953)

The Violent Men (1955)

There's Always Tomorrow (1956)
jameselliot

Post by jameselliot »

Thunder Road: the bootleggers meeting needed trimming. It went on too long. The night time driving scenes looked like day for night photography. Overall, TR needed another moonshine run. Mitchum was spot-on in the role and carries the entire movie. The actress who played their mother was perfect. Hitting the other driver in the face with a cigarette was not a believable move. His scenes with Keely had no spark. Even so, the movie had playdates into the 70s and is a classic.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: January 19th, 2023, 7:28 pm
Hibi wrote: January 19th, 2023, 3:18 pm

So Hibi. Might those "etc" movies perhaps be any of the following films that I would classify as "good" and which I think Babs does good work in?

East Side, West Side (1949)

The Furies (1950)

Titanic (1953)

The Violent Men (1955)

There's Always Tomorrow (1956)

Yeah, for the most part, though I don't think all the films above are great. And don't forget No Man of Her Own. Babs never disappoints!
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Don't forget the interesting, quirky western Forty Guns. It's worth the watch . Stanwyck does most of the dangerous stunts herself. The stunt woman refused to do a dangerous stunt , so Stanwyck insisted doing it herself. She's dragged 100 feet on the ground by her horse. Her foot is caught in the stirrup.
It's a good western, with a dark, sort of noirish feel. Stanwyck plays a tough rancher, always coming to the defense of her spoiled, violent brother. I like this one, too bad it's not shown very often. It's a Samuel Fuller,
mid 1950's western also starring Barry Sullivan and Gene Barry.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Forty Guns is a riveting film, and the fact that Stanwyck did so many of her own stunts through the years creates such rich performances. Fuller’s vision for the film made history concerning such a determined yet flawed, female character.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

SueSue, glad you also enjoy Forty Guns. I'm always on the look out for it, it's shown so rarely. That stunt when she's dragged tby her horse thru that wind storm with the tumbleweed is riveting. Barbara Stanwyck is my favorite actress, so great in every type of film
She was one determined, tough actress and always a pleasure to watch.
Hoganman1

Post by Hoganman1 »

Well THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS was disappointing. I am a huge Bogart fan, but this was not his best work. Eddie said Bogart didn't like the film and knew he was wrong for the role. Apparently, his desire to work with Barbara Stanwyck clouded his judgement. I totally agree that his performance was "over the top" as was Stanwyck's towards the end. For me, the only bright spot was Nigel Bruce's portrayal of a bumbling physician with a drinking problem. Also, the housekeeper was entertaining. Otherwise, it's easy to see why it was panned by the critics.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Well THE TWO MRS CARROLLS was not bad. I am a middling Bogart fan, and I thought this was some of his best work. He was playing against type and therefore actually had to act. He was quite right for the role, especially because he could escape the usual persona, his iconic self. The critics were probably paid to pan him to appease the adoring fans who want to see type over and over again. It was nice to see some angst, like a real person. It was a cop out to make him seem so deranged so that choir could say, "See, he's not a bad guy, he's just sick." They did the same with In a Lonely Place. He really was deranged there too but instead of holding him responsible for his mistreadings most fans think that because it was Bogie he was victimized by Laurel which was a lot fat hooey. It is nice to see Barbara as a sweet girl. The little girl was hopelessly precocious but it somehow worked. It was necessary to have her that way and giving her just enough naivete so there were no real questions asked when Barbie was getting scared. The housekeeper was overdone. The ending also but what's new, that Hollywood. The doctor was annoying. I'm sorry not to have seen made "The Next Mrs Carroll," where Bogart escapes and meets Alexis Smith down in Rio, complete with paint and easel and a fine store of milk in the fridge.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Andree

Post by Andree »

Not a good painter? I'll have you know I was at the top of my class in The Famous Artists' School
of Dubuque. Put that in your tea cozy and warm it.

One Mrs. would have been more than sufficient. This wasn't quite as over the top as I remember. But it is
rather routine with not much to distinguish it from the usual hubby falls in love with another woman and
decides to kill his present wife. And Bogie's Angel of Death shtick is more silly than scary. Not ever seeing
the first Mrs. Carroll makes her death seem rather insignificant in the general scheme of things. I've always
though Alexis Smith was pretty sexy, though it is often subdued. Here she's totally on the prowl and makes
some clever cutting remarks along the way. Toward the end of the movie she makes what would seem to be
a good plan: She loves Bogie, Bogie loves her. Penny loves Sally, Sally is frightened of Bogie. Why not just
do the legal necessities and just switch partners. But then you wouldn't have much of a Hollywood picture.
There are some nice spooky shots in this one, but there are not enough of them. Ann Carter was one of the
most attractive child actors around and she is enjoyable as the wise beyond her years kid. And it was fun
to see Dr. Watson with a goatee. But otherwise this is just pretty standard studio Bluebeard fare.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Hoganman1

Post by Hoganman1 »

I agree that Alexis Smith was quite stunning.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Yes, quite a looker back in the day. She was also very attractive in that other, similar film with Bogie, Conflict, though
she played a sweeter character in that one.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky